Which do you prefer... (Read 889 times)

evtish

I'm working on getting my 5k down to 7 minute miles on a consistent basis and this challege is hovering over me. I think out of frustration I look forward to speed workouts to help me reach the goal once and for all!!
    My vote's for speed. M - Doesn't look like that's going to be a problem based on your 5k times. That's my goal for now too, I just haven't done it yet except on a TM. 6k in 3 wks, I'll see where I stand.
    UpNorth

Speed baby! I love the feeling of pushing until I collapse on the ground in a heap in exhaustion (FWIW... I've never puked from a workout). Now that's a workout!
      Scout7

I'm working on getting my 5k down to 7 minute miles on a consistent basis and this challege is hovering over me. I think out of frustration I look forward to speed workouts to help me reach the goal once and for all!!
        You don't need speed workouts to get there.
          Long runs! I can't even do training programs with speedwork greater than tempo runs or pace runs. But that explains my propensity for consistently being the slowest runner around.
          2008 Goals
        • Run 1250 miles
        • Get down to 135!
        • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
          • long runs. I don't like pain
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              I feel the need... the need for SPEED.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Speed! I like it fast Wink Not that I'm that fast really, but I'd take a tempo run over a long run most any day.
                  Speed! I like it fast Wink Not that I'm that fast really, but I'd take a tempo run over a long run most any day.
                  Me too! Of course after doing a tempo run I think about how a nice long easy run would be relaxing, but by then I'm all out of energy! Big grin

Michelle

I prefer really long runs...

Long runs or speed workouts?
                      Yes please.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Mr R

It depends what you mean by each. I have finally learned to love a long, hard run. I like doing a 12-16 miler, with the last 4 or so being pretty tough, not because I've sped up (that much), but because I'm finally getting a little fatigued. Hard track work is usually the highlight of my week. It helps to have people to do it with. I love going into my final rep and knowing that I've got enough left in the tank to really nail it. Then, I like writing my times down on the clipboard, with my hand still shaking. I always feel like I've really accomplished or produced something after a track workout.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Michelle

I have finally learned to love a long, hard run. I like doing a 12-16 miler, with the last 4 or so being pretty tough, not because I've sped up (that much), but because I'm finally getting a little fatigued.
                            I'm getting to this point. Not this week but with my 14 miler two weeks ago I had to speed up to get back to the parking lot before dark ( I was running the trail at a local park). I was tired at the end but it felt great knowing that I had no choice but to speed up (just a little but enough that I noticed). Smile

Michelle

Long run. Like the adventure of running for a long time.
                              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                                SPEED. hands down. I have a VERY restless mind so a long run for me is actually torturous. The speed at least varies it up a little for me.