Bug Spray!! (Read 886 times)

It's that time of the year! Since this is the first summer where I'm going to be going through the woods regularly, and from the bugs that were out today, I know I'm going to have to start wearing something to help keep them off of me. Anyone have any "bug spray preferences"? Have you found any to work better than others? Anything out there that does the job really well but doesn't have a lot of fragrance?? Thanks!
    Scout7

I've used this stuff called Maxi-Deet, got it at Wal-Mart. That stuff worked pretty good. Stings on bare skin, though, probably because it's around 90% deet. It sorta melted some of the plastic face on my watch, too.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I've used this stuff called Maxi-Deet, got it at Wal-Mart. That stuff worked pretty good. Stings on bare skin, though, probably because it's around 90% deet. It sorta melted some of the plastic face on my watch, too.
          Thanks Scout! LOL. Melts and stings. Hmmm.... tempting!!! Big grin
            I prefere Burts Bees Insect repellant http://www.amazon.com/Burts-Bees-Herbal-Insect-Repellent/dp/B00012NJFA
            Hey! I'm sure my local health store would carry that. If not, they'd order it for me. Thanks Pam!
              They should Joni, mine does. Oh and anytime!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just figure it means I need to run faster than the skeeters. If they bite me then I know that I need to plan tempo runs if I'm out at twilight! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Thanks Scout! LOL. Melts and stings. Hmmm.... tempting!!! Big grin
                  Hey, when you have to spend 3 weeks in the woods of southern Virginia, at the height of tick season, with no chance for showers in that time, you'll do whatever it takes.....
                    I use spray on OFF! and deep woods OFF! usually just on my legs. The spray on stuff I think is made for children. Not sure how bug repellent affects sunscreen but it's probably something I should look into. The summer problem we have here in TX is the chiggers and mosquitoes! Thankfully, I do not have to live in the woods of AK in the summer... that place has way too many mosquitos!

Vim

Hey, when you have to spend 3 weeks in the woods of southern Virginia, at the height of tick season, with no chance for showers in that time, you'll do whatever it takes.....
                      Well I guess if you put it that way!.... What are you/ were you doing in the woods for *3* weeks if you don't mind my asking? That's a LONG time to bond with nature!!
                        Not sure how bug repellent affects sunscreen but it's probably something I should look into. The summer problem we have here in TX is the chiggers and mosquitoes! Thankfully, I do not have to live in the woods of AK in the summer... that place has way too many mosquitos!
                        Good point about the sunscreen and bug spray. I'm too tired to Google right now, but it's something to check out! We get bugs here so thick sometimes that we can't even go out in the yard (surrounded by woods). I'll probably be forced out of the woods at some point, but I'll try to keep them at bay as long as possible. Thanks for the suggestion!
                          Joni, I read your message earlier and was thinking to myself how glad I was the mosquitos hadn't gotten out of control in S. FL yet.... then I went for my run today. We have had lots of coastal flooding and there is tons of standing wate-- which the bugs were swarming all over. I'm glad I had sunglasses on, b/c they were plastered to my face... eww!
                            I use spray on OFF! and deep woods OFF! usually just on my legs. The spray on stuff I think is made for children. Not sure how bug repellent affects sunscreen but it's probably something I should look into. The summer problem we have here in TX is the chiggers and mosquitoes! Thankfully, I do not have to live in the woods of AK in the summer... that place has way too many mosquitos!
                            Don't forget the mayflies (which usually come in April) and junebugs (which usually come in May) - stupid bugs. I realize that the rest of the country counts that as Spring, but here in Texas we have winter for 3 months and then Summer for 9 months.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I just figure it means I need to run faster than the skeeters. If they bite me then I know that I need to plan tempo runs if I'm out at twilight! Big grin k
                              Skeeters are too fun! What I find works for me is to get some Vitamin B complex Stress Tabs. For the first few days or until your pee is BRIGHT YELLOW take 3 times the dose, then back off to the normal dose. For some reason skeeters don't like it and leave you alone.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Scout7

Bananas work for some people. Eat more bananas, the skeeters won't be as interested. Eating match heads also works (the sulfur). Those lovely summer "retreats" were for the Army.