2013 Sub-19 5K (Read 1932 times)

I *also* ran 19:42 today. Plan was to hit 2 miles in 12:20 and then lay it down the last mile, but I died instead and ran a bloody 6:28 for mile 3. Pretty frustrating to feel like I've made basically no progress in the last six months despite running 200+ miles/month the whole time and hitting some good workouts. Maybe it's the humidity, who knows.

some call me Tim

Nice race and writeup, gitgan, and I totally understand the frustration of you others who are so narrowly missing. I didn't mean to, but I raced compulsively and with many disappointments until I managed the goal. Certainly in a lot of places the building heat and humidity can wreck your race, depending upon the day.

My own results since the sub 19 make me wonder how difficult it actually is to run an even race - every time my splits look good I come up just a little short. Case in point: in 2 different 5ks this saturday, the first had great splits that varied only by a few seconds from one another and netted 19:01, and the second was 18:57 despite that I was tired and chased the leaders in a small race to a 5:40 first mile before adjusting. From where I stand it looks like a talent for self flagellation is key, but perhaps that's just the painful stand-in for the smart race you all are getting so close to.

I *also* ran 19:42 today. Plan was to hit 2 miles in 12:20 and then lay it down the last mile, but I died instead and ran a bloody 6:28 for mile 3. Pretty frustrating to feel like I've made basically no progress in the last six months despite running 200+ miles/month the whole time and hitting some good workouts. Maybe it's the humidity, who knows.

Couple things, humidity\heat is absolutely a major factor.  So don't discount that.  If you were running similar times in much better conditions than you are fitter but not seeing the results.  Another suggestion I would make is to ditch the watch, reading your report sounds like a lot of number crunching going on during the race. Screw the watch, just go and run as fast as you can for 5k, you might surprise yourself.  Seems like a lot of the breakthroughs on this board, even this thread come when people ditch the watch.  Good luck!

Thanks, that sounds like good advice! I keep reading about people ditching their watches and running really well, but I've been too scared to try it so far. I'm running a low-key 5k next month (not a goal race, just for fun) so that should be a good time to give it a shot. You're right, I am usually way too obsessed with my splits - I need to learn to race based on effort and placement.

Edit: Just kidding, I'm actually going to race again this weekend. No watch!

Couple things, humidity\heat is absolutely a major factor.  So don't discount that.  If you were running similar times in much better conditions than you are fitter but not seeing the results.  Another suggestion I would make is to ditch the watch, reading your report sounds like a lot of number crunching going on during the race. Screw the watch, just go and run as fast as you can for 5k, you might surprise yourself.  Seems like a lot of the breakthroughs on this board, even this thread come when people ditch the watch.  Good luck!

Went out last Friday and raced by myself for a 19:30.  Shocked myself a little because I haven't ran much the last 2 months, maybe 50 miles total, but rode about 750 miles on the bike.  It was 75 and humid on Friday for the 19:30 and the same HR that I ran in March in 40 degrees for a 20:42, so fitness is improving.  It's feeling like sub-19 in the Fall.

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed following along and reading the reports.  Great efforts to read about!  And don't discount heat and humidity - its affected me by as much as 90 seconds at top efforts on identical courses two weeks apart.

I'm absolutely struggling with burnout and fatigue the past few months, even on the less than 20 miles a week I have been doing most of this year.  I'm up almost 15 pounds this year and many nights can't get off the couch to even get my shoes on...and when I have been its been forced and I've cut nearly every run short.  I often have headaches and soreness (even when not running).  This is incredibly unusual for me as my "breaks" since quitting the college team way back when have always been by choice/sheer laziness...I have never been this fatigued before, even when sick or even when training far too hard....and within a week I recover.  There's enough going on that I've made an appt with the doc for the 17th.  I'm not sure if this is an "okay you're almost 40 its time to slow down some after 27 years of running" or else something deeper and more worrisome.  Anyone have experience on this?

Going on vacation this week so I'm trying something radical (for me) in running "incredibly slow" just to get time in until I can get some sort of base/momentum going.  "incredibly slow" for me means even slower than the 8:20-8:30 range I've backed off to after running mainly at or just under 8 min easy pace.  Whatever it needs to be to run x number of minutes.  If I don't run, the way I eat I will be 300 pounds by Christmas.

Oh yeah I should mention I'm already being treated for clinical depression, but that hasn't changed from before when running extremely well 2-3 years ago for example.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oh yeah I should mention I'm already being treated for clinical depression, but that hasn't changed from before when running extremely well 2-3 years ago for example.

Have your meds changed?  Many anti-depressants cause fatigue.

steph  

ives

Forgot I was subscribed to this thread.

Anyhow, aged 50, do about 12 miles a week due to knee issues. All of the miles are either intervals or tempos.No junk.

Last month I managed 18'55 on a pan flat race in nice temps. I felt really strong in that race and red-lined it all the way round. Only faded in the last 1/2k a bit. It hurt like hell.

Since then my form has fallen off a cliff and I've struggled in a couple of races posting mid to high 19's. Not sure why: might be heat or cutting out tempo runs for more track intervals. I think it's the latter. Tried a tempo yesterday and I was WAY off my usual pace.

Runner100

-

SubDood

After a pretty solid summer training block, I finally got this monkey off my back with my first "fall" 5K today. Squeaked out an 18:59. Had to sprint when I saw the clock on the final turn. Very happy with this race as it was a bit hot and the course was pretty hilly. Scored a gift cert as second master overall. Relieved to finally break 19 again after several near misses in the Spring. I have another two 5ks lined up this month and I'm going to to keep pushing on. Hope everyone's training is going well. Any other sub-19'ers still shooting for this goal in the fall race season?

Congrats Dougal! I'd take a "squeaker"! Sounds like good momentum going into your next 2 races.  Good luck!

I'm not a sub-19'er (not since 1982, at least), but sub-19 seems possible (if maybe a long shot) for me in an early October race.

Runner100

-

Runner100

-

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Wow, congrats, Dougal.  Great race report.  And 1st?!  Wow.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Runner100

-