To GPS or not to GPS... (Read 1560 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I wear a (non-Garmin) GPS because I want to.  I wear headphones because I want to.  I use hiking poles in hilly races sometimes... because... you guessed it... I want to.  I run in a way that makes me happy, which is the entire reason I run.  

I really don't care what other people think.  I gave up caring about other people's opinions on such matters a long time ago.  Smile  

+1 (slightly modified)

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

kcam

Just out of curiosity, when you pore over the data, do you do anything afterward?  In other words, are you using that data to drive your future training and racing?  If so, how?

Honest questions.

Most times I don't really do anything with the data other than marvel at it but sometimes I find a use for it.

Here's an example of how I sometimes use the data -

I ran a XC race this Saturday using my Dick Tracy watch (Garmin 305).  Now I have an actual map of the race (which would be difficult, but not impossible, to reproduce using the RA map feature - trails are hard to map).  With the Gamin it's just there.   I don't use the GPS elevation info but I DO use the topo elevation gain/loss data to estimate what I MIGHT have run that day on a flat course of the same distance.  The Runworks calculator does this.   Gives me another indication of current fitness level that I might not have.  I base my training paces on current fitness levels.  I may not change what I'm doing based on one race but it's another piece of info to use.

Nice team camaraderie. Smile

It's great for keeping me from running too hard on easy days...

+1

I'm fairly obsessive about using mine, but I'm not obsessive about looking at it or being ruled by it during workouts.  To answer Scout's question: (a) I use it to teach myself discipline in terms of running truly "easy" on my easy days; (b) I use it to help learn what different paces feel like; (c) I check out my times/paces and corresponding HR afterward to see if the data confirms what I felt (if I even felt anything about the effort) and that I didn't go overboard trying to hit my times/paces; and (d) since I work with a coach who's not local, I can upload my info and let him pore over it afterward.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Yeah I just thought it was a funny video. I don't really care why someone does or doesn't run with GPS or whether they use the data or not.

Runners run

ymmv

I use the data only to annoy people who don't like it.

Yeah I just thought it was a funny video. I don't really care why someone does or doesn't run with GPS or whether they use the data or not.

C'mon. You've been here long enough to know what you were starting. 

C'mon. You've been here long enough to know what you were starting. 

Well, okay, yeah I did. That doesn't mean I care about the answers though.

Runners run

Some fast mofo's in that car.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, okay, yeah I did. That doesn't mean I care about the answers though.

Borrowing a page from the Trent playbook?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Some fast mofo's in that car.

A couple sub-4's and a 13:29.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Ah, college.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

The video is great. Kyle is definitely a Garmin junky.

I love that he gets up to speed first and pauses on turn-arounds.

Maybe he can do that in his races so he doesn't confuse a 6:30 pace for a 5:00 pace

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

These youngsters are shining examples, demonstrating that you don't need a GPS to have a good time.   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What about GPS watches and running skirts?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.