1.5 miles under 9:30 (Read 170 times)

tomkun

Hey everyone I am training for air force boot camp, I am leaving to bmt on Dec 3rd. I wanted to know whats the best way I should train to run 1.5miles under 9:30. Currently Ive been training on the treadmill at a pace of 6mph and the fastest I can run 1.5miles was about 15 minutes.

flatfootruns

I'm not a running trainer, but start with getting off the TM, use it to warm up...find a 1/2 loop out side and do 1 slow 1 fast 1 slow to start, build from there, after that, there's nothing wrong with running a little further then 1.5...Good Luck...enjoy the burn...

tomkun

Yeah I plan on running at the local track nearby, I only been using the treadmill to help with my conditioning.

I did 20 years in the USN, just retired and I only hit a sub-10 on my last PFA test. (9:46).  I'm curious why you are pushing for a 9:30... Is that to hit the "Outstanding" standards on the PFA?

As to the question, if you have not run much before, it will take some time to build up to a fast pace.  Consistency is key, I.E.  Running 3 to 4 times a week.  If you do decide to do the treadmill, the way I improved time was to treadmill run 3-4 times a week, but I stepped up the pace by 0.1 MPH the next time, every time I felt that I could have run faster after completing a run.   So essentially, adding 0.1 mph about every 3 or 4 workouts.   Don't push too hard  too fast though or you risk injury.  Also, best to mix in some longer, but slower-paced runs.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

tomkun

Well the minimum for the 1.5miles is 11.57, honor grad is 9:30 and highest standard is 8:55. I think 8:55 would be a little to much for me so I wanted to get a better time the 9:30 to atleast make honor grad. Thank for the advice by the way, I'll keep it mind.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It depends what base you have now -- how much you've been running, and for how long.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

A Saucy Wench

Build up to a longer distance (3-5 miles) without worrying about pace - get off the track or tm and just go for a run on the roads.  That will get you the most bang.   Throw in shorter intervals of a faster pace (on a different day than the longest day).

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Without more information about your training, previous running history etc, I am thinking taking 4:30 off your time in two months is highly unlikely.   Even taking 3 minutes off is pretty aggressive. Have you considered what will happen if you go out at a pace you can't handle and have to walk the last half mile in?

xhristopher

I'm going to say it's not going to happen and you should adjust your expectations realistically. If it were to happen you'd be running enough you wouldn't have to ask.

Do you know any way I can bench press another 100lbs by December or is that too much to ask?

Feeling the growl again

Without more information about your training, previous running history etc, I am thinking taking 4:30 off your time in two months is highly unlikely.   Even taking 3 minutes off is pretty aggressive. Have you considered what will happen if you go out at a pace you can't handle and have to walk the last half mile in?

Agreed.  Your goal is likely not doable in the timeframe you have arbitrarily assigned to it.  I would recommend you just make sure you hit the easier bar this time, then keep training until you make the higher goal.

The biggest thing you need to do is just get out consistently and log longer and longer distances at an easy pace.  Perhaps counter-intuitively to newer runners, this is where your greatest amount of improvement will come....easy running consistently.  I don't know if you are a new runner or not but newer runners tend to go out and hammer a time trail, "racing" most of their runs, thinking that to run fast they have to train fast every run.  It doesn't work that way.  At this point, there is no need to run hard more than once a week.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

obiebyke

Yes, running on a TM at 6mph yields a 15:00 1.5. Every time.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

tomkun

I see what you guys mean, I'll just stick with trying to get under 11:57 but ill make it a goal of mine to get under 9:30 by the end of boot camp with I take the final PT test.

How about signing up for a 5K, and see how long you can hold that 8:00 mile pace required to get to that 11:57, If you can make it to the one mile mark under 8, you have a pretty good chance of making it to 1.5 miles at that pace with a bit more running.  Easier to run with others than trying to do it on a treadmill or as a solo time trial.