Google really is invading our privacy (Read 974 times)

Scout7

I find nothing better about jamming up my phone with crap I never wanted in there and was not asked if I wanted it added....

Never buy a smart phone.  You can't get one without all the crap.

If I weren't so lazy, I would figure out how to get rid of Facebook and Twitter from my phone.

Feeling the growl again

Never buy a smart phone.  You can't get one without all the crap.

If I weren't so lazy, I would figure out how to get rid of Facebook and Twitter from my phone.

Well, I am a simpleton and I figure I have to keep up with SOME technology, lest I be left behind on all of it and spend my time texting the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn long after they have moved onto only twitter/facebooking/IMing each other.

I hate, HATE to admit it, but I'm tempted to get an iPhone when this thing dies.  I try to do everything I can to prevent an Apple monopoly, but I have been disappointed in Android.  By the time I get my phone updated (a 1hr+ ordeal in itself) they're texting me to update it again.  The OS is constantly glitchy and running slow.  My wife never experiences this with her iPhone.

I apparently unhooked it from a computer wrong (which I had to borrow, can't update on a Mac and we don't own a PC anymore) and now for a month I've been getting frequent freezing and error messages from the tethering program that won't turn off.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Scout7

Are you using HTC?  If so, switch to another manufacturer.

I have the original Droid from Motorola, and I have never had any of the problems you describe.

Prince of Fatness

I hate, HATE to admit it, but I'm tempted to get an iPhone when this thing dies.  I try to do everything I can to prevent an Apple monopoly, but I have been disappointed in Android.  By the time I get my phone updated (a 1hr+ ordeal in itself) they're texting me to update it again.  The OS is constantly glitchy and running slow.  My wife never experiences this with her iPhone.

Just do what I do and get a cheapo phone.  If I need to make a call, I can.  I can send a quick text message.  What more do you need?

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I have the original Droid from Motorola, and I have never had any of the problems you describe.

Samsung Galaxy on AT&T.

Yes, you are correct, I would probably try one more by another maker before I sold my soul to Apple.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Just do what I do and get a cheapo phone.  If I need to make a call, I can.  I can send a quick text message.  What more do you need?

I travel a lot for work.  They give us blackberries which are good for email and suck for everything else.  I really like having internet and some of the features when on the go.  Often now I can forego the headache of trying to get my laptop connected remotely (dang work firewalls/security) and have everything I need on mobile devices.  With my work iPad soon to be completely hooked up and on our network I'll probably stop lugging the laptop as much.

There is nothing quick about text messaging on a 3-letter-per-button phone, I come from a Razr of many years.  I used to not see the point in texting (I said I was a simpleton getting behind on technology) but now that I can text easily I use it a lot with my wife.  We can converse back and forth while I'm at work and it does not intrude on me getting things done like a call would...and with the baby etc she's a lot more likely to respond to texts than to be able to pick up the phone.

mikeymike

I have an HTC (my 2nd) and have never had any of the problems described either.  Or any problems at all.  And I think it's been updated a grand total of once in the 9 months I've owned it.  I also don't know why you'd connect a smart phone to a computer unless it was just to charge it.  I would give up my laptop or any type of computer way before I'd give up my smartphone at this point.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I also don't know why you'd connect a smart phone to a computer unless it was just to charge it.  I would give up my laptop or any type of computer way before I'd give up my smartphone at this point.

In order to do the update, you MUST install a program on your computer (which took forever to download and install), then download the update, then hook up the phone to do the update.  Each time.  The file size to do the update was large, how large I don't recall.

Looks like I may be looking for an HTC when this thing pukes.

mikeymike

That's goofy.  My Android phones get updated over the air.  What's the point of building a gazillion dollar data network if you're not gonna use it?

Runners run

mikeymike

Oh and I may soon be forced against my will to move to AT&T and so I've done a little research.  The HTC phones available on AT&T kind of suck.  I think the best one they have is probably the Motorola Atrix.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Looks like I may be looking for an HTC when this thing pukes.

Heh, and my experience with an HTC was not good...at least not after the 8 month mark when they rolled out the Gingerbread OTA update.  My phone was totally fubar'd after that. 

I do love my iPhone.  I also love that it didn't come pre-loaded with a ton of bloatware that could not be shut down.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

Wow.  I'm an IT guy, and you all are geeks.

Not at it at all. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

+1.  Droid X, and I'm extremely happy with it.  Had a couple of OS updates over the air that took maybe ten minutes max.

Are you using HTC? 

Not since high school....wait, HTC?  never mind.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn