First Marathon, Too! (Read 561 times)

This place must be contagious. Smile I ran the Harrisburg Marathon, with a goal time of 3:15 (BQ). That's a 7:26 pace. The goal was to go out @ 7:20 pace amd hang on for as long as I could... which turned out to be 18 miles. :O Miles 19-22 were at 7:40 and then the wheels came off. I finished just under 3:19, but am still pleased with this - I came back to running after a 12 year layoff 16 months ago. Those who know I'm diabetic: My blood sugar was 190 at the start, I took a little insulin throughout and took gels based on my training plan. Because I did so many tests during training, I didn't stop to test my blood sugar once. I finished with a blood sugar of 105, which is cool. Boston's Standards beat me, but diabetes didn't. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

va

Wow Marcus, very well done! Congrats!!! You used the FIRST training plan, right? Any retrospective comments about it now that you've completed your marathon?
        For a first effort, that is nothing short of AMAZING. My hat's off to you my friend, you gave that marathon a good and proper ass-kicking.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Wow, amazing race!! Great job! A 3:19 is nothing to sneeze it Smile
          2009: BQ?
            Twelve years off, and then a 3:19 - that's awesome. I'm looking in the crystal ball and it shows a BQ in your near future!
              You used the FIRST training plan, right? Any retrospective comments about it now that you've completed your marathon?
              Thanks to all for the kind comments and congrats on your own races. We're all a bunch of studs and studettes, I think. In the end, I used the FIRST concept: 3 runs + 2 cross-training days per week. The tempo and interval workouts were often a bit too challenging for me, though, so I often subsctituted them for workouts in Fitzgerald's new Brain Training book. Thoughts: I never got hurt during the entire program. A few times, I had to tone down a workout if I wasn't recovered, but I never took a goose-egg. I think that's because I was only running 3 days a week (the other 2 days, I cycled). I think that's the best thing I can say about FIRST. I spent a high percentage of time going fast (for me) and didn't mess myself up. I got a lot faster during the training -- with 2 half-marathon PR's and 1 5k PR - I think that was because of the intensity of the workouts. However, NONE of this prevented the wall, which blew my doors off at the 22 mile mark... I'll be spending the next few weeks thinking about that. More than likely, I'll move more to Fitzgerald's Brain Training program, which only has 1 day of cross training, and 1 more run. I'm thinking a little more running would've helped (but also think my body benefitted from NOT running so much). However, if my body can handle it, I'll continue to try and handle the long run pacing from the FIRST program. I think it's important to train to your strengths, and that long run was my strength. The tempos on the FIRST plan were - by far - my weakness. All of that being said, it helps to be "into" cross training. Triathlon taught me two things: I'm a miserable biker and b. Biking makes me a better runner. So I learned to stay out of triathlons but use the training to be a better runner. One more thing: today's course was very flat, except some stupid hills in miles 18 and 19, which is not a fun place to put hills. Next year, I'm driving up-state for the Steamtown Marathon. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

That's awesome, Marcus! Congrats on a great time in your first marathon! Amazing!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Another Passion

WTG Marcus! That's awesome!

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Good job out there Marcus!! Glad the blood sugar worked out well- now you know your plan for keepiong that in check worked- one less thing to worry about during the next marathon. Very impressive marathon debut.
                    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                      Fantastic, fast race. You should give talks to other diabetics and let them know ehat can be done. Smile
                      bas

Congratulations from another first timer! What an incredible time you ran! I will never come close to that even if I run a hundred marathons. bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East