Kilometers vs Miles (Read 2001 times)

Why are races usually in kilometers vs miles? Is it because we're about the only ones not in the metric world and kilometers ARE the common measurement? Just curious.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yep. Anywhere other than the USA everything is in kilometers. That "26" marker is not so welcome when it's 26 km Tongue

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I also think it has to do with road race distances--especially the ever-popular 5K and 10K--matching distances that are commonly raced on the track (5000m and 10000m) and tracks are pretty much all metric at this point, even in the US.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Simple, kilometers are shorter than miles. Why would you want to run a whole mile when you can run just a kilometer. Plus, when you run a fixed distance, it sounds better in kilometers than it does in miles. Why run 26.2 miles when you can run 42.2 kilometers?
            Simple, kilometers are shorter than miles. Why would you want to run a whole mile when you can run just a kilometer.
            Right! Who would want to run a longer distance? I mean, really.
            Plus, when you run a fixed distance, it sounds better in kilometers than it does in miles. Why run 26.2 miles when you can run 42.2 kilometers?
            Yes! Way more impressive! Wink
              I also think it has to do with road race distances--especially the ever-popular 5K and 10K--matching distances that are commonly raced on the track (5000m and 10000m) and tracks are pretty much all metric at this point, even in the US.
              That would make sense!
                Yep. Anywhere other than the USA everything is in kilometers. That "26" marker is not so welcome when it's 26 km Tongue
                We're so behind! Even when I was in hs metrics were just coming to the forefront. Then in college, I was really screwed up! Smile
                RunningHammer

Nope - miles rule in the UK. Even though we're supposed to use metric like the rest of Europe.

You'll ruin your knees!

So, a guy asked me the other day...are you in the company's 401K? And I said, are you KIDDING??? That's like...250 miles! Shocked

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

So, a guy asked me the other day...are you in the company's 401K? And I said, are you KIDDING??? That's like...250 miles! Shocked
                      ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!

Imminent Catastrophe

Nope - miles rule in the UK. Even though we're supposed to use metric like the rest of Europe.
                        Really. I'm hoping to do the Loch Ness Marathon in October. BTW Honolulu had both miles and km, for the Japanese runners, I guess.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

madness baby

Big grin Big grin Big grin and of all people. . .
                          deb