Hood to Coast Race Report (LONG) (Read 913 times)

A Saucy Wench

Where to begin! I was in van 1 this year which meant leaving my house at 6:45 am, picked up the rest of the runners and decorated the van at around 8 am got to the mountain at about 10:15 for an 11:30 start (the start is staggered by some algorithm that attempts to have all teams finish between 9 am and 9 pm but not have too many people at the same place at the same time. This race is an impressive logistical problem) Beautiful weather for HTC. Historically it has managed to fall on the hottest weekend of the year, but Mother Nature got confused and sent the 100 degree weather last weekend and had only 80's for us this weekend. Which is still hot by Oregon standards, but about 15 degrees cooler than the last 2 times I ran it. My first leg was leg 5 at about 2:30 in the afternoon. 6.08 miles. Temp high 70's Very intense sun. I was having tummy troubles all morning. And possibly some sort of bladder infection. By the time we started I had already peed 8 times that morning and then again once or twice at every leg exchange. This continued the entire race. I had an issue a couple days before and I have had this happen before but never during a race. 2-3 days of overactive bladder and then it goes away. Anyway, back to the story. First leg was 4 ish miles of rolling hills followed by a 2 mile climb. I had thought to run near 10K pace for the first 4 miles and then probably drop to about 8:45s for the climb. Not to be. Started out with a cramping stomach and heavy legs. Over all just sluggish and struggling. The sun was affecting me more than it should have. We were running on the right side of a busy highway and the left "proper" side was shaded and taunting us. I struggled to hit 8:15 on the first mile and then got my pace down near 8mm for the next couple miles (still slower than planned) . Had heard that when we turned off the highway at 3.5 it would be a little shaded. By about mile 3 the sun in my face was getting to me and add the discomfort (physically and mentally) of running on the wrong side of the highway and I was very grateful to start the climb that meant I was about to turn off. Blessed shade. I slowed more than I would have liked on the climb but started feeling better. Chatted briefly with a guy from Fort Wayne, Indiana who was doing ok with the temp (of course) but heard him say that it was really hilly. Was thinking of what he had for his last leg and thinking he might be in trouble. 8 passed me, I passed 4 for a disappointing -4 net roadkill. Overall time ~52:27 ~8:43 pace. One more leg and then we went and showered, ate pizza and relaxed while Van2 ran. About 8pm we packed up and headed into Portland for our 2nd legs. It gets more croweded from here on out as Hood to coast is joined by Portland to coast walk (theoretically no running allowed) and PTC Highschool challenge. First segments wind through portland and then out on another highway. 3 of the legs on the highway are run on the right side for logistical reasons. Just as we were starting the first highway leg one of our van runners was checking his blackberry and we got the news that a runner had been hit by a car. Very sad and scary. Sad Our 2 runners were a little tense running, especially through the accident scene. My second leg (leg 17) was on the left side of the highway for which I was very grateful. 5.69 miles ~12:30 am ~55 degrees. First mile was on cracked concrete in the dark, but then I had smooth shoulder and I was able to hold a pretty nice pace the whole way. As I started to run I went to start my garmin and realized that the button had broken off. It got smooshed in the van. Managed to start it after a few seconds. Ran at about a 7:50 pace. Passed by 1, passed 9 - net +8 roadkill +4 overall Got to the finish and my team wasnt ready. My runner saw me (after I yelled) so we only had a few second delay on the handoff but the guy with the timer hadnt seen me or the exchange and for several minutes I could not find my team. Finally found the van with the remaining team sleeping inside and scared the shit out of them by knocking on the window. Relocated my other teammate with the timer and we clicked over my time (11 ish minutes after the actual exchange) and we went on. 1 more leg before we drove to a big field to wait for Van 2. It was about 3 am at this point so we tried to catch a little zzzz. 2 of us pulled out our sleeping bags and stretched out in the field, the other 4 stayed in the van. Very noisy as of course people were arriving and leaving constantly. 6 am up and on our way again. Peanut butter and bread for breakfast. I was nervous about my 3rd leg as it crested the coast range. ~ 600 ft climb over 3.6 miles. Then down for 2.5 Total 6.14 miles Started out in cool but intense sun but fairly shaded. Held a nice steady pace up the hills and I was grateful for the hills I have been running. I was slow, but not fighting the hill, just taking it smooth and steady, ~ 9:30 pace to start but then settled in to about a 9:20 pace up the hills, slowed a little near the crest. I could tell the entire climb that my right shoe was a little loose so I did get a bit of a blister on the down. The climb wasnt as bad as I feared but the curves were steeply banked and my knee got kind of honked off. Took it easy on the descent and ended up with an average pace of about 8:43 Very pleased. Passed by 7, I passed 5 Net -2 Overall +2 roadkill. Finished up, ate a cheeseburger and then we found showers and drove to the finish to meet the second Van. Had beer and more food while we waited. We ended up coming in at just under 29 hours. Had a blast!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

GREAT job hun!!! And GREAT REPORT Ennay!!!! You really make me want to do it next year! Glad to hear the weather was decent. Now where are the pictures????????

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

A Saucy Wench

GREAT job hun!!! And GREAT REPORT Ennay!!!! You really make me want to do it next year! Glad to hear the weather was decent. Now where are the pictures????????
        Can you believe noone in our van packed a camera? I got a good race photo so I bought my first pic, as soon as it is available online I'll post it.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

Ennay - One of my training buddies did it this year. She's promised to tell us all about it during next Saturday's 18-miler, but it's fun to read your report and imagine how it went for her. Thanks!

Jeanne

Menace to Sobriety

Great job!!

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Best Present Ever

Thanks for the report! I really want to run this at some point, and I'm jealous of folks who get to. Hope your tummy and UTI issues have resolved.
              Chris UK

Sounds like a real social event and a fun run to do..... ...oh and congratulations on getting the baton round. Wink

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

I am sooo jealous. Great race report Ennay and thank you for sharing it.
                  And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                  xor

HA. Your version of "long" is my version of "executive summary" Smile. Watch those blisters on the down... I've managed to rip off all the skin on my right heel over the past month from just that. Glad you had fun... thanks for telling us about one of the coolest events in the country. Also glad you didn't have too much heat.

A Saucy Wench

Goddamn druggies...the driver who hit the runner was stoned on meth and pot. Bitch isnt hurt -just a few scrapes. The runner is an 18 year old highschool senior. She has 2 broken legs, broken ribs and internal injuries. She is expected to fully recover thank god, but will be in a wheelchair for a couple months and lots of rehab. And nightmares.

Roses Revenge

Thanks for the report. I'm a wee bit unhappy that the Oregonian didn't have any coverage - other than on the runner who was hit by the car. With that many thousand people going through town, it seems like there should have been some coverage. But then, I'm convinced that the sports page only covers team and professional sports. Nothing much for us amateurs that do other things.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!