Can a Garmin footpod get wet? (Read 130 times)

madmom

Hi. I am going to be running a trail run where there is a river crossing. Stupid question..can my foot pod get wet? Will it survive that much water? It says waterproof but was just wanting to check.

Thanks

zonykel

I've run with it in the rain with no problem. I haven't tested it submerged underwater, though. Let us know what happens after you cross that river.

BTW, why are you wearing a foot pod when running trails? If you have a GPS, you really don't need the foot pod. And if you are using the foot pod to measure distance, then it won't do as good a job compared to a Nice flat surface.

joescott

Yes.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Yes.  However ... I raced a 10-miler in FEB in pouring rain, and my footpod battery died during the race.  Replaced it, and no problems since!

BTW, why are you wearing a foot pod when running trails? If you have a GPS, you really don't need the foot pod. And if you are using the foot pod to measure distance, then it won't do as good a job compared to a Nice flat surface.

The hillier the terrain, the less accurate the GPS distance measurement.  If it's lumpy going, he'd probably get a more accurate distance record by disabling GPS and relying on the footpod (calibrated or not).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

ckerr1999

DCRainmaker did a review of the footpod. He states the following:

Q: Is the foot pod waterproof?
            A: Yes, it’s IPX7 rated waterproofing – so 1 meter deep at 30 minutes.

Here is the full review..see Q&A at the end..

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/01/garmin-ant-foot-pods-everything-you.html

zonykel

Hmm... Interesting. When I set the incline on the treadmill, the foot pod got a different speed than when going flat. Perhaps neither method is particularly accurate when dealing with hills?

The hillier the terrain, the less accurate the GPS distance measurement.  If it's lumpy going, he'd probably get a more accurate distance record by disabling GPS and relying on the footpod (calibrated or not).

Rob44023

It can get wet.   There is by the way more reasons to wear a foot pod then tracking distance.   I use my GPS for distance and my foot pod to keep track of my cadence.    It's easy to lose strides per minute over a long run and the foot pod gives me feed back so I can pick it up.   I'm currently using my foot pod along with my heart rate monitor to improve my training and speed.