200 miles barefoot in August (Read 1121 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

And I feel wonderful.

Looking forward to the Cape Ann 25k next week.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
    C-R

Well done Ed!

I'm still stuck with my VFF (can't quite get off the TM barefoot yet) but they make the XC runs so confortable.

Good luck on the 25k

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

ED -- that's pretty crazy..........GOOD JOB......I like crazy.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Homer

Wow! 200 miles is great.    Barefoot is another level.  I don't think the shoe industry is too worried about this becoming popular.

And I feel wonderful.

Looking forward to the Cape Ann 25k next week.

Do you really run completely barefoot, or do you have some level of protection on your feet?  I'm just thinking of all the stuff on the road that could do some serious harm to the feet if stepped on w/out protection.

Do you really run completely barefoot, or do you have some level of protection on your feet?  I'm just thinking of all the stuff on the road that could do some serious harm to the feet if stepped on w/out protection.

I think he wears those footsie gloves.

Nice job, ed. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I think he wears those footsie gloves.

Nice job, ed. 

I don't think so ----- I think he is strictly barefoot now............think he "use' to wear footsie gloves......

Champions are made when no one is watching

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Look at his workouts -- he has the Vibrams listed as equipment, but his recent runs (including quite a long one) are listed against equipment "Barefoot", so I think he's really doing it completely barefoot!

Congratulations.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yes, I haven't worn any footwear while running since the Boston marathon in April.

FiveFingers are pretty nice and all, but I don't think it's genuine to call that "barefoot".

Can I pay you to come to one of my son's cubscout meetings and walk on a hot bed of coals for the boys? They'd be even more impressed than I am!!!
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ed, what surface you running on?
                        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Ed, what surface you running on?

Majority was roads and sidewalks, but also gravel and dirt.  Most runs vary widely.  Often the surface is changing every few hundred feet: from smooth sidewalk, to broken concrete, back to sidewalk, to pavement with scattered gravel, etc.  For example, the 16 miler I did on Saturday had lots of sidewalk and concrete, but also a few miles of gravel path, and several stretches of rocks and dirt.

Here's a video I made while I was on vacation in Maine recently, giving a sample of some of the surfaces I ran on there.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have been doing a few miles at a time, a few times per week.  I find that after about 30 minutes, the surface of my soles gets to hurting a bit.  Gravel stinks.  Asphalt is great.

jfa

FiveFingers are pretty nice and all, but I don't think it's genuine to call that "barefoot".

Rats. I was afraid you would say that......

Way to Go Ed! Very impressive!

C-R

I agree with this. IMO - the VFF's are a good way to transition beyond issues such as the one mentioned by Trent. I can run up to 10 in VFF without any issues and get closer to barefooting while true barefooting distance for me is limited at this time due to soreness of the footpads.

200 is still huge - you running Boston without shoes this year?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/