Linux Users: Chime In... (Read 165 times)

Hill Slug

I use redhat at work for my nmr spectrometer Workstations.  I get very little support from our IT department and I'm not allowed to connect to our network.

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Hill Slug

I use redhat at work for my nmr spectrometer Workstations.  I get very little support from our IT department and I'm not allowed to connect to our network.

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Better I Leave

I always feel like I need to know a secret handshake to do anything off the beaten path in MS-Windows. (oh, no, don't send me to the Registry again! I hate that place).

No shit...Eating a bullet sometimes seems more palatable. Gone are the days when I would provide Windoze support to friends and family. I don't have the patience to wade through the abortion MicroShaft has sold the public on.

Better I Leave

Because what you do is "voodoo" to them. I encounter the same thing from the "kiddies" at work as well. "Deer In The Headlights" when I voice the word "Linux" is an apt description.

xor

Stay classy Dave.

Better I Leave

Stay classy Dave.

Umm...OK. Classy? **scratches head**

TJoseph

Umm...OK. Classy? **scratches head**

I am pretty sure he is referring to the Microsoft bashing. I really don't understand it either. Windows 8 may not be a great product, but enterprise IT departments are probably just going to skip it anyways like they did Vista.  Most are just now finishing thier Windows 7 rollout.  Linux is a great application platform and many application vendors are building products for it.  It is not such a great platform for backend network infrastructure.  For things like a central directory, email platform, and file and print services I am going to go with Microsoft products.  I am also going to go with Windows on the desktop because it is a lot easier to find desktop support people that have experience with Windows than it is Linux.  And they don't show up for work three hours late in birkenstocks, a ponytail, and an attitude.

It is not such a great platform for backend network infrastructure.

Huh? This is a bit of a  weird assertion. Google, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, major ISPs, etc. have aircraft hangers full of linux boxes doing exactly that sort of thing...

Prince of Fatness

I am also going to go with Windows on the desktop because it is a lot easier to find desktop support people that have experience with Windows than it is Linux.

It's easier to find end users with Windows experience rather than Linux as well.  I shudder to think what I would go through trying to push out Linux on the desktop at my office.  Many are struggling in the migration from Win XP to Win 7.  At least IT folks can adapt (well most of them, anyway).

Not at it at all. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

For a while my wife had a very old laptop.  We couldn't afford better.  She was miserable with how her Windows laptop had slowed down over time (I still don't quite understand why this happens -- and disk defrag seems to make it worse (so, like, when are the icons going to get their correct pictures at bootup?  Oh, there it is)).  Anyway, I installed Debian (2005-era?) on her machine with OpenOffice and FireFox.  This along with USB device detection to throw up a folder on the desktop was really all she needed.

Serious looks from college geeks at the coffee shop, seeing her boot-sequence.  She'd notice and say, "My husband did this to me," and shrug.  It was very geek-chic.

But I would do that to anyone else.  Linux isn't very friendly if you don't know what you're doing.  And it often ends up a "hobby" rather than a toaster.  If I want to do anything on it I usually need to set-aside a weekend.   But usually after the weekend, it works exactly the way I want it to.

However, what I really like about it is this: sudo apt-get install <NewThingINeed>

That's pretty hard to beat.

(Window7 is pretty nice, though)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Prince of Fatness

She was miserable with how her Windows laptop had slowed down over time (I still don't quite understand why this happens -- and disk defrag seems to make it worse (so, like, when are the icons going to get their correct pictures at bootup?

Over time you download and install free software that seems relatively benign but then you look in your services and there are 30 extra ones running.  These services may not be processor intensive but they take up memory.  If that causes paging that will slow you down (most laptop hard drives are slow).

When I buy a Windows computer the first thing I do is uninstall all of the stuff that I do not need.  Some of it is eval copies, some of it is just junk (toolbars and such).  Google PC Decrapifier.  Nice way to get rid of that junk.

Then you just need to be careful with what you install.  Avoid the Adobe free software if you can help it.  Especially the Reader.  Bloatware.  Lots of times you are asked if you want extra stuff but have to opt out, not in.  Free software is not free.

Antivirus software is another thing that will slow you down, but it is a necessary evil.  I have had some, Norton for example, that slow the computer down to a crawl.  My preference is to get something will a smaller footprint and follow sound security practices.

A lot of what I mention you won't find in Linux but Windows is more prevalent and the hackers, advertiser, etc., target the masses to get a bang for their buck.

Not at it at all. 

I'm a Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia user.  Used to keep WinXP around so I could bring it up in VirtualBox so I could upload my Garmin data, but now that Uploader is functioning I just upload from my Android phone and don't have to bring up WinXP any more for that purpose.  Unfortunately, I have some web pages that I created as Excel spreadsheets and then exported in html which I then uploaded to my site.  I can't get any Linux based spreadsheet to format the stuff correctly.  I can't even get any Linux based spreadsheet to correctly format my running schedule, which I'll paste below. (...namely the vertical left text denoting the training phases.)

Shamrock Running Schedule

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Over time you download and install free software that seems relatively benign but then you look in your services and there are 30 extra ones running.  These services may not be processor intensive but they take up memory.  If that causes paging that will slow you down (most laptop hard drives are slow).

I would have suspected that to be the case, but the odd thing is she runs a stable platform: she doesn't have the rights, nor the understanding/will, to install anything (except virus sigs and security updates).  I'll google the de-crapifier anyway, though.  Thanks for the tip.

And yes, the first thing I usually do with a MS-Windows laptop is re-image to get rid of the crap-ware.

I do miss the command-line in MS-Windows.  Typing is so much faster than navigating through a treed startup menu.  A soon as I found "Launchy" it made me not hate my MS-Windows(7) work machine.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I can't even get any Linux based spreadsheet to correctly format my running schedule, which I'll paste below. (...namely the vertical left text denoting the training phases.)

it's possible using LibreOffice Calc:

1. Format > Merge Cells
                              2. Right Click merged cell > Format Cells > Alignment > Text Orientation

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

it's possible using LibreOffice Calc:

Format > Merge Cells

1. Right Click merged cell > Format Cells > Alignment > Text Orientation

I've tried it but the appearance  is off.  Can't get a font size that is appropriate, eg for words Transitional and Threshold.  Either so small they can't be read or too long to fit without making the rows much taller.  Also I can't get it to line break as in "Race Week."  I also tried gnumeric which is the spreadsheet I usually use in Linux.