User Groups (Part I) (Read 2512 times)

eric :)

Greetings my fellow Netizens! I just uploaded the first installment of groups. In the Community section, there is a new link called "User Groups". The idea behind groups is to allow you to create your own group for your club, team or friends to gather. Each group can be set to be public or private. It has its own forum, which can also be set to be public or private. You can also share maps with each other. If you are the owner of the group, you can customize your group's home page using HTML. There are still many features to be added to groups, and this is the start. Enjoy! I would like to thank my beta users, especially bas, Trent, vicentefrijole, Wingz and zoom-zoom. They generously donated their time to test groups, found many bugs, and gave even more suggestions on how to make it better. I added some of what they suggested, and will continue to add the ones I didn't get around to. Thanks guys! eric Smile
      Eric, The user group idea is a good one. I started a group called Diabetic Runners should anyone be interested in joining. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/diabetic_runners

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

NetSapiens

Is it "as intended" that I have to make my training log available to all, in order for group members to see it? There is no "acessible to members only" function anywhere?

Is it "as intended" that I have to make my training log available to all, in order for group members to see it? There is no "acessible to members only" function anywhere?
          Right now, you have to make your log public in order for people in your group to view it. I'll add a group viewable option soon.
          NetSapiens

Right now, you have to make your log public in order for people in your group to view it. I'll add a group viewable option soon.
            No rush Eric, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't suffering from male blindness... I am in the process of moving / convincing three mates to move our group over here now that the feature is up.
              Eric - This is great - thank you! lisa k
              Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                Hi Eric, great work on the groups. However I tried to start one in the training groups section except it kept rejecting me telling me my group name was too short. I initially tried a one word name and then went for a three word name but both got canned! Thanks for any help!

Hi Eric, great work on the groups. However I tried to start one in the training groups section except it kept rejecting me telling me my group name was too short. I initially tried a one word name and then went for a three word name but both got canned! Thanks for any help!
                  Hi Cage, What is the name of the group you are trying to start? Maybe that could help me find the problem. Both the group name and URL have to be at least 3 letters long. eric Smile
                    Okay I got it. The URL was only two letters long. Thanks!!!
                    Purdey

Self anointed title

Eric - how can you find out the host of a private group in order to request a password?

Eric - how can you find out the host of a private group in order to request a password?
                        Purdy, Right now, you cannot contact the owner for a password. I will add that (or an equivalent scheme) some time in the future. The groups are nowhere near done (thus the "Part I"), but I'm happy to see you guys are creating and using groups. In the mean while, keep the ideas coming! eric Smile
                        Purdey

Self anointed title

Thanks Eric - great site, keep up the good work. It is making the world of difference to my motivation and hence my running. Thanks.

Eric - I have no complaints or suggestions as of now. I'm new to RunningAHEAD and I'm loving it. I'm a grad student now so I can't donate until I have a job, but once I do I'd be happy to give you incentive to keep working. This site is great! Thanks for all your hard work! Keep it up!