Why isn't there a thread for the Olympics yet? (Read 373 times)

jfa

Canada pretty much shuts down during hockey games, especially when we're playing the USA.  (usually friendly neighbour rivalry)

I thoroughly enjoyed watching both the women and men play, and am really looking forward to the gold medal game on Sunday.

Congrats and well done to both the Canadian teams.

Good luck in the gold game tomorrow.

Village people

I saw that comment on Crackbook, and it is the most accurate thing I've heard all year!  Canada pretty much shuts down during hockey games, especially when we're playing the USA.  (usually friendly neighbour rivalry)

I thoroughly enjoyed watching both the women and men play, and am really looking forward to the gold medal game on Sunday.  That said, I'm glad there is no hockey tomorrow, my nerves couldn't handle it!!

We live in NH and my fourth grader watched the game in class. He is the only Canadian in his class, so he came home with a big smile on his face.

Kalsarikännit

New question:  Why aren't there a bunch of cities that are interested in hosting the Winter Olympics?  Norway is the latest country to drop their bid.

"Stoking some of that anger was the IOC's list of demands for an Oslo bid, which included a cocktail reception with Norway's king, with the tab on either the royal family or the Norwegian Olympic Committee.

Among the IOC's other demands:

Cars and drivers for IOC members, with special dedicated highway lanes

Street lights synchronized to prioritize IOC traffic

Separate airport entrance for IOC members

Hotel mini-bars must have only Coca-Cola products

Samsung phones for all IOC members

All meeting rooms must be kept at exactly 68 degrees.

All furniture must have "Olympic appearance."

"IOC members will be received with a smile on arrival at hotel"

Oslo joins a decorated list of municipalities that have declined to pursue Olympic bids, or dropped out of the running after residents voted against it. Invariably, each blamed the rising cost and invisible benefits of hosting the Olympics. Among those who withdrew are Krakow, Poland; Stockholm, Sweden; Munich, Germany; Davos/St. Moritz, Switzerland; and Lviv, Ukraine, which dropped out just before the IOC selected three finalists (the only three cities remaining).

With Oslo out, it's down to Beijing, China, and Almaty, Kazakhstan. The vote will be held on July 31, 2015, assuming one or both candidate cities don't drop out before then."

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

rlopez

They should have asked to have the brown m&ms removed, a la Van Halen.

Feeling the growl again

I wonder if this will be the first Olympics to just not happen due to lack of a host.

Kazakhstan?  Really??

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

Here is a good article:  http://www.businessinsider.com/2022-olympics-host-bidding-2014-10

I wonder if the solution is to start repeating cities and venues. I don't know if that would work because the cities change things like the athletes' village into permanent housing, and the Olympics may be fun for a few weeks, but repeats may wear out their welcome with local residents (especially when they are priced out of even seeing the events).

Most of the infrastructure is there, though. Innsbruck was able to host the Olympics for the second time in eight years on pretty short notice.

Imminent Catastrophe

Khazakstan?

Kazakhstan greatest country in the world.
                  All other countries are run by little girls.
                  Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium.
                  Other countries have inferior potassium.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

There's a group trying to muster a bid for Boston to host the 2024 Olympics. Just ... no. Worst idea ever. Nobody in their right mind would host the Olympics.

Runners run

xhristopher

Most of the infrastructure is there, though. Innsbruck was able to host the Olympics for the second time in eight years on pretty short notice.

Perhaps if we can rewind the IOCs expectations 40-50 years. Are they as bad as FIFA yet?

Are they as bad as FIFA yet?

They seem to be slightly less ambitious. FIFA looks to bankrupt entire countries, while the IOC just wants to bankrupt a city/metro region.

Runners run

kcam

When Chicago infamously lost out on the 2016 bid, despite a Presidential plea, I thought "Well, good for Chicago area residents".  I'm not sure anyone but the people who stand to make big money want the Olympic games anywhere near them.

Kalsarikännit

When Chicago infamously lost out on the 2016 bid, despite a Presidential plea, I thought "Well, good for Chicago area residents".  I'm not sure anyone but the people who stand to make big money want the Olympic games anywhere near them.

This is weird, because everyone I know was disappointed. It really felt like there was a big let down when we lost.

The Summer Olympics feel very different than the Winter. There wouldn't be silly-assed luge and bobsled runs being built.  I have never heard of a city making a cent off of the Winter Olympics. We have several stadiums and ballparks in place (although I believe we were going to have to build another big one).  The area where they proposed the athletes' village (the south side) is in desperate need of a boost and new development.  Everything had a use after the Olympics were over.

I was personly excited because it would be great economically. I'd make more money at my job, plus all my friends and co-workers talked about piling into someone's place for two weeks. There is big money in renting your place out.

Plus I was just excited to be able to the Olympics first hand.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

The IOC needs to just buy some land and build a permanent site.  Plenty of land in Antarctica, and you don't have to worry about warm conditions melting the snow and ice during the games.

Yet.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

#artbydmcbride

Los Angeles is getting the Special Olympics World Games in 2015!! 

http://www.specialolympics.org/los-angeles-2015.aspx

Runners run