EMG (Read 83 times)

Village people

Anyone had one? Is it really awful? FTR, needles don't scare me.

kilkee

runktrun

Yes.  It's pretty uncomfortable, especially when they get an already tender part of your muscle to contract with a needle stuck in it.  Needles don't bother me either, but it was the sensation + awareness of being stuck that was kinda unnerving.  Some of the needle pricks felt worse than others.  Not really painful, though, so just be prepared for some discomfort and you'll be fine.  For me, it wasn't as unpleasant as going to the dentist or having a lidocaine injection into my hip joint.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Eryn

It's not too bad. It usually takes 45 min or so to complete. the first half feels like strong static electricity, which is applied over the nerve to see how they are communicating with the muscles. the second half involves small needles (think acupuncture size) inserted into a few muscles to see if the muscles are communicating with the spine properly.

I do EMGs and had a number of them done on me when I was learning to do them - my overall impression was 'well, this is uncomfortable' but it's not bad.

Hope that helps!

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Village people

Thanks, you two. I feel a bit better.