iPod newbie emergency (Read 862 times)

Eryn

So, the deal was if I finished an ultra, the BF would buy me an ipod shuffle. Check and check. Just got it today. Disclaimer: This is my first iPod, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I would really like to avoid having itunes eat up all my music-- we have itunes on another computer, and I hate the program (among other reasons Wink). Suggestions??? Has anyone tried MediaMonkey? From their website, it looks like it wouldn't eat my music and turn it all into iTunes files, but (see above) I have no idea what I'm doing. Help!!! I'd love to use this thing sometime, but panic is taking over!

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What do you mean "eat up" all your music? iTunes has a way to catalog your music without "organizing" it. It is one of the preferences. BTW, you should ALWAYS have your music (and other important files) multiply backed up, such as on every computer if you can spare the space. MediaMonkey looks just like iTunes...
      Eryn

I was under the impression that when I downloaded iTunes, it would make all my other music un-usable by WinAmp, which is what I always use. I also thought it would make all my mp3 files and turn them into whatever the apple files are and make them un-burnable and make any questionable music sources unusable on my iPod. Am I completely misunderstanding something here?? Thanks Trent.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

when I downloaded iTunes, it would make all my other music un-usable by WinAmp
          Nope. But you won't want to use WinAmp once you start with iTunes. It is good software! iTunes encodes music you buy through the iTunes store so that you have limited ability to share it or burn it. But your own music off CDs and regular MP3s should be totally fine.
          Eryn

Okay, I think between you and Wikipedia, I have a little better understanding of what's going on. Not much, but a glimmer. Thanks for the help, Trent!! I have high hopes for actually being able to use this thing today. Big grin

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Should work as follows: 1. Download iTunes 2. Install iTunes 3. Plug iPod into computer 4. Enjoy music Wink
                The IPOD is modal's prime motivator when it comes to running. Smile I wish there was an IPOD with GPS that fit on one's wrist like the Garmin forerunner 205/305... the iRunner First off, you can use WINAMP with an IPOD so you do not need iTunes necessarily. You can transfer files to an IPOD with WINAMP. iTunes does not add any DRM (Digital Rights Managment) to music you convert yourself. If you buy music through the iTunes service it will have DRM unless you pay a little more for the NON-DRM version. The NON-DRM version still has stuff encoded in the file to label it as yours. I do not buy music through iTunes because it limits me, if I ever want to try switching device to a device not made by Apple. There are ways to get around Apple’s DRM. My ipod is mainly used for free Podcasts. In the past, I have gotten books on cd (most from the library) and ripped them so I could listen to them while I run. I also suggest Audible.com, which gives you access to a lot of audiobooks. They are a little bit expensive unless you really use them a lot and sign up for one of their monthly programs. One podcast I suggest is This American Life. modal (who quietly suggests telling your BF to get you a nano and recommends looking at factory refurbished one as you can get them fairly cheap at places like Small Dog Electronics)

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The IPOD is modal's prime motivator when it comes to running. Smile I wish there was an IPOD with GPS that fit on one's wrist like the Garmin forerunner 205/305... the iRunner
                  Get. outta. my. head. Seriously. An iPhone would kick ass, for certain, but add the capabilities of a Forerunner to that and I think I would love that even more than my car (and I REALLY adore my car). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I want (maybe I need Wink) the IPOD iRunner to have GMS cellphone incapabilities and Wifi. It really be awesome if it had scripts written by Eric that would automatically transfer my data over to Runningahead.com!!! I was really let down by the software included with the Forerunner. Also, the forerunner seems to reset my computer when I attach it via usb.... aaaaaaaahhhh having to reinstall the drivers if I change ports... come on Garmin!

Vim

iTunes has the ability to subscribe to podcasts. However I suggest using Juice or alternatively jPodder Oh yeah... congrats on finishing the 50k!

Vim

Eryn

First off, you can use WINAMP with an IPOD so you do not need iTunes necessarily. You can transfer files to an IPOD with WINAMP. iTunes does not add any DRM (Digital Rights Managment) to music you convert yourself. If you buy music through the iTunes service it will have DRM unless you pay a little more for the NON-DRM version. The NON-DRM version still has stuff encoded in the file to label it as yours. I do not buy music through iTunes because it limits me, if I ever want to try switching device to a device not made by Apple. There are ways to get around Apple’s DRM. My ipod is mainly used for free Podcasts. In the past, I have gotten books on cd (most from the library) and ripped them so I could listen to them while I run. I also suggest Audible.com, which gives you access to a lot of audiobooks. They are a little bit expensive unless you really use them a lot and sign up for one of their monthly programs. One podcast I suggest is This American Life.
                        Too late. The shuffle is already in my hot little hands, no nano this time. The DRM makes more sense now. I'm trying to get my winamp to work with my ipod, but no success yet... I'm pretty sure I installed it worng, so back for round 2. Thanks, modal!! I'm pretty proud of my 50k. Big grin Trying to pretend I don't have cold feet and sign up for http://www.steamboat50.com/ before I lose my nerve. Oh, and I love this American Life, but never am able to catch it on the radio! Problem solved now!

I was really let down by the software included with the Forerunner. Also, the forerunner seems to reset my computer when I attach it via usb.... aaaaaaaahhhh having to reinstall the drivers if I change ports... come on Garmin!
                          Use SportTracks instead. I haven't had any problems with resetting the computer when I plug in - maybe you have a driver conflict or something else that is monitoring the USB port?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Eryn

OMG, IT WORKED!!!!! Shocked I now have the White Album on my iPod. A fitting first download. I am sooooo excited. Why oh why does it need 4 hrs to charge??? <geeked> Big grin</geeked>

Short how to about WINAMP and the IPOD. You might need this plugin to get your ipod working with WINAMP http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/ I have not fooled around with it lately, but I know it works.

Vim

Go Green Wave!

It took a long time for me to get used to iTunes, I used mediamonkey for my ipod management before that. It was good, until I learned how to use iTunes, which I really like now!