Need a good DVD for home use (Read 1352 times)

Help!  We're shopping a new DVD for home use, to use in our basement ( the grown up room/workout room )

NOt too much room, but enough, I think.

I've been doing Core Fusion, but find it takes so long to do one disk, and I'm not getting a good workout. It's too choppy. Although, I like the moves. 

Some people have suggested the P90X, but it's so expensive.

Anyone have any good ones? We're looking for a combo of core and cardio. 

- Anya

A few years ago when I almost bought P90X I saw some being sold on ebay at substantially discounted prices. I'd check there. 

There is something called supreme 90 day, which is similar to p90x but much cheaper. (Hubby just bought p90x. He's had it for a few days and still hasn't done day 1. Was going to start today but has been napping on couch for several hours.)

P90X is great, but the dvds are long. A few are an hour or longer. If you want something shorter, try Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It's a good one and is less than 30 minutes. 

Patzer

I do P90X (but not on the official schedule) and really like it.  It's definitely not an easy workout.

Current goal: an Olympic distance triathlon. Did two of them! New goal: a half-ironman?? Did that too. New goal: I'll have to get back to you.

Zortrium

Depends on what your goals are.  I did the P90X thing for a couple of months and liked the program, but the problem is that it's so time intensive (1.5 hours most days) that fitting in any significant amount of running on top of it is hard.  If you do go that road, I recommend swapping out Kenpo X days for a longer run and trying to fit in shorter runs on some of the other days.

Lately I've been doing SimpleFit, which isn't a DVD, but has several advantages.  First, it's as cheap as they come -- only thing you need is a pull-up bar.  Second, it's only about 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week, so it leaves plenty of time to run on top of it.  It's basically just a dead-simple high-intensity circuit program of pull-ups, push ups, and air squats, but will give you a reasonably well-rounded workout with minimal hassle.  There's no explicit core work, so I do the 15 minute Ab Ripper X routine from P90X (which is probably my favorite bit of P90X) immediately after.  So that's about 40 minutes a day 3x a week of strength training, on top of running for pure cardio.  Definitely manageable without spending your life trying to fit in workouts (been there, done that).

Depends on what your goals are.  I did the P90X thing for a couple of months and liked the program, but the problem is that it's so time intensive (1.5 hours most days) that fitting in any significant amount of running on top of it is hard.  If you do go that road, I recommend swapping out Kenpo X days for a longer run and trying to fit in shorter runs on some of the other days.

Lately I've been doing SimpleFit, which isn't a DVD, but has several advantages.  First, it's as cheap as they come -- only thing you need is a pull-up bar.  Second, it's only about 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week, so it leaves plenty of time to run on top of it.  It's basically just a dead-simple high-intensity circuit program of pull-ups, push ups, and air squats, but will give you a reasonably well-rounded workout with minimal hassle.  There's no explicit core work, so I do the 15 minute Ab Ripper X routine from P90X (which is probably my favorite bit of P90X) immediately after.  So that's about 40 minutes a day 3x a week of strength training, on top of running for pure cardio.  Definitely manageable without spending your life trying to fit in workouts (been there, done that).

Thanks all!  I'll check these out..   I like the idea of somewhere between 35 and 45 minutes..  I don't have a pull up bar. That's OLD school.

- Anya

Zortrium

If you want to look for a bar, this is the one I've got, and it's both cheap and easy to put up or take down -- just hangs on a door frame.  I'm in a one bedroom apartment, so I don't really have any dedicated room for equipment.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I really like Cathe Friedrich.  Her workouts are hard and her DVDs are sorta $$, but they are all programmable, which is pretty sweet.  I like her personality, which I cannot say for a LOT of the video fitness folks.  She has a sort of dry sense of humor.  The music on some of the discs is sorta lame, but you can turn the music track off and listen to your own choice of tunes.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I really like Cathe Friedrich.  Her workouts are hard and her DVDs are sorta $$, but they are all programmable, which is pretty sweet.  I like her personality, which I cannot say for a LOT of the video fitness folks.  She has a sort of dry sense of humor.  The music on some of the discs is sorta lame, but you can turn the music track off and listen to your own choice of tunes.

Thanks girl.  I bought this Jillian Michaels DVD at Target yesterday ( mainly becuse it was only $12 )   I did it this morning, and I'm not sure I like it.

I really like this Core Fusion DVD I bought, but it's so slow.  Like the warm up ,and stretches in between. I know they're good for you, but who has time?  I get like 45 minutes before little feet start running around upstairs ,  ya know ?    :-)

I've never heard of Cathe , but I might just have to check that out.

And man, pull ups?  I don't think I could do one period. I have not done one since elementry school, and that was a long, long, long time ago. haha

- Anya

jeffdonahue

There is something called supreme 90 day, which is similar to p90x but much cheaper. (Hubby just bought p90x. He's had it for a few days and still hasn't done day 1. Was going to start today but has been napping on couch for several hours.)

Kind of intrigued by this one - been dying to try P90x but the time and cash commitment are so high.  Havent seen it under $100, plus from what I've heard you have at least an hour, closer to 1.5 hours every day - not sure I can do that much time on top of running.

jeffdonahue

If you want to look for a bar, this is the one I've got, and it's both cheap and easy to put up or take down -- just hangs on a door frame.  I'm in a one bedroom apartment, so I don't really have any dedicated room for equipment.

I bought this same one at CVS before christmas for about $15 and it works great.  Though sometimes I worry about my door frame, but it has held on great - I havent fallen yet.

Just wanted to say that this Jillian Michaels DVD has kicked me in the butt.  I can't imagine doing something harder.  I must be really out of shape. 

I did it Friday monring, and was sore all weekend long!  

- Anya

Treadmill Addict

MTA- I just typed a recommendation for Jillian Michaels, but then realized you already had bought it. Don't you love them? I think they are the perfect balance of toughness for me. And not too long. I tried P90X, but couldn't stick with the 60 minute workouts.

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.