Leona Divide 50 Mile Run Race Report (Read 729 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Here is a link to my report...there is a link in the report to some pictures I took during the run. http://www.nttr.org/html/leona2007_lballard.htm Enjoy! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow. I still think you're crazy, but I say that with the utmost respect. And those photos are breathtaking. I really think I would be a happy camper in pretty much any part of CA. That entire state is so pretty. How are you feeling now? Sounds like you had a really fantastic race--and so fast! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

As with all Lynn B race reports this goes in my "save til I can read uninterrupted" file.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Fantastic run and report, Lynn. Sounds like you felt strong the whole way! I really like the mood of the report--calm, reflective, supportive--no one would ever think that such a mood was possible while running 50 miles! Anyhow, great effort--it's been fun following you along as you prepare for Bighorn.
            Where I would like more details---> Can you give me a run down of how you say energized, hydrated, and sane( Confused) on these long runs? Perhaps you can make that another post sometime. ENSURE? Seriouslly? You ever had any wildlife chase you down? Thanks for sharing modal

Vim

oops double post

Vim

wow! Lynn, I really enjoyed your writing. Smile SOUnds like a really great race and that you came in under 10:30 with NO taper and the high mileage/consecutive days running, is really incredible! Good luck on the Bighorn! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Awesome Lynn! I had to laugh at your "Rock Inn" experience! What a hoot. Glad it was clean though! I can't even fathom doing this...here's a meager "Great Job"! Very inspiring!!
                    Loved the report and the pics - it gives a taste of what "ultra" really means - thanks, Lynn!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Wingz

Professional Noob

Niiice. You continue to make me want to try ultras... Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

JakeKnight

Lynn: Well done, as usual. I'm looking forward to joining you, sooner rather than later. Thought about you yesterday at mile 23, contemplating what exactly I'd have to do differently to be able to run another 10 or 30 or 70 more miles. I have lots of questions, but they'll wait. Off-topic: do you know anything about the Strolling Jim 40, a little 40 miler here in our neck in the woods?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

Where I would like more details---> Can you give me a run down of how you say energized, hydrated, and sane( Confused) on these long runs? Perhaps you can make that another post sometime. ENSURE? Seriouslly? You ever had any wildlife chase you down? Thanks for sharing modal
                          Let's see...energized - the scenery and the other competitors take care of that early in the race...later on, mental focus and the spirit have to fill the glocogen-depleated void. Hydrated...practice, practice, practice...can't wait until you're thirsty, if you do, it's too late and you may have already comitted a race ending error! Drink early and often! Sanity...that's why I do this stuff! I am what they call an introverted thinker, meaning I need time alone with my thoughts...Man, does this fit the bill! Ensure? - 250 calories, 200 mg sodium, 410 mg potassium, 40 g carb, a little sugar and protien packed into 8 ounces of great-tasting liquid? ABSA-FREAKIN-LUTLEY! Had a few copperheads not want to get off the trail, but nothing really chasing me down...that I know of... Wild pigs in the night aren't a lot of fun... Thanks everyone for the nice comments. Kristin, as far as how I was feeling, I took Sunday off after the race (mainly catching up on being out of town), ran Mon-Sat following the race. Friday night on the trail and Sat morning a week later, my legs were complaining of fatigue...I listened and cut it shorter than planned...took yesterday off...self perscribed rest! Jake, I hear great things about Strolling Jim...that and the Stump Jump are both really highly regarded races! I'd love to come out there and do one/both of them some day. Little more than six weeks to Bighorn! 275+ miles in April...hopefully something close to that in May! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

You'll ruin your knees!

One more visual for LD50... modified the elevation chart to include my time/pace... http://nttr.smugmug.com/gallery/2765637#148950337-L-LB

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Holy crap! BTW, smugmug.com rocks! That's where I host all of my business and personal galleries. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lynn, That's an amazing run. Based on the elevation chart, it looks like that comrads marathon would be a walk in the park for you. Have you ever done or though about doing? By the way, at this pace I'll never catch back up to you in the 2000 mile club. Nice job and congratulations.