Swimming versus Running (Read 1869 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Since I am between marathon training schedules for the next 6 weeks I wanted to get some other activities in like biking and swiming.  Biking just seems like an easier sport than running but swimming feels much harder.  Is swimming more of a cardio sport and does it help with your breathing for running?

I love it and I hate it.  I love it because it is such a great workout.  I hate it because I suck at it but I am getting much better. 

2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    spacityrunner

When I can get some pool time in my running improves...not sure why, but I think it is the breathing part.  I suck with a capital S at swimming...but do love it.  I don't have easy access to a good pool so i don't get to swim as often as i would like to.  I don't bike so I can't compare.

Trails Rock!

Since I am between marathon training schedules for the next 6 weeks I wanted to get some other activities in like biking and swiming.  Biking just seems like an easier sport than running but swimming feels much harder.  Is swimming more of a cardio sport and does it help with your breathing for running?

I love it and I hate it.  I love it because it is such a great workout.  I hate it because I suck at it but I am getting much better. 

Not a brilliant point, but why not juggle swimming, biking and strength training on a 3 on, one off schedule?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Slo

" Is swimming more of a cardio sport and does it help with your breathing for running?"

No, not anymore than running or biking.

It probably is for you right now because as you say......."I suck at it".

My training heart rate is the lowest when I'm in the pool. Which it should be. I'm horizontal, I'm using fewer muscles and those that I am using are smaller. Swimming can be a very good cardio workout if your swimming sprints vs distance.......

I do believe that it helps with your breathing for running. For one, you learn to fully inflate your lungs in one breath, you learn that going hypoxic isn't going to kill you....but unless someone punches you in the gut in the final 100yds of a 5k I don't think going into a hypoxic state matters. It probably improves your oxygen efficiency but I have no data currently to point you too.

I do have some kick drills that I use that strengthens the core and uses the same muscles that running and biking does.

If you were to learn how to swim with proper technique I think you would find that you can glide thru the water with a pretty low heart rate.

Man in Tights

There's no comparison. at a competitive they are ball breakers. Ask any Triathlete. Or ask Lance Armstrong. Biking seems easy. But hit a high gear and go uphill for 10 miles and it'll blow your lungs and quads out. Now let's take swimming. Just try a to do 1000 metres in less than 20 minutes. It'll blow your lungs and shoulders out again.

So yeah you can get a good cardio out of any of these three.

protoplasm72

Like slo_hand said, swimming is not any better cardio then running and might not even be as good.  It feels harder cause you are completely out of shape for it and probably don't have good technique yet.  You don't use your lats and triceps much in your daily life.  Imagine if you only used your legs for a combined total of 5 minutes a day for your entire life and then tried to start running.  Even a minute of running would wreck you.  

That said, I train in all 3 sports and do 1/4 to 1/2 the running volume I used to do when I was a pure runner and I'm nearly as good as I ever was.  And this is coming off an injury that had me not running for 5 months.  At my current rate of improvement I expect to be setting running PR's again real soon (technically I set one this morning but I hadn't run a 10 miler in 2 years so it was a soft PR).

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Sandi Sue

To learn how to swim effectively, I started going to a master's swim at or community pool.  You learn how to swim competitively and hang out with other swimmers of all different levels.  Now I feel confident to participate in triathlons.  Bottom line: go to master's swimming to learn how to swim and you won't be so worn out from swimming.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

Swimming can be a good cardio workout just like running or cycling. You can do long swims, tempo workouts or intervals just like for the other two sports. If you don't have good technique, you'll work harder to get to the same speed as someone with good technique. But if the point of your swimming is to get fit for running rather than to compete in swimming, then it doesn't matter. Swimming will be good for you for your cardio system and for strengthening your core and some muscles that you don't in the other sports.

I think that swimming gets bad rep in terms of cardio because swimmers with great cardio but not so good technique will often get passed by swimmers with poor cardio but good technique. This is frustrating to people coming to triathlon from running or cycling because in their sport your fitness level has a much greater importance relatively to technique.

So do swim and measure your pulse in the pool to correspond to the type of training you're trying to do. But note that the pulse swimming will always be lower than when running or cycling because (as slo hand mentions) you're horizontal and you're in cool water.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There's no comparison. at a competitive they are ball breakers. Ask any Triathlete. Or ask Lance Armstrong. Biking seems easy. But hit a high gear and go uphill for 10 miles and it'll blow your lungs and quads out. Now let's take swimming. Just try a to do 1000 metres in less than 20 minutes. It'll blow your lungs and shoulders out again.

I think you made a typo somewhere in the swimming numbers -- that's only 2min/100m.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.