The secret to running fast (Read 2999 times)

But that's not genetics if they grew up in the same environment.

Let's rip them away from their homes and study them in separate environments like lab rats.

Too late, Kimmi, Jeff already conceded the hole even though we're pretty sure enkephalin wouldn't have made the put.

Runners run

JimR

Actually I disagree.  Even if you have a crappy job and your wife leaves you, genetics will win out over those life influences.  Breaking an ankle, that is totally different.

Aren't there twin HS runners, female, that run about one second apart in their times?

You can't control your genetics, and there's no way to determine your limits from your genetics.  So it leaves you with training.

WMRunner

You can't control your genetics, and there's no way to determine your limits from your genetics.  So it leaves you with training.

True that!

But the ability you start with ultimately governs how fast you can possibly run.

JimR

True that!

But the ability you start with ultimately governs how fast you can possibly run.

and that is what?

she runs like a girl

Too late, Kimmi, Jeff already conceded the hole even though we're pretty sure enkephalin wouldn't have made the put.

Damn, I stopped reading the thread after discovering there was no magic secret

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Identical twin racing Finns. That's what we need.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

True that!

No, for the vast majority of people, the amount of time/effort they are willing to put in does.  The masses running 30mpw have no idea what their genetic potential is.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

she runs like a girl

No, for the vast majority of people, the amount of time/effort they are willing to put in does.  The masses running 30mpw have no idea what their genetic potential is.

Yep. That's me. heh heh

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

Feeling the growl again

Yep. That's me. heh heh

Nothing wrong with that. Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WMRunner

Yes.

You overlooked the word "possibly."

WMRunner

and that is what?

What do you mean by "that"?  The ability or how fast you can run?

Feeling the growl again

Yes.

You overlooked the word "possibly."

No, I don't buy that anyone is maxing out on 30mpw.  Some people may get injured over that, but that's not exactly a genetic limitation most times.

Prince of Fatness

No, I don't buy that anyone is maxing out on 30mpw.  Some people may get injured over that, but that's not exactly a genetic limitation most times.

I am half on the DL right now and am at about 30 mpw or so.  I agree, it almost feels like I am not running.  A couple of years ago it was a lot.  I won't argue the injury thing.  Some can do high mileage without a problem, some can't sustain moderate mileage without getting injured.  I seem to be somewhere in the middle.

What I can say is that from my experience more volume = better race times.

Not at it at all. 

genetics - don't you think it can control number of mitochondria you will make, oxygen transport in lungs, other microscopic changes that would increase your aerobic capacity?  It certainly controls not so meaningless things like how much cholesterol you are likely have in your body putting the same people on the same diet.

Okay, I have one last question to Enkephalin and I'm outta here.

So supposed your genetics really do control your limitation or whatever you call it, number of mitochondria or oxygen uptake level or whatever.  So if you find out, then what?

If you find out that you have a potential to be at sub-2:10 marathon runner, then what would you do?

Or if you find out that you absolutely suck, then what would you do? 

How would that the fact (let's call it that for the time being) that you have predisposed and uncontrolled limitation alter your course of action? 

WMRunner

I think anyone averaging 8 or more hrs per week over extended periods should be getting pretty close to their ultimate potential.  If people in that category can only manage 30 miles per week they would be better off walking.  So yes, I agree very few people are maxing at 30 mpw.

FWIW I was able to average around 8 hrs per week for about 2 years.  It led to some of my best race times, modest as those times are.