First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

keeponrunning

Hey, one stranger to another across the universe: Please don't hurt yourself. You seem like a really smart and informed guy and could contribute a lot to these boards and to the running world. People, cops or otherwise, can be jerks. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

+2.

Please talk to someone.  Meds have come a long way and can be a lifesaver (I'm living proof of that).  There are other therapies too, such as counseling.  Please, please, please don't hurt yourself.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

carlos49er

This thread has transcended RA. Maybe if a moderator closes it, it will bring closure for Red Bird.

This thread has transcended RA. Maybe if a moderator closes it, it will bring closure for Red Bird.

Not in a million years, this ain't over till it's over.  Angry

+2.

Please talk to someone.  Meds have come a long way and can be a lifesaver (I'm living proof of that).  There are other therapies too, such as counseling.  Please, please, please don't hurt yourself.

I do see a social worker and have talked about it plenty of times with this person.   All it did was confirm the schmucks in this city are a bunch of miserable fuckups, just like the Cubs.

xhristopher

Not in a million years, this ain't over till it's over.  Angry

Redbird, In the grand scheme of things this problem is nothing. Really. I and many of us here would gladly trade some of our real problems for such a little nuisance problem as this one. It's starting to look as if your problem is evolving, taking a life of its own, and you are carrying a lot of weight that you don't need to carry. It's your choice to move on from this. Life is too short to worry about getting justice against a rent-a-cop. Soon enough this will be entirely behind you and you will need to work on some strategies to leave it there.

L Train

Well said, x.

Prince of Fatness

Life is too short to worry about getting justice against a rent-a-cop.

Yup.

Not at it at all. 

Redbird, In the grand scheme of things this problem is nothing. Really. I and many of us here would gladly trade some of our real problems for such a little nuisance problem as this one. It's starting to look as if your problem is evolving, taking a life of its own, and you are carrying a lot of weight that you don't need to carry. It's your choice to move on from this. Life is too short to worry about getting justice against a rent-a-cop. Soon enough this will be entirely behind you and you will need to work on some strategies to leave it there.

Having a criminal record for this bullshit is not little problem, especially when applying for a job and trying to explain how I got screwed on this whole deal.  If you really believe a would be employer is going to buy it, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. Roll eyes

L Train

Having a criminal record for this bullshit is not little problem

It may not be a small problem, but I'd venture to guess that everyone on this site and in the city of Chicago is dealing with their own "not little problems", many of which are much larger than your problem.  The more you go on about this the worse you make yourself look to other people who are also dealing with real problems.

It may not be a small problem, but I'd venture to guess that everyone on this site and in the city of Chicago is dealing with their own "not little problems", many of which are much larger than your problem.  The more you go on about this the worse you make yourself look to other people who are also dealing with real problems.

You fail to understand though that this is a runners message board and what happened to me is certainly related to running.  If your dog died, I'm sorry to hear that but those are the problems that shouldn't be shared here.  My problem is 100% relevant to this message board.  It can also save other runners, especially in the Chicago area from going through this same kind of bullshit too. And the whole idea of walking around with a criminal record the rest of your life, fails to qualify as a "little problem" especially when you're looking for a job. 

L Train

You fail to understand though that this is a runners message board and what happened to me is certainly related to running. 

What makes you think that I fail to understand that this is a running message board?  I think I know what this place is.

And I think anyone in the Chicago area or anywhere else has gotten the point by now.  I guess I just don't see the positive outcome of continuing down this road vs. moving on.

Prince of Fatness

Having a criminal record for this bullshit is not little problem, especially when applying for a job and trying to explain how I got screwed on this whole deal.  If you really believe a would be employer is going to buy it, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. Roll eyes

Well Red Bird one thing that I learned as I got older is that life is less about what happens to you and more about how you deal with it.  Your attitude.  It is certainly not fair.  One thing that I have that nobody can take away from me (unless I allow it) is my attitude.  I have control over that.

If I had a job opening and you came to me and explained this ticket with a good attitude you would have a much better chance of getting the job than if you were all bitter and complained about getting screwed.  That's something that you have control over.

Try to find something positive out of this mess.  The community service may provide an opportunity in that regard.

Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Try to find something positive out of this mess.  The community service may provide an opportunity in that regard.

Good luck.

You know, I could have found something positive or actually just learned a lesson if the cop just gave me a warning and told me what the law is around here.  But there's nothing positive now about learning the hard way.  Especially in a unjust case such as this.   All it does is reinforce what I already know about this town, and it isn't pretty.

Well Red Bird one thing that I learned as I got older is that life is less about what happens to you and more about how you deal with it.  Your attitude.  It is certainly not fair.  One thing that I have that nobody can take away from me (unless I allow it) is my attitude.  I have control over that.

If I had a job opening and you came to me and explained this ticket with a good attitude you would have a much better chance of getting the job than if you were all bitter and complained about getting screwed.  That's something that you have control over.

Good luck.

Exactly. Attitude is everything.

Would you really want to work for a company that wouldn't give you the benefit of doubt over something this trivial?

The whole interview process is to see how well you play with others. Most places wouldn't start the background check until you've passed the first interview stage, anyway.

Get off my porch

zonykel

Red bird, if antidepressants don't work for you, have you tried seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist? A social  worker may not have the required skills to deal with depression and suicidal ideations.

To the rest of you trying to offer advice and saying it's no big deal, I think you're doing it from a perspective of someone who currently is not depressed. Depression makes you angry. You don't feel in control. Seemingly small confrontations get stuck in your head and get replayed over and over. These ruminations make you a prisoner of your own mind. It is extremely difficult to extricate yourself from such a position without help. While some of the advice may be applicable and useful to someone without depression, it may have a different effect on someone who does.

I have requested to have this thread closed down before, but not because Redbird had suicidal ideations, but because of the bad advice he was receiving. If you are untrained on how to deal with depression or suicidal thoughts, I ask that you refrain from offering advice. You may be worsening the situation. (And I note that I'm not a professional in this matter - I've had to deal with depression personally. I've also had someone who worked directly for me who had suicidal thoughts. The only advice I can offer Redbird is to seek professional assistance, not to get over it or move on).