Brooks... (Read 909 times)

What are Brooks like? I know it depends on the shoe model...but as a whole line of running shoe, could I find something in a Brooks line that is comparable or better than Sauconi Omni? I have a relative that is a Brooks dealer and he gave me GREAT price on the Brooks line.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
      I find that the Dyad 5 works well for me.
      I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

Menace to Sobriety

To paraphase Dirty Harry:"do you feel lucky?" If you've got a shoe that works, wears well, good fit and causes you no problems, why switch? I wear nothing but Brooks(Adrenalines and Axioms), so I'm not knocking them. I've tried some other shoes on and off during the last 8 years or so, and always come back. Most just don't fit my feet as well, some have caused me problems, knee and ankle pain, even back pain. Problem is you don't really know until you've been running in them for a few weeks, and then its too late. So you save a few bucks. Over the course of a year, I go through 4-5 pair. Even at half off, that amounts to about 200$ savings. That could easily be eaten up with one trip to the doctor's, a set of x-rays, not to mention the agravation of having to take running time off to recover. Now, you may slip right into the perfect Brooks model on the first try and never look back, but then again, you might go through 3 or 4 models, some injuries, etc, and wind right back up where you are now. That's just my 2 cents, but I've been there.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I wear nothing but Brooks(Adrenalines and Axioms), so I'm not knocking them. I've tried some other shoes on and off during the last 8 years or so, and always come back. Most just don't fit my feet as well, some have caused me problems, knee and ankle pain, even back pain.
          Is this a chicken or an egg problem? Meaning: Are your feet less adaptable to wearing other shoes specifically because they have become 'molded' by years of running in the same shoes, or do you think you wear the same shoes for years because they specifically fit your foot? Heh. Back to the OP's topic: I like the Brooks. The Adrenaline from a few years ago was my favorite shoe ever. Last year I did Nike's exclusively, and this year I've got a Nike and an Adrenaline that I use on alternate days in hopes of limiting any specific foot ailments. That said, shoes are pretty personal. If a local shoe store can tell you a similar model in Brooks, give it a try. There's nothing wrong with the brand. But whether you like the fit and/or it suits you is going to be personal. Evaluate without taking the discount into account, and if you find you would buy the shoe based on how it fits, then be happy about the price. But don't try to like it more than you do just because of the price. Good luck!
          Jayr

To paraphase Dirty Harry:"do you feel lucky?" If you've got a shoe that works, wears well, good fit and causes you no problems, why switch? I wear nothing but Brooks(Adrenalines and Axioms), so I'm not knocking them. I've tried some other shoes on and off during the last 8 years or so, and always come back. Most just don't fit my feet as well, some have caused me problems, knee and ankle pain, even back pain. Problem is you don't really know until you've been running in them for a few weeks, and then its too late. So you save a few bucks. Over the course of a year, I go through 4-5 pair. Even at half off, that amounts to about 200$ savings. That could easily be eaten up with one trip to the doctor's, a set of x-rays, not to mention the agravation of having to take running time off to recover. Now, you may slip right into the perfect Brooks model on the first try and never look back, but then again, you might go through 3 or 4 models, some injuries, etc, and wind right back up where you are now. That's just my 2 cents, but I've been there.
            Good point! I've found the Brooks Beast is the best shoe foe me... Even though I'm not heavy, a bout with ITB way back in 2001 sent me shoe shopping... Long story short..still wearing it today. Gives me the lateral support and cushion I need; and no further issues with itb since. I'm definetly sticking with this shoe. It is more heavy but I'll take the added shoe wieght for the given support anyday! The last time I went in to purchase a pair the lady said.... No way should you be wairing this shoe, You're too thin... I bought it anyway.

The young Mama Bear!

The only shoe I wore from the Brooks' line was the Addiction 6...and it happened to be the wrong shoe for my gait. It wasn't the worst shoe ever, and I'd wear another Brooks if it were super cushioned.
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                I've worn brooks off and on but like them. I like a lot of cushion and a lot of the Brooks have that....... But as always, you have to find one that fits you and feels right........ I think they are all good.........(brooks, Asics, NB and on and on) but again the correct shoe (brand and type) and fit for you is always the key to success...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hoodoo Guru

Seems like your relative the Brooks dealer could tell you which model would be the best replacement. I've worn many different brands over the years, never had a problem as long as I was wearing the appropriate type shoe for me.

The tangents are moot.

Just had my second run in my new Glycerin 6s and I like them a lot. They compare favorable with the Saucony Triumph 5s, which I also love.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I just got some Brooks Adrenaline 8's. I ran 15 in them Sunday and they did okay. A few more runs in them and I'll know for sure. I've worn Asics once and several pairs of Mizuno Inspires.