The Walking Dead on AMC (Read 3197 times)

RunsForCake

I am loving this series!

AMC truly has some of the best shows on the tube.

Mad Men, Breaking Bad and now The Walking Dead.

wbudde

Its like the people in the movies never heard of a zombie. Its not even : "Crap, is as if these people are zombies, but that can't possibly be true!!"  It's just like no one ever heard of them. If it was me, I'd be like : " Holy Shit!! It finally happened, real brain eating zombies!!!  Get my F*&^%n' gun!" 

Dude, I was thinking the same thing when I watched the teaser trailer for Walking Dead last night (that and, haven't I seen this EXACT premise in 28 days later!!!!!).

The show looks good, though less than original, but seriously, people always seem to slowly approach these half dead folks, then they get chased, and often caught.  If it was me and I saw someone that looked even remotely dead, I'd turn tail and run like hell.  And I'd be thinking "WTF, real zombies?!"   I'd probably head home to grab the Zombie Survival Guide my wife bought me last year Wink

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes on the DVR last night ... anyway, it seemed like the very first scene, where he ended up having to shoot that little girl who was a zombie, pretty much meant that the "WTF, real zombies" moment happens prior to the start of the series, since he clearly recognizes her as a zombie when she turns around.

Overall, I absolutely loved the first two episodes.  My wife hates sci-fi, but I was able to convince her to give it a try based solely on the fact that it is the show AMC put in the same time slot as Mad Men after the season finale (my favorite show on TV right now).  After the first two eps, she's hooked too.

Great portrayals, great take on zombie-ness (retaining a little of their humanity, like the girl grabbing the bear, the woman trying to open her door), great starts on character development, great side stories like the father & son thing with the zombie wife/mom.  I hope it keeps up this momentum.

Menace to Sobriety

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes on the DVR last night ... anyway, it seemed like the very first scene, where he ended up having to shoot that little girl who was a zombie, pretty much meant that the "WTF, real zombies" moment happens prior to the start of the series, since he clearly recognizes her as a zombie when she turns around.

This was the first scene, but occured later, chronologically, well after he woke up in the hospital, met the boy and his dad, etc after he was on his way to Atlanta, etc. If you remember, he had a gas can, and was looking for gas. By then, he had already encountered, and dispatched a few walkers. Getting shot, the hospital stuff, the meeting the father and son was a flashback.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So we're sitting around watching the rerun and eating salads.  But as soon as they got to the hacking-up scene I left the room.  The sound effects are not conducive to keeping one's appetite. Dead

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

So we're sitting around watching the rerun and eating salads.  But as soon as they got to the hacking-up scene I left the room.  The sound effects are not conducive to keeping one's appetite. Dead

LOL. Be a great diet tape.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

LOL. Be a great diet tape.

This is true.  I should have that playing as a loop in the kitchen.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting...I'm not so convinced that Lori and Shane had a thing going before Rick was shot, now.  But as much as I want to hate Shane, when he beat the ever-lovin' shit out of that wife-beating bully I nearly stood up and cheered.

Wonder what happened to the rest of Darryl.  I have a feeling that both he and his brother are going to end up as zombie vittles.

Next week looks good, too.

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

DVRed it last night. Probably won't be able to watch until tomorrow evening sometime.

jeffdonahue

Interesting...I'm not so convinced that Lori and Shane had a thing going before Rick was shot, now.  

Yeah, last night I got the feeling that he almost forced her into that relationship, BUT... and this is a big but, if you remember the scene in the woods from teh week before seh did seem totally into (up till the part where he noticed the necklace with her husband's wedding ring on it).

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, last night I got the feeling that he almost forced her into that relationship, BUT... and this is a big but, if you remember the scene in the woods from teh week before seh did seem totally into (up till the part where he noticed the necklace with her husband's wedding ring on it).

Yeah, I think she was definitely into it (in large part to provide a father for Carl...who better to step in as a new dad/husband than the real dad/husband's BFF?)...but under false pretenses.  Shane's looking like a pretty dirty cop.  I'm betting we've not seen the last of his violent tendencies or deceit.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Funny recap...I like the hand. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Menace to Sobriety

Finally caught up last night. It seems to be losing a little steam, but still watchable. At least in this episode, there was too much people-people interaction and not enough zombie-people interaction. I do like the idea of the guy cutting his arm off, but my suspension of disblief had to be a little off the scale to think he didn't realize the hacksaw and other tools weren't there until the walkers came a knockin'. I think he was there for a day or two at least, and could have probably sawed through the pipe or rebar in that time, if not the cuffs themselves.

They're still going with the good guys are really good and the bad guys are really bad angle with a few exceptions, like the camper guy trading for tools. I kind of liked that.

Finally caught up last night. It seems to be losing a little steam, but still watchable. At least in this episode, there was too much people-people interaction and not enough zombie-people interaction. I do like the idea of the guy cutting his arm off, but my suspension of disblief had to be a little off the scale to think he didn't realize the hacksaw and other tools weren't there until the walkers came a knockin'. I think he was there for a day or two at least, and could have probably sawed through the pipe or rebar in that time, if not the cuffs themselves.

They're still going with the good guys are really good and the bad guys are really bad angle with a few exceptions, like the camper guy trading for tools. I kind of liked that.

Totally agree on two of your points. (1) Need more zombie-people interaction and (2) Dude couldn't cut the handcuffs with the hacksaw instead of his hand?  Really?

Man, these guys are pretty brave.  If it were me, I'd never go back to try and save that scumbag after reconnecting with my wife and kid. Sure, I'd be relieved that they were alive and safe, but still, spend one day with them and decide to go back to the city where all the zombies were camping out.  And what's up with the wife.  She has no problem hitting it with the best friend, but as soon as her hubby is back in the picture she tells the bff to stay out of her and her son's life.  That's pretty weak considering the son already seems to have attached pretty well to the bff.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And what's up with the wife.  She has no problem hitting it with the best friend, but as soon as her hubby is back in the picture she tells the bff to stay out of her and her son's life.  That's pretty weak considering the son already seems to have attached pretty well to the bff.

I think the fact that Shane lied to her about Rick's non-existent death was the kicker.

~ Sarah Kay

I think the fact that Shane lied to her about Rick's non-existent death was the kicker.

Good point.  I forgot about that.  Shane did the right thing though by telling her that.  Seriously, what were the chances this guy would not become zombie brunch after the hospital was taken over.  Shane didn't want the wife and kid to live with some hope that their husband/father was still alive.  That would be more painful then trying to cope with the fact that he was gone.  Bottom line, it was time to move on and get in survival mode.

So the next episode looks like the group meets up with some street tough guys and the zombies finally find the safe camp?  Should be interesting.  Now thinking back to the first scene of this series when Rick shoots that little zombie girl.  Do you think everybody in his group gets taken over by the zombies or they possibly had to leave him behind for some reason and he's all alone again?