Yet another calf pain post (Read 472 times)

Alright, I searched and found loads of calf pain posts, but none of them seem to be the same as mine. Maybe that doesn't matter, maybe I just need to get The Stick, but here goes anyway... A few days after my first 5k (this past Dec) was when I first noticed this pain. It is maybe 2 inches above the achilles tendon on the back, and it feels like a general tenderness where muscle and tendon meet. Someone on CR suggested that it sounded like the insertion of the tendon into the soleus muscle. It's definitely too low to be the gastrocnemius. So, I rested for a week, doing only easy walking and elliptical. The next week it seemed mostly better. If I really pressed on the area, I could still feel residual tenderness, but it wasn't bad. Well, I've been adding some speed workouts over the last three weeks (see log) for my upcoming second 5k an Mar 7. I haven't noticed any calf soreness since Dec, but yesterday after my tempo run on the TM it came back. It's pretty mild, and I'm only barely aware of it during the day. It didn't hinder my run this morning, though I did make sure to take it extra easy and slowed my pace to allow for some healing. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be or how serious it may be? It's far from really painful, but I just don't want to keep doing what I'm doing without considering the possibilities and end up hurting myself worse, especially with my race coming up next week. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Brandon
    Brandon
    sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

It is maybe 2 inches above the achilles tendon on the back, and it feels like a general tenderness where muscle and tendon meet.
      I've had a very similar pain since August. It would come and go, and never get intense enough to stop me from running, and I would do calf stretches 3X a day, foam roller, the stick, you name it. A few weeks ago the pain became much more pronounced, and I also developed a posterior shin splint. I went to a Sports Trainer on the recommendation of a friend, and he diagnosed my problem as a tight ITB. Since the ITB runs all the way down the side of the leg, connecting at the calf, the fact that it was tight was putting extra stress on my calf and causing both of my problems. Anyway, whatever the reason he gave me a DMS massage on my ITB, and showed me some daily ITB stretches. It's only been a week, but the calf pain has been nonexistant, and I survived a 14 miler this weekend. I don't know if this applies to you, but it may be worth considering.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Thanks sdewan, I'll look into it. The calf is feeling better as the week rolls on. Seems like it was irritated by my tempo run, which makes me a little nervous about my race, as I plan to run much faster than my tempo run...
        Brandon