New to RA - need ITB pain info (Read 752 times)

hoganabq

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and it looks like this is quite the community of runners. I am hoping to solicite some advise from anyone who has suffered through ITB syndrome. Back in November, a problem with my right IT band prevented me from running the Dallas Marathon and forced me to run the half-marathon instead. Now my right ITB is feeling fine, but my left ITB is now flaring up after about 4 miles. Does anyone have any info that might help me speed along the recovery process. I am just now starting to train again so my weekly mileage is very low (<20 miles per week). i just want to make sure that i am good to go once the mileage starts to ramp up. i perform the recommended stretches and try to ice it daily and i am only running 3-4 times per week so i am getting some rest in between runs. any help would be greatly appreciated. mike miles="" per="" week).="" i="" just="" want="" to="" make="" sure="" that="" i="" am="" good="" to="" go="" once="" the="" mileage="" starts="" to="" ramp="" up.="" i="" perform="" the="" recommended="" stretches="" and="" try="" to="" ice="" it="" daily="" and="" i="" am="" only="" running="" 3-4="" times="" per="" week="" so="" i="" am="" getting="" some="" rest="" in="" between="" runs.="" any="" help="" would="" be="" greatly="" appreciated.=""></20 miles per week). i just want to make sure that i am good to go once the mileage starts to ramp up. i perform the recommended stretches and try to ice it daily and i am only running 3-4 times per week so i am getting some rest in between runs. any help would be greatly appreciated. mike>
      See if you can get in to see Dale Smith at Southwest PT (Greenville Ave near Walnut Hill). He is Michael Johnson's PT and is the best in town, but may not be taking new patients. You need a referral from an orthopedist. Otherwise, ITB is tough to overcome. Use foam roller and/or nalgene bottles to stretch it out. You also need hip stability exercises. There is a lot of info on the internet that shows what exercises to do. Supposedly, running fast helps as opposed to trudging along. Good luck and keep us posted.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I went with the exercise described here and it cleared up pretty well. Be warned, you look like a total dork doing it so you may want to put the kids to bed and pull the blinds first. Also: (That's me modeling for the legs diagram in this article.)

Renee the dog

I like to think of ITBS as simply a condition to be managed. I did a BUNCH of things to heal up in time for my first half marathon. My injury was about 4 mo out...scared me silly. 1. Run fast right up to the point of pain and QUIT for the day. Stop before you make it flare up. I remember the first time I hit 1 mi again, I cried. Roll eyes But, I'm so glad for the injury, because I no longer take 2 mi. to get in the groove. I'm in the groove and enjoying my run from the first few steps. And, I'm much faster! 2. Foam roller and hard ball for trigger point massage. Read The Trigger Point Massage Therapy Workbook. You can do a lot of things yourself to help ease your pain, and not just ITB-related. 3. Myofascial release massage by a professional. 4. PT by someone who wants to get you back on the road. I did about 4-5 exercises regularly to help stabilize and strengthen my whole hip area. 5. Acupuncture. My MD is a trained in China acupuncturist. He did about 3-4 sessions on me to help me to start healing, and then told me to keep up with the myofascial release to get to the root of the problem. 6. Stretching regimen, and not just to ITB. PT and massage therapist agreed on a series of 6-8 that I should do to help balance my whole body. I still do these on my off days from running. 7. Get to the root cause. Mine was probably started by my scoliosis. My shorter leg wasn't the one affected. My longer one was. We realized a heel lift was of no use for a mid-foot lander, so I now customize the left shoe of each pair of running shoes to build up my 7 mm differential. Another thing I do is take a lot of fish oil now. Since it is an anti-inflamatory, I figured it just might be what I need as a little extra bonus to keep me running. So far, so good. Since ITB flare up in early Sept. 2006, I have had no further serious problems with it. Today, I felt it - not where it was irritated when injured, just felt it. Tonight, I roll on the foam roller. That should do it. Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mike I can feel ya. I have issues. Use the recommended stretches and let it heal completely before running. Then once healed take it easy. Listen to your body. I have major problems this time of year due to the cold and the IT band tensing up. They make an IT band strap that works for me when it starts to bother. Just my 2 Cents.
            Happy Running,
            Troy
            "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

Member Since 2008

All is good advice, I just have one to add. You can buy an IT Band online (google it). It is rather inexpensive and worked wonders for me.
                This is how I cured mine. 1) new shoes 2) Pattstrap http://pattstrap.com/pattstrap-counter-force-knee-strap-p-28.html 3) Foam roller 4) IT band stretces. I recovered slowly, but never can do the long distances again. I'm happier now ( and healthy ) doing shorter miles. I am happy because I thought I'd never run again. Good luck !

- Anya

Renee the dog

OH! I forgot another thing that helped VERY much during the acute phase -- walk down the stairs backwards. It really helped to keep from adding stress to the inflamation. HTH

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!