300 (Read 2711 times)

xor

First marathon, 9/30/2001. Portland Marathon.  We weren't sure it was going to happen two weeks after 9/11. It did.  Great big fun.

Time passes.

300th marathon+ ultra tomorrow, 8/20/2011.  9 years and 11 months after the first one.

Time passes.

First one: 4:04:04.  Slowest one: 6:53 (Leadville). Fastest one: 3:22.  Marathon podiums: zip.  Ultra podiums: 4. Course records: 1 (since broken).

Lemon pies: too many to count.

Dig the crazy tights+tri top goofus in 2001. Am I warm? Am I cold? (with hair, and not-gray hair to boot):

x

an amazing likeness

That is dagum impressive !!! 

Sort of unfathomable to mere mortals such as me.

Your fame is well deserved and hard-earned.

Congratulations and salutations!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xhristopher

That's a large bib.

wow    300 & still going strong!     very impressive!  what else can be said?

xor

Portland has always had giant bibs.  I keep all my bibs in scrapbooks. Except Portland. They don't fit.

Yes, the large bib is compensating for something.  Once one of my favorite races (and the goal race for my 10th anniversary for several years), Portland has a tremendous ego... or at least the RD does... and they are so full of themselves.  "It is a privilege for runners to pay us $150 and run our mediocre race".  Gah.  I won't go back.  Anyway, compensating for something indeed.

That first marathon?

I learned quickly that "hey, I just ran a half marathon PR!" at the half split bodes poorly for the second half of a marathon.

xor

Well, when I die, "he ran a lot of marathons" is about as impressive as "he worked long hours".  So I hope some not-bad things are out there somewhere.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Robert. Truly inspiring stuff. Just one thing.... Why was Leadville your slowest? I have an interest.

xor

Robert. Truly inspiring stuff. Just one thing.... Why was Leadville your slowest? I have an interest.

Well, the whole Mosquito Pass thing (13,185) was something.  I think y'all go everywhere tomorrow... except Mosquito Pass.

Also, I wasn't in nearly as good a shape in 2006 as I am now... AND... if I recall correctly, I went out too fast. 

But mostly, it was the first of two races (White River 50 in 2008 being the other) where my lack of skill at running downhill coupled with poorly fitting shoes caused me to get a blister on the bottom of my heel... the size of the entire heel... which ripped/sluiced/whatever off as I was coming down off the pass with about 10 miles to go.  Ouch ouch ouch.

Now I have better fitting shoes and know to body glide my feet for steep hills.

Turbolegs

Man ... 300 ..

My head cant even begin to wrap around that number ...

Maybe its time someone gave Sy Mah's record a decent shot ..

SRL - Hope I get to read a similar post at 400, 500 and beyond. All the very best.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

xor

Oh, a number of people have passed Sy's 524.

In megamarathoning terms, I'm just an Average Joe.

Who will remain Average Joe.  I'm cutting back after 333.

Nice! (I think I have those same pants.)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Nice! (I think I have those same pants.)

Really??? Have you been in my drawers??

(BTW, srlopez - congratulations and good luck; we're all counting on you! [see you next weekend])

Liz

pace sera, sera

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

this.  and congratulations!

steph  

Am I doing this right?

I see that original shirt must have faded to pink, and that's how it started...right?

300.  That's unreal.  You've only got me by about....300.  Soon to be 301.

Congrats!

No excuses....

I'm impresed --- great job lopez --- something to be proud of....

Champions are made when no one is watching