Weirdest thing you've ever seen on the ground during a run..? (Read 11262 times)

Yesterday morning was gruesome in the park. First there was a dead, beheaded pigeon in the middle of the bike path. Later I came across puddles of what my half-asleep brain first thought was ketchup, but then I though no, it must be blood? Fresh blood? Because why would someone squirt ketchup on a bike path at 5 a.m.? Then again, whose blood was it? There was nobody around. idk. Maybe I was more than half-asleep and dreamed the whole thing.

(MTA: not that there's ever a good time of day to squirt ketchup on a bike path, but later in the day there are more people around who would be inlined to think it was a good/fun/reasonable idea.)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not too weird, but interesting- the other day I came across two bats in different places along  the road that had apparently been hit by cars. Never seen any before this in many years of running. Went back out later and brought one in to study a bit. Myotis evota or Myotis keenii, I think. Fascinating little creatures, a wonder of evolution for sure- their "fingers" that have grown out to support their flying membranes are quite amazing.

Are your bats sick?  That white nose fungus has made its way to our MI bats and it's really sad.  Friends of ours have an old barn and have found several oddly-behaving and dying bats with the fungus.  Losing our bats could seriously decimate our state's fruit and veggie industry, especially since our bees have been down.  We need these pollinators in big #s.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

not.

Are your bats sick?  That white nose fungus has made its way to our MI bats and it's really sad.  Friends of ours have an old barn and have found several oddly-behaving and dying bats with the fungus.  Losing our bats could seriously decimate our state's fruit and veggie industry, especially since our bees have been down.  We need these pollinators in big #s.

I don't think the  white fungus has made to the Western US yet- I know it's a huge problem in other places- not sure if it's human caused or not. It's a bad sign when the bats are in trouble.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Suddenly feel like something's crawling up your leg?

Eh, it's probably nothing.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

obiebyke

OMG, mab. Not cool. Are those babies? I'm dying.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

jpdeaux

Today I ran past a dead raccoon right next to a complete front bumper, both still lying in the street. I imagined maybe a confrontation between a light pickup and a super raccoon. But the raccoon was dead, so maybe not so super.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

OMG, mab. Not cool. Are those babies? I'm dying.

Those are indeed babies.  When I first glanced at it, I thought it was a really oddly-colored scorpion.  I only realized what I was actually seeing when I was taking the shot.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Those are indeed babies.  When I first glanced at it, I thought it was a really oddly-colored scorpion.  I only realized what I was actually seeing when I was taking the shot.

Please tell me you stomped those F'ers to oblivion...please!!!

~ Sarah Kay

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Please tell me you stomped those F'ers to oblivion...please!!!

If they're in my house, it's open season.  I've air-dropped thousands of tiny flyers written in scorpionic clearly explaining this, so my conscience is clear.

But women and children?  In neutral territory?  I'm no barbarian.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If they're in my house, it's open season.  I've air-dropped thousands of tiny flyers written in scorpionic clearly explaining this, so my conscience is clear.

But women and children?  In neutral territory?  I'm no barbarian.

I'd have been lighting a can of Aqua-Net and killing with fire!!

~ Sarah Kay

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'd have been lighting a can of Aqua-Net and killing with fire!!

I was a short shakeout run...I keep my Aqua-Net in my hydration pack for longer runs.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Today I found a package of blowgun darts on the ground (I run in a wildlife management area).  The only game in season right now is squirrel, so if someone is out there hunting squirrels with blow darts, I am impressed.

Leah, mother of dogs

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

This isn’t real weird, but I found a dollar last night … and yes, I did spend it all in one place.

Tim 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Technically not on the ground

A dog riding shot gun on a motorcycle wearing a helmet.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

2 or 3 years ago, in the middle of winter in Maine, I found a basketball card of Slick Watts on the side walk.