Pre-race Agonizing - Finishing last? (Read 997 times)

I came in last  (332 or 334, something like that) once. I had run my first marathon 4 weeks earlier and placed in (what has become) my usual spot about 2/3 of the way into the pack. The sweep guys were with me on bicycles for the last 15 miles or so. I kept thinking maybe I was still worn out from the first run. I finished over an hour slower than my previous time. Went home that night and developed fever/chills and a 100 degree temperature for the next 4 days- I was apparently on the verge of getting quite sick- had a slight twinge of ill ease the morning before the race, but  didn't think it was anything to worry about. The nearest folks to me finished 20 or 30 minutes ahead- I was with them until mile 10 or so, and then watched them slowly pull away from me. Quite a distinction- but I survived to run again.  I redeemed myself on the same course the next year.

I finished last in a 5k once.  It was an "all comers" race.  A kid on a unicycle beat me.  And a dog.  These things happen.

Good thing it wasn't a dog on a unicycle. Everybody has a breaking point :-)

kcam

I finished last in a 5k once.  It was an "all comers" race.  A kid on a unicycle beat me.  And a dog.  These things happen.

I finished 2nd from last in an all-comers 800m race on the track this year.  The only guy that I finished ahead of was a guy who is 78 years old!  He got mad cheers from the bleachers when he came across the line.  The next finisher ahead of me was 10 seconds up.  10 seconds on the track seems like an eternity when you're watching just about everyone else standing at the finish line with their hands on their knees and you're still suffering!  Like Jill said .... These things happen.

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

First or last it's the same finish line. I've been last several times. No big deal.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Jill_B

I fly.

Good thing it wasn't a dog on a unicycle. Everybody has a breaking point :-)

Eh, my performance in that race warranted a dog on a unicycle beating me... LOL!

Bring it on.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I ran a marathon this past week. I was at serious risk of finishing last. I still ran the thing.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I ran a marathon this past week. I was at serious risk of finishing last. I still ran the thing.

Yeah, but normally, running a race near the back of the field doesn't impede anyone else.

But you, you show up, and everyone suffers.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

50K --3rd from last by :30

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lots of great stories on this thread - thanks to many people for sharing them.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

juniordo1

Lots of great stories on this thread - thanks to many people for sharing them.

Yes, thanks for sharing all your stories. Thanks for the words of encouragement too.

The taper felt awful until yesterday and I was able to ratchet up the intrensity on a short run and I'm feeling much better both mentally and physically. It won't be long now!

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

ZZCaptainObvious

I've finished last in quite a few races. My first ever track 10K was fun. We were running with the girls, so there were still people on the track, but I was last of the men by at least 250 meters, if not more. But I got a great cheer, so that was pretty awesome.

What's really fun is when there are multiple races and you finish as the next race goes off. Or when you're on the course as the fast guys of the next race come by in the singletrack. I was not a fast mountain biker when I was younger. I can still remember one race where I finished as the last wave of the next race left. But it was still fun because I finished.

in high school was a sprinter-100 yards (yes it was yds & not meters, long long time ago).  coach kept bugging me to run the 200.  did not want to but finally did.  somewhat slacked until the last curve when finally decided what the heck might as well finish strong. but coming out of turn realized was actually quite abit behind-thought was closer to the front.  closed the gap considerably on last stretch but too little too late.  last place.  coach was pissed & never bugged me again about it.  went on to finish 4th in the county that year both in the low hurdles & 100.  Years later admitted that I was quite the rebellious young kid & maybe the 200 & 400 would have been better events for me, just did not want to work very hard back then & was beginning to get into other not so positive things in my life.   coach also wanted me to try the pole vault, never did. last place sucks

being last wouldn't be the end of the world but I don't want to be that person.

i want to know what this feels like and experience what comin in last is. in fact it's on my bucket list. i would think it's bettah than comin in 1st in some ways.

most people don't want to be that person. i say why the hell not? just one time even. most people can't say they've come in 1st and most people can't say they've come in last eithah. luck plays a big paht in this and i see it as equally rewahdin...no mattah the race.

carry on.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

i want to know what this feels like and experience what comin in last is. in fact it's on my bucket list. i would think it's bettah than comin in 1st in some ways.

Try running the course a second time.  You'll get plenty of "Show off" and "you can do it" comments .  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Robin's back!  I was just thinking I haven't heard your accent in quite a while. Smile