Can somebody explain the "90 minute rule"? (Read 720 times)

xhristopher

I take the racehorse approach:

The only question is the length of the race. If you can't walk the distance of the race, then you surely won't be able to run the distance of the race.

From that point on, its the question of what time goals do you have for any competitive running event. Once you figure out the pace necessary to achieve that goal, then measure if you're capable of walking or running that speed for a short time duration. If you can, then your heart rate at your goal pace is now your racing benchmark of measure.

So the question becomes at what speed of walking on a treadmill at full incline will get you to the heart rate levels of your race goal levels of output. From there its teaching anyone the skills of technique and strength development to walk the distance of the race at running heart rate levels.

If you can't walk the race at running heart rate levels, then thinking you can run with the same cardio output is pure fallacy...

Once you teach a runner how to walk for the time and distance of the race event, then speed is easy; bring down the incline of the treadmill and increase the speed to match their cardio limits.

What are your thoughts on ear stockings for cold weather running?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

What are your thoughts on ear stockings for cold weather running?

humans call them hats, got a problem with wearing one?

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xhristopher

humans call them hats, got a problem with wearing one?

Not at all. Problem is that people keep making fun of me for wearing them ear stockings. They just don't understand and make fun of me but I'm glad to see you do appreciate my scientific discovery. My research has shown that they keep your head 20% warmer than not wearing them. How do you explain the hipsters of Portland, Oregon? Really, it rains a lot there and that makes for some cold 50 degree days in the winter. Facial hair alone won't do and ear hair usually doesn't fully grow in until around 70 for most guys, if at all. Would you be interested in a pair? I knit them myself so can make them in any color or pattern you want. I once knitted a pair for a Klingon to wear to Comic Con but when he got to San Diego he realized he didn't need them so much. Here's the latest pair I made.

Let me know how that conversation goes, you've piqued my curiosity. I'm certainly not against 2 interval 1 tempo for 3 quality, but I think many people (mortals and lazy) can only do it for a short period of time without pushing up against that injury margin. Rule 1 to getting faster to me is don't get injured.

Viich,

You have some great points in this email.  The formula of 1 interval, 1 tempo, and 1 long run, IMO, is a pretty darn solid and good way to train. I think if you try to squeeze in more quality days than that, it will work for a while for some runners, but not all.

I will take your advice and have discussions with the coach. I've already cracked the door open on a couple of topics and he's been very receptive in the few things I've brought up.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Let me know how that conversation goes, you've piqued my curiosity. I'm certainly not against 2 interval 1 tempo for 3 quality, but I think many people (mortals and lazy) can only do it for a short period of time without pushing up against that injury margin. Rule 1 to getting faster to me is don't get injured.

Femoral sfx after 3 x a week speedwork and drills.  Hello there.  I am also curious about what you guys discuss just because I'm worrying over my own program here right now.

I worry that lots of volume will injured me, too (in the past, that is how I've gotten more minor injuries like piriformis syndrome). So I tried to do a lot of speedwork instead and that didn't work, either.  Happy medium may be the way to go, one interval, one tempo, one long... but IDK.  I doubt it is a huge biomechanical issue with my stride, because many people have remarked that I have 'perfect form'. It may just be that I tried to do too much speed without any sort of a base.

I would be sorry for talking too much about myself in this thread, but certain other people are going on about ear hats.  What I need is an ipod earbud stabilizer that is not also a hat because that makes my head hot.  What do the hipsters do for THAT?  My earbuds keep popping out on long runs and it annoys me way more than long runs already do.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I doubt it is a huge biomechanical issue with my stride, because many people have remarked that I have 'perfect form'.

I highly doubt such a claim is truly accurate. Of course the first question is what measurements define "perfect?"

I'm still waiting for the first individual to define what measurements prove a runner is running as fast as they're biologically capable of achieving.

Of course you have technique issues, or you wouldn't be in pain regardless to how far your run or what training program you follow.

The classic runner/trainer mistake is in thinking that if you push the body for speed, the brain will magically figure out how to improve your biomechanic efficiency. When in fact the exact opposite is true, that if you focus in training to optimum biomechanic efficiency, higher speeds will be your natural byproduct.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

How do you explain the hipsters of Portland, Oregon? Really, it rains a lot there and that makes for some cold 50 degree days in the winter. Facial hair alone won't do and ear hair usually doesn't fully grow in until around 70 for most guys, if at all. Would you be interested in a pair? I knit them myself so can make them in any color or pattern you want. I once knitted a pair for a Klingon to wear to Comic Con but when he got to San Diego he realized he didn't need them so much. Here's the latest pair I made.

Can you knit them in a fedora style?

And would it take you 90 minutes?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Walk-Jogger

Of course you have technique issues, or you wouldn't be in pain regardless to how far your run or what training program you follow.

Retired &  Loving It