Threshold Pace? (Read 2239 times)

Beware, batbear...

I've seen the term bandied about and am attempting to grapple with my ignorance.

What is it?

Why is it important?

How should I incorporate it into training?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

LiliGo

mikeymike

Threshold pace, otherwise known as Lactate Threshold, or LT, is the pace at which lactate enters the bloodstream at the same rate it is cleared from the bloodstream.  It roughly equates to your 1 hour race pace.

It is the limiting factor in races longer than about 10k.

The three most common types of workouts to improve LT are: tempo runs, cruise intervals and long hill repeats.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Threshold pace, otherwise known as Lactate Threshold, or LT, is the pace at which lactate enters the bloodstream at the same rate it is cleared from the bloodstream.  It roughly equates to your 1 hour race pace.

It is the limiting factor in races longer than about 10k.

The three most common types of workouts to improve LT are: tempo runs, cruise intervals and long hill repeats.

What he said.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

88 to 92 % of mHR if you are into that HR shit.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

she runs like a girl

^ What they said.

I'm gonna go ahead and say Nobby can elaborate on this best.

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

Beware, batbear...

Isn't there a relationship between lactate buildup and soreness in muscles?

If I ran 1:15 in a race yesterday at about as fast as felt I could, then did lactic acid start building up in my muscles for about 15 minutes?  I'm pretty sore today.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

xor

Lactate clears fairly quickly.  Despite what we were taught in high school health, lactic acid is not why you are sore the next day.  That is something else... Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS).  Very normal.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Or from falling down. Popular activity in trail running.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Or from falling down. Popular activity in trail running.

Or sidewalk running. Apparently.

**hides his hand behind his back**

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Feeling the growl again

Isn't there a relationship between lactate buildup and soreness in muscles?

If I ran 1:15 in a race yesterday at about as fast as felt I could, then did lactic acid start building up in my muscles for about 15 minutes?  I'm pretty sore today.

It doesn't quite work that way.  And no, lactate isn't what is making you sore afterward.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

Here is a nice thread from letsrun that talks a lot about tempos and the science around tempos and threshold. Good reading.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?board=1&thread=248888

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Scout7

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about details of tempo run.  You need to have a good effort run once in a while but how often, how long, how hard all depends.  I strongly believe that trying to go by a text book on this one is a big mistake.  In most cases, people do it too hard.

Lydiard's program has a couple of runs a week of what he calls "3/4 effort" run.  When I was starting out, I couldn't handle it.  So I did 3~4 X 1200 instead with a very short recovery like 1 minute.

When I talked to coach Koide, he told me that Naoko Takahashi can't really do a lot of quality runs.  He said she runs up to 70km but at much slower pace and does almost 200 miles a week.  Masako Chiba on the other hand can't really do a lot of mileage so she does about 30k at faster tempo but runs nowhere near 200 miles a week.  Takahashi did 2:19 and Chiba 2:21.  It all depends.

I still think the best guide is; "do at least one run at 3/4 effort".

I certainly wouldn't pay too much attention to the debate that does on at letsrun.  Probably more than 90% of them don't know what the hell they're talking about and things are way too detail and number oriented anyways.

Tempo to me is a pace where your body knows it's running pretty fast, but you never accumulate that burn like in a 5K or 10K.  I'm wary of set paces (like my LT pace is X so I HAVE to run this speed in my tempo runs) because sometimes we feel like crap and slower paces wipe us out.  I think for tempo, it is more important to go by feel.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy