Minor Gripe (Read 581 times)

So I just learned that at least two people I know are going to be at a program I was hoping to attend next year. I know this probably sounds petty, but I was really looking forward to meeting lots of new people, and exploring a new city by myself, and all that good stuff. I dont have any serious issues with these folks, but it is a pretty small program, and, man, isnt the world a big enough place that they can find their own city in which to spend the year? And to make it worse, at least one is someone I consider a friend - but a friend who drives me nuts if I spend more than a couple hours with her. Now I feel like I am going to be obligated to spend a fair amount of time with them and their friends (did I mention I dont tend to like her many of her friends? I doubt it will be different there!) OK, I am done being petty and will now move on with my life. And maybe look at a different program more seriously now.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd be looking at a different program, too. When I did my semester in the UK I ended up with 3 miserable, catty roommates. 2 were roomies from the same college and the third was pretentious, bitchy, and not particularly bright. They all did pretty much everything together and I was mostly on my own to meet up with other people on the program (which was fine, as I met some great people that way), but now I wish I would have opted to do a "flat" situation, instead of renting from an English family--I think then I would have had the great opportunity to meet students from all of the world, not just the US, and I would have been less annoyed each night as I returned home. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Details. Did some folks not list places for match that they said they would? What are your plans?
          Details. Did some folks not list places for match that they said they would? What are your plans?
          Uhm, this has nothing to do with medicine. I am trying to go abroad next year. I am still unsure if I can make it work.....kind of a longer story than I want to get into, and really not that exciting. I am just bitter.
            Oops! Double post!
              Oh, and Zoomy, there is no way we are living together. I dont know who would kill whom first! And I can pretty much guarantee that would go both ways!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So what study abroad locations are you considering? I highly recommend Scotland. Hubby did a year in Aberdeen and it's a really amazing part of the world. I'd live there in a heartbeat! :0 k

~ Sarah Kay

So what study abroad locations are you considering? I highly recommend Scotland. Hubby did a year in Aberdeen and it's a really amazing part of the world. I'd live there in a heartbeat!
                  "Study" is a very loose term. In fact, I only said I am trying to go abroad, not study. Scotland sounds amazing. But way too safe. I was thinking somewhere much closer to a civil war or two in the making. Kenya is just too hot. Jerusalem is close enough for me to several feuds.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, wow, locations like that would be amazing! Scotland would definitely be safe...at least at this time in history. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay