Effects of Increasing Mileage? (Read 1442 times)

ALB

Question: how much of an ill-effrect (if any) over the short term should increasing weekly mileage (about 5%) have on my weekly tempo run? Anyone have any input or experience with this?
      There shouldn't be any ill effect from a 5% increase. I've increased my weekly mileage by as much as 30% in training short term with no ill effect other than a little muscle soreness. You should be able to go 10% long term with no problem. Tom

Hawt and sexy

Gee. I don't know. Try it and tell me. I bet you die.

I'm touching your pants.

Gee. I don't know. Try it and tell me. I bet you die.
          Well, Willamona! We loved you at CR (well, I'm sure some didn't!) and we love you here too! Hey, check it out at that (in)famous runninng economy thread at CR. I've been battling with Dick(head) so hard; I'm beginning to enjoy the fight! ;o) He is so dumb....

Hawt and sexy

Nobby, I missed you. Tell me a story.

I'm touching your pants.

BeeRunB

5% per week on average is a nice safe rate of increase, especially for someone not running for a long time. Always keep an eye on how your body is responding, making sure not to overtrain. Backing off if need be. The effects, if you avoid too much speedwork and overtraining, will be increased endurance, perhaps an improvement in race times, greater daily hunger and appetite, and a bigger shoe bill every year. Good to see the great Nobby has made it over to RA, always appreciate his input. --Jimmy
                How would you define an ill effect on a tempo run, anwyay?

Runners run

Richard21142

Increasing by 5% shouldn't have any negative impact on your "tempo" runs. For someone running 50 miles per week, that is only 2 1/2 miles. You weekly mileage should fuctuate that much.

Hawt and sexy

How would you define an ill effect on a tempo run, anwyay?
                    I'm guessing both puking and death.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

might other possible negative side effects include? - frostbite - dizziness, confusion, and getting lost (which can be deadly if running long distance extremes such as 5Ks, which can go through extreme geography and topography) - toxic alcohol withdrawal and shakes

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Indeed, all good answers. I was thinking more along the lines of the trots or other such GI issues. I noticed once when I increased my miles a lot that I almost pooped my pants on a particularly hard mid week tempo run. I think I had increased by a lot more than 5% though. I think it was when I increased about 100% week-to-week and also switched from a holiday run-whenever-I-feel-like-it schedule to a more normal run-before-the-sun-is-up schedule. So there were confounding variables.

Runners run

Hawt and sexy

Pooping. How could I forget pooping. My bad. Oh yeah. If you increase your tempo run too much, you may be too weak to lift your beer later. That's an emergency room visit right there.

I'm touching your pants.

rotokim

I have 'jumped' over here too. Currently backing up Nobby over on CR. About to hit trails. Kim Stevenson
                            JakeKnight

Question: how much of an ill-effrect (if any) over the short term should increasing weekly mileage (about 5%) have on my weekly tempo run? Anyone have any input or experience with this?
                              Assuming your tempo runs are relatively short compared to your other runs, increasing your overall mileage will make those little tempo run colored bars look even smaller by comparison. Which may have a negative overall impact on your self-esteem. Sad people don't run well, and you'll find yourself trapped in a downward cycle, your tempo runs looking shorter, your sense of identity getting increasingly smaller. Soon you'll be up late at night, asking existential questions about the meaning of your life. You'll end up slow, lonely, and unable to get a date. Also, it may apparently affect your poop. It doesn't sound worth it to me. I'd go with 4%. It's safer.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Hawt and sexy

I have 'jumped' over here too. Currently backing up Nobby over on CR. About to hit trails. Kim Stevenson
                                HUGS!!!! And welcome, you can tell me a story too!

I'm touching your pants.