Bob Costas Gun Control Statement (Read 1054 times)

What's your opinion on the Bob Costas statement about gun control on Sunday Night Footbal in America?

I personally believe everyone has a right to their own opinion, but Jevon Belcher seemed to be on a course of violence and self destruction and it wouldn't have mattered what tool he used.  It goes back to "blame the user of the tool not the tool itself".  It's a very sad situation and my heart goes out to the families involved, but I think Belcher would have done the same thing even if he didn't have a gun.  There are other tools people use in killing others and themselves.  I think the gun was the one tool he had at his disposal at the time.   This man had a history of domestic violence and depression.   Instead of blaming the gun, Costas should have talked about Belchers history; he should have mentioned the continous head trama a football player suffers playing the sport of football. Maybe Belcher suffered from brain trauma do to his profession which caused his rage.  I think there is a deeper root to the cause of this terrible situation.  The man had so much rage and obviously lost control; he was Hell bent on hurting his girlfriend gun or no gun.  For Bob Costas to blame guns is irresponsible.  Why don't people blame the rope when someone hangs themselves?  Or the knife when someone stabs someone to death?  Or the bridge when someone jumps off of it to their death? It's easy to blame the gun, but is it the fault of the gun? No it's not, it's the fault of the man holding the gun.  Blame the man not the gun, Bob.  Use your national audience to talk about the dangers of brain trauma to athletes who play contact sports and how that effects their lives.  Talk about the horrors of domestic violence and the lives touched by it.  I think Bob Costas made a mistake (especially quoting Jason Whitlock who is known for making stupid statements).  He should have talked about the need for research and education on brain trauma instead of attacking guns.  Guns are not the underlying issue here....it was a man filled with rage pointed at his girlfriend.  Jevon Belcher killed Kasandra Perkins and himself; the gun didn't make him do it.

Wandering Wally

^^ That pretty much sums it up.  When people are intent on killing, they will do so with whatever tool is at hand.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Menace to Sobriety

As a(multiple) gun owner and a CCP holder, I have to respectfully disagree in some part. You're completely right in a pre-meditated situation. If a person wants another gone bad enough, there are many ways to dispatch them without the use of firearms, but in the case of a sudden irrational rage possibly amped up by drugs or booze,  plus ready access to a gun, the results are all too frequent and familiar. Someone pulls the trigger, realizes what they've done, then turns the weapon on themselves. No doubt,  Belcher is untimately responsible, but the efficiency of guns allow that split second of rage to become murder rather than a broken jaw or a black eye, neither of which are excusable, but neither are they final.

As I stated, I am a weapon owner and not in any way some kind of antigun person so this will be my only post on this subject. I'm not here to get embroiled in some gun vs anti gun pissing contest. I also don't claim to have any answers on how to protect ownership rights and innocent victims without infringing on the rights or safety of one or the other. I just think access to guns in emotionally charged situations will lead to more deaths than fists, or forks or knives, for that matter.

FWIW, I've always thought Costas was a douchebag, regardless of his stance on any particular issue.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

BIS

High Horse

FWIW, I've always thought Costas was a douchebag, regardless of his stance on any particular issue.

+1

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

MrNamtor

MrNamtor

As a(multiple) gun owner and a CCP holder, I have to respectfully disagree in some part. You're completely right in a pre-meditated situation. If a person wants another gone bad enough, there are many ways to dispatch them without the use of firearms, but in the case of a sudden irrational rage possibly amped up by drugs or booze,  plus ready access to a gun, the results are all too frequent and familiar. Someone pulls the trigger, realizes what they've done, then turns the weapon on themselves. No doubt,  Belcher is untimately responsible, but the efficiency of guns allow that split second of rage to become murder rather than a broken jaw or a black eye, neither of which are excusable, but neither are they final.

As I stated, I am a weapon owner and not in any way some kind of antigun person so this will be my only post on this subject. I'm not here to get embroiled in some gun vs anti gun pissing contest. I also don't claim to have any answers on how to protect ownership rights and innocent victims without infringing on the rights or safety of one or the other. I just think access to guns in emotionally charged situations will lead to more deaths than fists, or forks or knives, for that matter.

+1 especially about bob costas being a douchbag.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I'll refrain from replying until Friday. 

You people have issues 

Buelligan

Guns make killing easier. MUCH easier than killing by stabbing, beating or strangling.

Yes, exactly.  Absolutely correct.  Hit the nail squarely on the head.

It is also one of the reasons why I have them.  Not the only reason, but certainly one of them.

I don't give a crap about Bob Costas. Thankfully, I have runningAHEAD.com to express this view.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

To question the idea that more guns=more homicides is completely inane and defies any level of common sense.

+1.  Look at Chicago and Wash DC, where they outlawed owning handguns and successfully obliterated homicides.

Oh wait.  I guess that didn't work out so well since criminals don't follow laws.

Perhaps we should just abolish the 2nd Amendment and make guns illegal so criminals can't get them, like we did with cocaine and heroine.

Oh wait.  I guess that didn't work out so well either since both consumable products are readily available on the street (vs a gun which only needs to be imported once and is available then indefinitely.

I'm a fan of freedom and holding people accountable for their actions.  To think that some 200+lb pro football player would have had difficulty killing his girlfriend without a gun is kind of silly.   Some domestic servant in NY, I believe, recently killed 2 kids and nearly killed herself with a knife.

Yeah, I think I'll ignore this thread going forward as well.   Too many political or deliberately fishing/inflammatory threads in here lately.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

A little comment from Happy Gilmore. Who knew golf was such a tough sport.

And Costas is a self-serving tool for trying to enhance his standing with a 90 second rant. Somewhere a village is missing their idiot.

I bet this thread fires up in no time.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Imminent Catastrophe

I think sports people should talk about sports. Otherwise, STFU, we aren't watching football to hear your politics.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

MrNamtor

i deleted my thread, but other people quoted it so....

the reason i deleted it is because Craig S. said exactly what i did, and also because i don't come here to piss people off, especially about things that have nothing to do with running.

And i basically agree with grouchy old man above me ^^

Mr Costas' gonna be pretty pissed-off when he check's into that Crossfit vacation in Palestine and realises the equipment ain't arrived.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Buelligan

I heard a comedian come up with this great line...

Saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is like saying "toasters don't toast toast, toast toasts toast."

C'mon... that was funny.