Holy Grail Time for Women's Marathon? (Read 379 times)

Joann Y

Just the facts, man.

It's all relative. For open runners (20-39) who have some talent and maybe ran in college 2:40 (or even 2:30) for males and 3:00 sometimes 2:50 for females. For some it's 4:00. Others a BQ.

Even though the world record diffential is is 9.7%, I think the 2:15 is an outlier--no one has come within about 2 minutes of that. 11-12% is about the difference between men's and women's.

And I'll throw out one more arbitrary number just for kicks. 2:49.

Julia1971

Looking at it a couple other ways. (The math part is most interesting to me, because any of the race times being discussed are beyond my imagination.)

I think the Chicago Marathon is probably a good database to use for analysis.

1. Median male finisher was 4:14, median female finisher was 4:42, or 11% slower. Add 11% to 3:00 and you get 3:20.

Consistent with some of the other posts here.

2. Male finish time of 3:00 placed at 805/21488 OA, or top 3.75%. Top 3.75% of female finishers placed at 652/17395, and was 3:29.

More consistent with the way Boston looks at it, since they use a 30 min differential for all the qualifying standards.

Or, another way to look at the numbers, using Chicago Marathon.

Number of runners under 3:00 = 890

Number of women under 3:00 = 86

Number of master's women under 3:00 = 7

Number of women under 3:20 = 328

Number of master's women under 3:20 = About 47

From an article in current issue of Running Time:

"Squire pointed out that 2,363 men broke 3 hours at Boston, the most in 31 years. And 2,101 women broke 3:30, the most ever at Boston, up by 243 from the year before."

He uses 3:00 for men and 3:30 for women to make a point.

Ready, go.

Mostly harmless

I chose 3:10 or less solely because it only had one vote and I felt sorry for it.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

So what is the equivalent for a 35 - 45 year old woman - - In my opinion it's in the vicinity of 3:15 -

And I know the numbers are arbitrary - But before I die I'd like to post a time that starts with a 3 and is followed by a teen :-)

Just shockingly ran a 3:13  -  now I can die happy?

Ready, go.

Not until you've told the entire world about it. This is a good start, but if it were me I'd probably take out a friggin' billboard or something. That is totally awesome, huge congrats.

Dave

Joann Y

Congratulations. Very cool!

Kalsarikännit

told the entire world about it. 

I'm pretty sure this is why people are on the facebooks.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And no, now you're thinking about a 3 followed by a single digit, aren't you?

Nice!

kcam

Congratulations!  That's a helluva run.  Take some time to recover and relish that accomplishment.

Congrats. Fantastic performance!!

Leopard

Wow, congrats! Fantastic effort!

PR's 5K: 18:37, 10K: 39:51, 15K: 58:18, Half Marathon: 1:25:51 Marathon 3:19:15

2017 Goal: getting fit and lean again, before it's too late!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well to confound things I find running a sub 3 as a (almost) 45-year-old dude way easier than I did as a 32 year old. So there's that.

Geez you're old. Do you use a walker?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.