Bikepath etiquette (Read 1002 times)

Krisruns

OK, this is the last thing I will add, and then I will let this die. Someone earlier said that the cyclist was pointing to gesture that I should be on the right (sorry I don't know how to embed quotes from earlier posts). This cyclist was actually pointing to the dirt off of to the side of the path...guess he didn't want me anywhere. But thanks to everyone for the feedback and I agree with the general consensus -- we should always plan to yield. It's helpful to get runners' thoughts on these kinds of things, and to commiserate. Hope you all had great runs today!
      if it would just snow the pesky bugs and bikers would all go away... ;-) ----the crazy bikers that bike in the snow do it on the street ----

Runner

carry a stick, jump to the side and poke it in their spokes next time.. then run away for a good speed session. j/k I run on a bike path almost every day during the summer. Bikes on this path are for the most part just as courteous as everyone else. If someone is not then my opinion is they are a bully, and feel they own the path. We've all known these types. My biggest problems also arise when children with parents are on bikes, and Jr. is not really able to ride a bike but mom, dad, sister, cousin, and everyone else in the family feel it is their right to ruin others day by letting jr. ride his bike straight into people on the path that try to get out of the way. I've yet to find anywhere(including tracks) where there aren't any people that feel they have more of a right to the use of the facilties than others. Rant over... glad to see an outlet here... and by the way maybe I wasn't just kidding about my first suggestion if he was pointing that you should be on the dirt.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

The paths near me have a "walk on left, facing bikers" rule. I actually like the rule. We don't have rules about who yields for who, and walkers tend to walk several abreast. When I am biking, it is much easier if they can see me coming and give up a little space so I can get by. If they are walking on the right, they often have no idea I'm coming up behind them. I guess this really doesn't speak to the original question, but seems to fit anyway.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

seeEricaRun

Awesome

My biggest problems also arise when children with parents are on bikes, and Jr. is not really able to ride a bike but mom, dad, sister, cousin, and everyone else in the family feel it is their right to ruin others day by letting jr. ride his bike straight into people on the path that try to get out of the way.
            I use the local bike path for running and biking. The rules here are to keep to the right no matter what kind of traffic you are. When I run (or walk), I keep as far right as I possibly can, and often run off-path, in the dirt. This is in case I don't hear a cyclist coming, or just in case someone faster wants to pass. It is much easier and safer for me to avoid a cyclist by running in the dirt, than the other way around. Kids and teens are dangerous, and their parents are just as bad, but by far, number one in the a--hole category here is dog owners. Some people seem to feel it's okay to let their dogs off-leash on the bike path. Yes, you may think your dog is fine, won't run into me, run after me, or bite me, but I don't know that, and if they do something erratic, it's dangerous for both me and the dog. Even worse, is when they let their dogs go on-leash on the opposite side of the bike path from where they are standing. It's truly awesome when the leash is black, or it's dark out and you can't see it. What are these people thinking? I yelled at some elderly man for this just the other day. I came to a screeching halt from 20 mph because the leash was virtually invisible compared to the path. He was apologetic, but this is unbelievably dangerous for runners, bikers, and for the dogs. Ahh... nothing like a good rant.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, speaking of dog-related rants. It makes it harder to watch for errant cyclists and/or enjoy the outdoor scenery when one has to keep their eyes on the ground to avoid stepping squarely in a steaming pile of dog shit. Roll eyes

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I always understood that "wheels yield to heels", meaning that cyclists need to yield to runners.
                I run and I ride and I'll always yield to a cyclist. It's a heck of a lot easier and safer for me to step off the path than it is for a cyclist going 20mph or 30mph to do the same. You may be correct that a cyclist must yield to a runner but if you have a collision with one you are going to lose, just like with a car. Tom
                  To answer an earlier question, the bikepath I was on has very explicit signs, both at intersections and painted on the pavement to indicate that pedestrians should go against bike traffic. There are only two lanes...not separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists (but that would be nice!) The signs also note that this is a recreational bikepath, which is supposed to discourage Tour de France wanna bes.
                  Point taken that your community has rules that are pretty non-standard (at least judging from other responses). I suspect you probably have more traffic on larger paths than we do. For clarification, our "separated paths" are separated from highway traffic, maybe by 6 inches, at least for the older ones. Any non-motorized traffic can use them, so we have a mix of everything although usually dog walker, bikers, runners, baby joggers but not roller skiers and skate boarders, so far - all staying to the right, mostly. Definitely no separation within traffic modes and not wide enough to warrant a center line. It's also well within reach of snowplows clearing the highway (read: path gets normal snow PLUS the snow from the plows clearing the hwy) and people whose businesses front on the hwy have no concerns about putting snow berms across the bike path. This is improving over time though. Most paths where I am don't have any shoulder where a runner could avoid the asphalt, but we're providing input on new roads. Newer road projects are being designed to allow for bike paths that are out of reach of hwy snow plows so we don't get their snow. Enough runners have complained about lack of dirt or gravel beside asphalt paths, that some of the newer separated paths will have runner-suitable shoulders (maybe 6-12 in) - or at least they're still there in planning stages. IOW, we'd love to have a dirt shoulder where a biker could point for us to get there. (Anchorage does in some places, but we don't where I am.) But there's far more bikers and runners on trails rather than asphalt.
                  "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  AroundTheHorn

Next time close line his ass. He shouldn't be too much of a problem after that.....
                    Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.