Editing the gps map (Read 733 times)

micsnare

Hi guys,

is it possible to edit the gps map of an imported workout?

This might sound silly, but I forgot to press the stop button on my gps Garmin watch, and it tracked all the way till I got home.

This kinda messes up my statistics...

Forever in debt to your priceless advice,

thanks,

theresa

My Goals for 2012:

Run my first 5k in June in under 35 minutes

Run my 2nd 5k in September in under 33 minutes

Theresa, you can edit the workout data without needing to touch the actual GPS data file.  In the "Interval Data" section of the Edit Workout page, you'll have one or more line entries.  (I set my Garmin to record splits per mile, as seen HERE.)  To edit:

1. Click the pencil icon to the right of the last line in your workout;
      2. Edit the time and/or distance as desired;
      3. Click the save icon;
      4. Check the Auto Sum-Intervals box (the overall distance, time and pace should all update); and
      5. Click Save.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

micsnare

Thanks Clive, but somehow it doesn't update the map.

It still shows the extra bit, the way home...but I don't want this to count, although I have already deleted it from the GPS Interval on the summary page.

Is there anything I can do about it?

My Goals for 2012:

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Are you concerned about the map or your statistics? If the latter, you can edit the workout details. You cannot edit the map itself, but the map does nothing to your stats.

eric :)

Theresa,

You cannot modify the GPS data once it is uploaded.  The data consists of a series of data points.  Each point contains the location and time information from which the distance and pace are calculated.  Modifying the data points will result in inconsistent data.

As others have suggested, the GPS data is used to generate the workout data.  You can modify the workout numbers to update the total distance and duration to ensure the stats are correct.  The map is just a record of where you ran.

eric Smile

As others have suggested, the GPS data is used to generate the workout data.  You can modify the workout numbers to update the total distance and duration to ensure the stats are correct.  The map is just a record of where you ran.

Just to quibble ... the GPS map is just a record of where the GPS traveled. Big grin  RA extracts from the GPS file to generate the workout data.  Any subsequent editing/saving of the workout statistics is permanent, despite it not editing the GPS file or map (i.e., RA only extracts the workout data from the GPS file once).  I've often had to add a "correction" line in the GPS Intervals section to correct for a button-pushing error or when I accidentally bumped the start-stop button mid-run and didn't realize it for a while.

If your goal is to have the Course information be corrected (rather than the Workout data, which is different), then I'm afraid you're SOL.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

an amazing likeness

If your goal is to have the Course information be corrected (rather than the Workout data, which is different), then I'm afraid you're SOL.

Can't just start the GPS and very carefully walk backwards from the finish point to erase a section...? Confused

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

npaden

You can edit the .gpx file before you upload it if you really want to fix the map. There are a few programs that can do it, but most cost money although some have free trial versions. You can also pull the file up in a text format and delete the extra waypoints you don't want, but that can get a little tricky. Good luck.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

kcam

You can edit the .gpx file before you upload it if you really want to fix the map. There are a few programs that can do it, but most cost money although some have free trial versions. You can also pull the file up in a text format and delete the extra waypoints you don't want, but that can get a little tricky. Good luck.

This works.  Also, you can export the workout from RA to your computer in GPX format, load it up in a text editor, delete the waypoints you don't want and then re-import (as GPX file).  Then delete the original workout with the extra waypoints.  Kind of a major hassle just to clean up the map but it can be done.

micsnare

Hey guys,

thanks soooo much for all your answers. I really do appreciate them Smile

You guys are right, the stats are way more important than the map, and I think I can live with it not being right as long as the stats are right.

I think I will just be more careful in the future, and will double check if my watch is still "recording".

@Eric: I wanna thank you so much for creating and running this site. You would not believe how much fun and inspiration but most of all motivation I gained from your site. It's utterly refreshing to have a chance to look back on your running progress, after all it's only been my first year of running.

Tomorrow morning I'm running my first 5k race, and after months of consequent training I hope I will do alright. Smile

My Goals for 2012: