You never know tell you go.. (Read 853 times)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Whatever you guys might think is in your way and keeping you from running, get out there anyway, you never know what is in store for you out there: Yesterday, I had just about convinced myself not to go out and do my final long run before my 1/2 next weekend. My running partners were not going, my husband was grummpy about taking the kids, I had not eaten anything, it was hot. So I HTFU and got out the door, mile three I find an unopened GU on the ground. I pocketed it in case I start to bonk (I was a little leary but in an emergency). Mile 5 I run into my high school basketball coach and he tells me how proud he is that I'm still an "athlete" Blush. Mile 7 someone has turned on their sprinklers, so I ran through them like a kid. Mile 8 my husband calls and tells me the kids are having so much fun at the beach they're going to stay another hour. 9 miles in 1:17. I still have the GU, I think I'll put it in a shadow box frame as a reminder to get out the door no matter what.
    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.

Just Be

Sounds like an awesome day! Smile
        This is a great story......but what the heck is a GU?? Im not up on 'text talk'...... Last week, I was out on a 5 miler (after I finished I had some work around the house to do and needed a specific Wrench that I didnt own to do the job - was gonna go buy one)...well, I got to the 2 1/2 mile point and turned around.....took a glug of my water and looked down...and on the side of the road was laying right there - (a wrench - just like I was going to buy) waiting there for me......This was out front of an open field (not like it was in front of someone's house) so all I could figure was the the Running Gods put it there for me as a reward...... You just never know...... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Carps10

you talked on your cell phone during a run? there's no way I can respect you now...

The voice of mile 18

NICE! almost as good as money. have fun at your half mary

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

This is a great story......but what the heck is a GU?? Im not up on 'text talk'......
              GU is a brand of energy gel. http://www.guenergy.com/
                GU is a brand of energy gel. http://www.guenergy.com/
                Thanks - I just read the web site on GU.....I think the running world has passed me by and I need to update....I think I settled into my own little running world and there are all these thing like GU that I havent paid much attention to over the past few years.......Maybe Ill get lucky and find some on my next run.... Big grin I can only hope.... I never even 'thought' of using anyting like this...but probably should....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Good for you Aimster! I especially love the part about your former coach - I'm sure that put a spring in your step. Thanks for the reminder!
                  ~ Fly ~
                  Only as much as I dream can I be.
                  veggies on the run

Mitch & Pete's Mom

you talked on your cell phone during a run? there's no way I can respect you now...
                    Hey, its a mom thing. I started carrying it on my long runs after I came home one day and my husband had taken my son to ER.
                    Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hey, its a mom thing. I started carrying it on my long runs after I came home one day and my husband had taken my son to ER.
                      Ooh, that happened to me once - I came home and the front door was wide open, my husband's wallet was on the table, and he plus the three kids were all gone. Scared the heck out of me. Turns out DD (15 months) had a febrile seizure and they'd gone to the ER. Cell phones are good!
                      Go Daddy

You know, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get out the door. Better to be on the road with peace of mind than sitting around at home.
                        Carps10

alright I no longer disrespect you, it's just something I(and all the runners I know) couldn't imagine doing
                            Same thing like how I felt today. Smile I did overtime at work yesterday night and thus came home later than usual. I couldn't sleep very well for some unknown reason. Woke up feeling like death. I had to go to school to take a test that morning. Slept for the whole train ride there. Then I had to pick up my race pack from the National University of Singapore (NUS). I'm unfamiliar with the campus so I spent one hour on foot getting lost before I finally sucked up my ego and asked for directions. All the while, the lingering feeling of death was still on me. After collecting, I slept my way through the train ride back to my home. Came back and chucked my things on the floor and contemplated about sleeping because I was so exhausted. But I figured what the heck, I told myself if I don't feel good after 2km, I can walk home. And then I did an 8km tempo Big grin Ah the power of running..