Taper stiffness? (Read 764 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I did my last really long run last Monday, a moderately long run this past Sat., and today's run was REALLY stiff feeling. I've come off of several 30ish mile weeks in a row and at least 4 days/week of running. Today I felt just weak, slow, achey, stiff...is this a typical taper thing? I did also just do a pretty intense full-body weight training session yesterday, so I wonder if that is a factor? My 25k is this Sat. and I plan to take tomorrow off, do upper body weight work on Thurs, then just 3 miles or so on Fri. I'm really hoping that I feel more limber by race day, though. Today was so "off" feeling. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I imagine it has more to do with your weight session than anything else. Also, it could be a response to all of those high mileage weeks that you would be feeling even (or especially) if you weren't tapering. In any case, your taper is coming at just the right time, and you are very ready for your big race. You are like these shirts I used to see: "Nixon for President in '88. He's tanned, rested, and ready." Well, except for the tanned part. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You are like these shirts I used to see: "Nixon for President in '88. He's tanned, rested, and ready." Well, except for the tanned part. Clowning around
        Heh...I even have the tanned part (want my legs to look less like bratwurst on race day)! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Tapering sucks. I always feel phantom aches and pains, my legs always feel like lead, and I always become convinced I can't possibly run a whole mile, not to mention 26. I usually run one fast run (fast but not long - 10k or less) the weekend before a marathon - that seems to alleviate some of that. I'll do some quick strides or something mid-week before a race, too. Anything to make that taper feeling go away for a bit. This time around, I set a roughly 40 second 5k PR six days before the marathon, just to prove my legs were still there. Not that I can count it, unless somebody wants to come certify my neighborhood. My mileage went 70 - to 40- to 25 ... and by then, my legs felt like crap. But they were ready when it counted. Don't sweat it. I'd worry more if you didn't feel that way, no matter how much it sucks. Nothing wrong with running a few easy miles right up until your race, by the way. A lot of people do. But I'd definitely lay off the weight training. It can't help you this close to your race - and it could hurt you. I did exactly none the month before the CMM. I sure wouldn't even think about it 2 days before a long race. Relax. The proverbial hay is in the proverbial barn. Go have a beer.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

But I'd definitely lay off the weight training. It can't help you this close to your race - and it could hurt you. ..Relax. The proverbial hay is in the proverbial barn. Go have a beer.
            That's a good point about the weights. Even though you're planning on doing just upper body on Thursday, sore arms start will start to fell awfully heavy over the course of 15.5342798059 miles (give or take). Also a good point about the beer.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tapering sucks. I always feel phantom aches and pains, my legs always feel like lead, and I always become convinced I can't possibly run a whole mile, not to mention 26. I usually run one fast run (fast but not long - 10k or less) the weekend before a marathon - that seems to alleviate some of that. I'll do some quick strides or something mid-week before a race, too. Don't sweat it. I'd worry more if you didn't feel that way, no matter how much it sucks. Relax. The proverbial hay is in the proverbial barn. Go have a beer.
              Sweet! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's a good point about the weights. Even though you're planning on doing just upper body on Thursday, sore arms start will start to fell awfully heavy over the course of 15.5342798059 miles (give or take). Also a good point about the beer.
                Hmmm...beer, definitely. Usually I don't feel any pain more than a day after any weight workout, but maybe I would be wise to lay off the weights on Thurs. Perhaps I will run 4-5 miles again tomorrow, then take Thurs. off, run 3 or so on Fri.... k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Perhaps I will run 4-5 miles again tomorrow, then take Thurs. off, run 3 or so on Fri....
                  That sounds like a great plan. Meanwhile, I will do my part and take care of the beer thing...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, so now I know the pains aren't in my head. I just went 4 miserable miles...first mile was sorta stiff and sore, but I chalked it up to not being warmed up yet...but it got worse. By the last mile or so I was nearly limping. WTF? I was wearing the same shoes that I went 16+ miles in last week (a bit more stable than my old stand-bys and seem to make my sore outer right arch not bother me as much--I think I might have a touch of PF, since walking barefoot really irritates that area). Now they seem to be causing me fits. This seems to be a trend for me...I will love a shoe for a week or two, then it will turn on me. I'll switch shoes and generally things work better for another week or two. See-saw... I guess it's back to my "Cadillacs"--1222--for race day. That model has gotten me through 2 10 mile races and a HM, so at least I know they are time tested. Damned beer budget feet with champagne tastes.... k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Shoes: Hmm, I guess you dance with the ones that got you there. Pure hunch here. I noticed you posted this rather late (7:24 MI time). You seem to run at different times throughout the day. Is there a correlation between run suckitude and time of day? Maybe your feet are more sore later in the day. I seem to remember you posting about wearing substantial non-running footwear; nevertheless, perhaps your feets are just too sore to run at the end of the day. If this is true, that's a good thing because races are (usually) in the morning. Big grin Cheers, Jeff Tan, Rested, Ready

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nah, my sucky run yesterday was in the AM and the last evening run I did was blissful. I think I'm just struggling to find the right amount of stability to make my outer arches happy, but not be too controlling for my lower legs. The 767 made everything but my arches happy. 857 makes arches happy, but not legs. 1222 seems to make arches a teeny bit annoyed by the last third of a long race, but as long as the rest of my legs are happy, I can deal with that compromise. I'm just glad I have 3 newish pair of shoes to play between depending upon my needs on any given day. And when not in running shoes I am either in my orthopedic Danish clogs or my teva sandals with OK support. I'm avoiding anything without a stiffer molded footbed and being very careful walking barefoot, as this seems to be an irritant. If this keeps up for very long after 5/3 I plan to see a sports podiatrist. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If this keeps up for very long after 5/3 I plan to see a sports podiatrist.
                          ZZ, if it comes to that I can connect you with my podiatrist friend in Grand Rapids, if you like. I don't know if he's a sports podiatrist per se, but he's a very smart guy, and a very avid runner (marathons, Ironman triathlons) so he certainly understands runners and their issues. Besides, I owe him because a) he paced me through laps 2 and 3 of my otherwise solo 1-mile PR and b) he was present for my single most embarrassing drunk moment (and that's saying a lot). Tongue Cheers, Jeff

Kirsten~I have one more long run this weekend and then my 3 week taper begins. Right now, I'm feeling all sorts of tweaks and pains...not sure if that's because I'm so close I'm paranoid? or because I'm at the peak of training and my body is telling me to slow down. Either which way, everytime I taper I go through the very same things you are talking about now. I would just say, rest and gentle stretches. now the beer and "tanned, rested, ready" thing has me lmbo! Big grin You guys are too funny.

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

ZZ, if it comes to that I can connect you with my podiatrist friend in Grand Rapids, if you like. I don't know if he's a sports podiatrist per se, but he's a very smart guy, and a very avid runner (marathons, Ironman triathlons) so he certainly understands runners and their issues.
                              Hey, I remember you had him answer a question of mine a while back...now I can't even recall what the question was (PF, maybe?). If I continue to have issues I will definitely seek out his help, assuming he works with my insurance (which I would guess he does, as it's very popular in this area) and I can get a referral from my regular doc (also very likely, as he's a good guy). If nothing else, I have 3 pair of fairly new shoes, all with differing levels of stability (mild-moderate, moderate-high, high), so I can always rotate them as I need to. This seems to be working pretty well, I just hope whatever shoe I end up in on Sat. works for the entire 15.5 miles. I will likely go with the shoe that has worked well for me in other long races. k

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

Good luck in the race! Say hello to my friend John Keane at the Brooks Booth.