Cramp/Side Stitch question-more for the ladies (Read 955 times)

Baby bean!

Whenever I get a cramp or stitch, it is always on the left side. Has been since I was a dancer. I say this is more for the ladies because it actually feels more like an ovary pain than a cramp like you'd get in your leg. Make sense? I've tried breathing techniques, like in in in , out out, or in in in , out out out out, so that I am alternating which foot I breathe in on. I've hydrated a lot. I'm just curious if this is something I'll get over or if someone has had some tricks that work. Thanks! Edited to clarify a bit: Okay, let me describe it a wee bit more. It's not like a menstrual cramp. It's more like a stabbing pain (or for the ladies, the pain you get when you ovulate...sorry guys!). It subsides when I stop running. I'm so sorry if I sound like the biggest idiot. It just hurts and impedes a bit.

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Most likely you'll get over it. Sounds like you're doing the right stuff. You can also try lifting the arm on your affected side over your head. That helped me when I would get them. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

The arm over the head trick works for me - it just slows me down a bit, but the stitch goes away. I've never heard of pain in the ovaries before .... maybe I'm just lucky?
          Whenever I get a cramp or stitch, it is always on the left side. Has been since I was a dancer. I say this is more for the ladies because it actually feels more like an ovary pain than a cramp like you'd get in your leg. Make sense? I've tried breathing techniques, like in in in , out out, or in in in , out out out out, so that I am alternating which foot I breathe in on. I've hydrated a lot. I'm just curious if this is something I'll get over or if someone has had some tricks that work. Thanks! Edited to clarify a bit: Okay, let me describe it a wee bit more. It's not like a menstrual cramp. It's more like a stabbing pain (or for the ladies, the pain you get when you ovulate...sorry guys!). It subsides when I stop running. I'm so sorry if I sound like the biggest idiot. It just hurts and impedes a bit.
          The fact the pain subsides when you stop running most probably means your issue is not so much of any possible medical problem with your ovary. "Stitch" is not necessarily muscle thing. Cramp in your legs are most likely electrolite imbalance. If the pain is right below your rib cage, it could be actually a cramp of diaphram. Diaphram is a muscle and will be used quite a bit for breathing. This is not so much from electrolite imbalance but being over-used. Yes, you WILL overcome it once your breathing gets settled (=your aerobic capacity is developed adequately). You can possibly ease it by stretching your abs by things like lying down on your stomach and lift your upper body with your arms, arching your back... Feel your abs being stretched. "Stitch" can come from totally different cause than "muscle cramp". If it's on your right side (I know yours is not...), it's most likely your liver. Your liver pumps blood through your body and, when you start running, it's going in over-drive. Again, this would be right underneath your ribcage on your right side. You WILL overcome once you get in a better shape and your liver can work much harder. Yes, you do get those sharp pain in the lower area. I've had it before and, last I checked, I don't have an overy (;o)). When you start running, or exercising strenuously, lots of blood would be rushed to the working muscles (mainly legs). Some people even question about taking some energy gel or even energy drink while running because it's either your blood would be drawn from the working muscles to other parts OR don't get enough blood to stomach/intestine to absorb those energy stuff. Well, basically, what I would suggest it; slow down when you get the pain. Keep working out however. Once you get your basic fitness level up, it will go away. It's just a matter of getting your circulatory system stronger.

Baby bean!

Thank you to all of you. Nobby, I feel like I owe you my first born with all of your explanations. Big grin I am plugging through and will continue to do so. I guess I just need to give it time. Undecided

Goals:
            Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

I notice that when I take an extended time off from running (I just had a month off) the first two weeks I have to battle stitches till I get back in running shape. Once I've ran for a bit, they seem to just disappear. I think you just have to reteach yourself to breathe and such...

Go Pre!

Drew (DrewEOB) should be by here soon to chime in. He's had ovary issues for a while now.

Think Whirled Peas

Drew (DrewEOB) should be by here soon to chime in. He's had ovary issues for a while now.
                  ZING!!!!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Who would have known that sharp pain on my lower right side was my LIVER! It happens to me very rarely, but when it does, ooo, it it impeding for sure. I usually fix it by taking deep, even, very controlled breaths through my nose and taking large, even, controlled exhales through my mouth. A minute or two of that and viola! - "stitch" is gone.

2012: Just run.