Moving widgets makes site scroll to top (Read 491 times)

When I add a widget to any of the panes and click + hold on the top bar to move it around, my webpage automatically scrolls back up to the top of the page.  This makes it hard to move widgets under other widgets as they always scroll back up as soon as you start to drag it.  It also makes it pretty much impossible to add stuff to the correct place in the main pane.

I'm using an aluminum Macbook (from before this model became discontinued) and Safari 5.1.2.  I'm able to customize the display without problems using Firefox 5.0.1.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

xhristopher

When I add a widget to any of the panes and click + hold on the top bar to move it around, my webpage automatically scrolls back up to the top of the page.  This makes it hard to move widgets under other widgets as they always scroll back up as soon as you start to drag it.  It also makes it pretty much impossible to add stuff to the correct place in the main pane.

I'm using an aluminum Macbook (from before this model became discontinued) and Safari 5.1.2.  I'm able to customize the display without problems using Firefox 5.0.1.

I get this too and figure it's because I've got the same Macbook (5,1 / Late 2008) as you. Here's the thing. It's actually a puzzle. You have to place the items you want on the bottom first and then stack everything up on that leaving what you want on top for last. In the end persistence always wins. 

That's a good solution if you know what you'd like it to look like in advance!  It's hard to mess around with it to get a nice layout though. Wink  I just ended up making mine in Firefox, but I figured I should post it in case it's a broader problem with Safari and the Macbook trackpad.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

eric :)

Snowsickle,

I'll need to check if it's a Safari specific issue.  Maybe other Safari users can chime in either way so I don't have to seek out a Mac.  My blood pressure rises every time I use it so I try to avoid it ;-)

xhristopher

Snowsickle,

I'll need to check if it's a Safari specific issue.  Maybe other Safari users can chime in either way so I don't have to seek out a Mac.  My blood pressure rises every time I use it so I try to avoid it ;-)

I just tested this. Here's what I observed.

• Scrolling was out of control in Safari and rearranging widgets required skill or luck.
            • Scrolling worked poorly in Chrome. Scrolling widgets down didn't work but scrolling widget up worked, if I was careful.
            • Scrolling worked perfectly in Firefox.

So, as I see it, Apple needs to fix Safari and Google needs to tweak Chrome, not the other way round.