Races vs. Time Trials (Read 1217 times)

L Train

I find TM running easier than on the roads to maintain pace.  I think It's mental for me - on the road, I have to create and maintain the pace/effort.  On the TM, if I'm running fast I just have to keep up with the damn thing so I don't fly off the back.

Lane

It's uncommon to find one that goes to eleven.

Spinal Tap has a treadmill that goes to eleven.

At the risk of flogging a dead horse - all this talk about relative pace on treadmills is only meaningful if you know that they're all properly calibrated. I'm pretty sure that they're not...

L Train

My treadmills are perfectly calibrated because I have yet to fall off except that one time a long time ago that doesn't count because no one was in the room except me and Stuart Scott. 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

When "racing" on treadmills, I'm always tempted to try and float above the belt as long as possible as the 'ground' speeds past underneath me.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

At the risk of flogging a dead horse - all this talk about relative pace on treadmills is only meaningful if you know that they're all properly calibrated. I'm pretty sure that they're not...

Actually, I meant to add that too and that's a legit and important point too.  Like I said, I can NEVER run anywhere NEAR I know I'm capable of in the actual race, be it on the track or road, on treadmill.  And a large part, I'm convinced it's not properly calibrated.  Otherwise, it's too depressing!!

And of course it's easier to run fast on treadmill because the "belt" will pull you along.  I do do treadmill run once in a while even on a beautiful summer day if I feel lazy to do a tempo run.  It does help you to pull along; it is definitely mentally easier.  Even then, I just cannot run nearly as fast on treadmill.  It's much more accurate, as far as I'm concerned, to go by heart rate on treadmill than the built-in counter.

Why is it sideways?

When "racing" on treadmills, I'm always tempted to try and float above the belt as long as possible as the 'ground' speeds past underneath me.

I do this with the road. Haven't flown yet, but sometimes, almost.

xhristopher

My treadmills are perfectly calibrated because I have yet to fall off except that one time a long time ago that doesn't count because no one was in the room except me and Stuart Scott. 

Did you at least catch how Stuart announced the spill? Please share. I'm sure it was good.

xhristopher

I think this tm vs. road discussion (easier vs. harder w/ questions about calibration) will go on in a circular manor until we invent something better. I think it's individual, both physical and mental. Also, I think it depends on how used to the TM you get.

Last year I did tons of running on the tm and was able to do some decent workouts on it. This year, after hardly touching it for 12 months, tm running is mostly annoying and tedious to me. I'm the same person but it seems I've switched camps, mostly because I'm not using it that much. 

I think this tm vs. road discussion (easier vs. harder w/ questions about calibration) will go on in a circular manor until we invent something better.

I propose we meet here to discuss.

circular manor

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                      xhristopher

I propose we meet here to discuss.

circular manor

I could go back and edit it to "circular manner" but, for the record, I was talking about a circular manor. Thanks for posting a photo of my gym. You should see its indoor track.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I could go back and edit it to "circular manner" but, for the record, I was talking about a circular manor. Thanks for posting a photo of my gym. You should see its indoor track.

How many laps/mile?  Is it banked?

xhristopher

How many laps/mile?  Is it banked?

70 and it's banked like a toilet bowel with a mondo surface.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

70 and it's banked like a toilet bowel with a mondo surface.

Yee-haw, a marathon in there would be a real trip!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Who predicted this thread would go to the toilet by page 4?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.