Intervals: Static start or Flying start? (Read 634 times)

I'm curious as to how you guys do your intervals. Do you, 1. Prop your foot against the start line, and when the voice in your head screams 'Go!', you simultaneously start your stopwatch and run. (Stationary/Static start) Or 2. Start a couple of meters before the start line to gain momentum and then start your stopwatch as you run pass the start line. (Flying start) If so, which one is the correct method?

SMART Approach

#2 You should be warmed up for 10-15 minutes including some striders before running fast intervals. Then ease into pae. This is not a race. No need to stop and then start like it is a race. You don't want that mindset. Also, your first interval should not be as hard. Allow your body to adjust.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jeffdonahue

Always do #2 personally, and then build up to the pace instead of fast starts and stops. I usually do active recovery between anyway so I am already moving as I near the next interval.
          It depends on who I'm working out with... Wink I kind of like the 'static start' at times, but I do some track races (800 - 3000) in local open meets, so I don't mind the practice now and then. I also play some soccer, so standing start sprints aren't odd for me. I'd say as far as trying to keep a steady pace, a flying start would probably be the better way to go most of the time. And less dangerous as far as getting run over on a busy track if there's a bunch doing workouts at once. Shocked
          JakeKnight

Always do #2 personally, and then build up to the pace instead of fast starts and stops. I usually do active recovery between anyway so I am already moving as I near the next interval.
            Agree. I'm moving anyway. Why stop just to start? The only time I do them from a dead stop is if I'm running a full out time trial and want an accurate time. Otherwise I don't see much point in stopping. Not to mention the fact that if you're just starting doing work at the track, I'd guess that the sudden start would be your highest risk of injury. Better to be gentle, at least at first.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

I think it depends what you're training for to some extent. If you're an 800m runner or miler doing 200's, standing start probably makes sense. Since I train primarily for road races in the 5k to 26.2 mile range, I pretty much alwasy do a rolling start--most of my workouts are one continuous run including warmup, cooldown and recovery jogs.

Runners run

I think it depends what you're training for to some extent. If you're an 800m runner or miler doing 200's, standing start probably makes sense. Since I train primarily for road races in the 5k to 26.2 mile range, I pretty much alwasy do a rolling start--most of my workouts are one continuous run including warmup, cooldown and recovery jogs.
                Ditto for the most part. I do do both, but generally opt for rolling starts.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I do warm up by doing a couple of laps first. Then I rest for about a minute or two before doing intervals. One thing I noticed about doing stationary starts is that I tend to go out too fast. So I tried some rolling starts and noticed that I could maintain pace better. But I was afraid that it is considered "cheating" because I don't know if it is the 'right' method of doing intervals. Thanks for the output guys! Big grin

Feeling the growl again

Standing start. Nice and consistent. Unless you are running sprints, I can't see the takeoff being aggressive enough to risk injury.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills