Invisible Fences for dogs (Read 865 times)

jfa

I got a quote from the Invisible Fence company and it was rather pricey. I see that I can buy the parts (Lowes and pet stores) and put it together myself and save about a thousand dollars.

Anyone have any experience with these? Any brands better than others?

Thanks in advance.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Joe,

I think the system we have is made by Innotek.  You just need to buy the transmitter and dog collar(s), and buy a big spool of wire at a hardware store. Easy to DIY.  We didn't bury the wire except where it crosses our driveway - we just laid it on the ground.  We "fenced" about 3 acres of our 35-acre property, so the dogs can run around but can't chase the deer.  Works great.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

We have (had) Invisible Fence at the house we just sold and were very happy with it.  Our big dog trained quickly with it and obeyed it unless something was REALLY compelling and then he would take the hit and leave the yard.  He is an inside dog, so it was for bathroom trips and hanging out with us in the yard, mainly.  I know it is expensive. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

npaden

I have the innotek wireless pet fence. I use 2 transmitters and it covers about an acre. I think I paid $500 or so for the entire setup. Only drawback is having to have the collar on all the time.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Ojo

We put in a Pet Safe fence about 2 months ago.  It was purchased at a local pet store for around $350 (we have a large yard so we had to purchased extra wire).  It works well -- you just need to be sure to do the proper training yourself so that your dog doesn't get shocked and then is afraid to go out.  We had that happen, took the collar off for about a week, and then started all over again.  We haven't had any problems since.

Sara

MM #2929

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I keep mis-reading the thread title... Invisible Feces for Dogs

Not sure whether it's a good idea or a bad idea...

Liz

pace sera, sera

I have the PetSafe Stubborn Dog fence.  I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, if you're wondering why that model appealed to me.

It took about four hours for me and a buddy to bury (under half an acre enclosed).  My dog has been shocked a total of three times, ever.  It's fantastic.  I've had it for about two years now, and it's still working great.  I will agree that training is very important--we spent a lot of time walking the yard and establishing boundaries so she would know where she wasn't supposed to go before the shock collar ever went on.

I got the system plus the wire online.  Spent about $200.  Got to love Amazon.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

I just bought invisible fence brand with installation and some bells and whistles for a little over a grand, but the option to do it myself for $300 was there...if I'd had more time than money on my hands.

We were a few days into training and we had an, erm, misshap on day one of "correction" where the dog got out of the house off leash ran around and the kids chased him into a side of the house where he ran through the signal field for about 20 yards getting shocked the whole way...now he's a bit skittish bout going out but he's getting a little more comfortable.  He definitely respects the white flags right now!  The challenge is getting him to re-learn where he CAN go safely.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I had the wire already buried when I bought the place....250 yards of it.  I just went to WalMart and bought a cheapie and hooked it to the wire, it worked fine.  All that was annoying was going through the watch batteries in the collar.

A lot of the results will depend on the dog.  It did not take mine long to figure out that he only gets shocked if he has that collar on.  So it "sort of" works, if I REALLY care that he not follow us on a walk or go over to our friends across the road, I put the collar on him and he grumpily lies under a bush behind the house until I take it off.  Otherwise he stays behind the wire 99% of the time...unless he really wants to go out to follow us or visit the neighbor for food or something.

As a runner I am a big lover of the invention.  There are several dogs around here that I KNOW would be a PIA to deal with if it were not for the invisible fence training.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Half Fanatic #846

I keep mis-reading the thread title... Invisible Feces for Dogs

Not sure whether it's a good idea or a bad idea...

I'd sure hate stepping in stuff I couldn't see, so yeah -  it's a bad idea... 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Friend of mine has one for her dog.  Dog respects the boundaries until the neighbor dog comes to play, and they both romp away, oblivious to the "fence."  Then dog can't get back home when they're done.  Also, neighbor dog occasionally helps chew off the shock collar, for a cleaner jailbreak.  They've gone through three collars.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'd sure hate stepping in stuff I couldn't see, so yeah -  it's a bad idea... 

Odorless would be preferable to invisible.

jfa

Also, neighbor dog occasionally helps chew off the shock collar, for a cleaner jailbreak. 

Hopefully, my neighbors dogs are not that smart.

Thanks much for the info everyone. I'm going to try to put it together myself.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Apparently my vet is training her office cat to the invisible fencing.  The cat wears some type of vest that shocks him into compliance.  I was speechless when I found out that cats can be trained to the system.  It is still unbelievable in my opinion.

npaden

Just to clarify, the one I use is the same Petsafe brand, but it's wireless so there isn't any wire to bury or mess with.  Another huge benefit is that you can take it with you.

The coverage is in a circle from the transmitter and it gets about a 90 foot radius at maximum setting but you can dial it down if you need to.  I have 2 that are on opposite ends of the house so our coverage area is more like a snowman.  You set flags out at first to show the boundaries and thats it.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)