The Mile (Read 589 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

okay, I hit the track tonight: 2x3x300m (56sec) with 90sec jog - 2min jog/rest between sets.  Spaniel's idea of feeling the pace was spot on -- the 6th interval was easier than either of the first two.  However, after 200m I was already huffing and puffing.  Not a good sign.

I could probably do an 800 at this pace, but I doubt I could keep it for a mile.

There are two master guys in the sub3 group that we all hope will finally break the sub-5 barrier (nobody has done it yet for this race).  I just talked to the best prospect (Rob, who could probably hit 4:40s), but he's not racing because he feels flat and just doesn't want to get injured if it's not going to be an epic time.  Not sure if the other guy (Jeremy) is running.  He can certainly do 5 and change.  I bet he can dip under 5.

But if neither of these guys are running, then I might just take a look at the field and race to win -- stalking some darkhorse through the last quarter until I blow up.

This is a lot of fun to plan/train for.  I'm not sure why there aren't more 1-mile events.  Maybe I'll find out when I throw up after the race.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Did another 6x300 with 100m recovery (60-80sec).  Maybe it was chasing faster guys, or the cool morning, but it was a heck of a lot easier to pull this off than it was just 4 days ago.   I think the muscles are getting the hint.

Still not a pace I could keep for 4 laps, though.

Pacing is going to be an interesting challenge this Saturday since I'm training faster than pace.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

joescott

Still not a pace I could keep for 4 laps, though.

You don't know that yet.  It feels like that based on your workouts, but when you actually step up to the line you will be shocked that the first 600 meters actually feels far easier than you thought.

Love your plan to run to win.  If you do it, you need to size up your competition in the race as quickly as possible.  Watch out for the idiot who goes out the first 200 in 29 seconds (only to die hard after 400) and let him go, but pay attention to the guy who looks smooth and under control and don't lose him!  If you find yourself in the lead, well, assume you are the prey, and unless you believe yourself to be a phenomenal kicker I would advise you to try really really hard to drop people starting as far as 600m from the finish.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

apropos

"Why the Mile is Dead (and Worth Saving)"

“By the mid-80s every state dropped the mile and two-mile, except Massachusetts, and went to four laps on the track—the 1600,” Lamppa says. “Because the so-called adults made a decision to do four laps on a track and say that's close enough.”

We also didn't vote for Nixon. Just sayin'.

Runners run

joescott

“Breaking four minutes for the 1600 means virtually nothing.”

Well, I guess.  I'd be pretty happy with it.

Seriously, though, as "weird" as 1600 meters is, I contend that it is still not nearly as weird as 1500 m.  Whoever came up with that had to be doing some serious opium.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

DaBurger

apropos

"Why the Mile is Dead (and Worth Saving)"

The Marathon is not equal to the mile.  The cool part of a 4 minute mile is the 4 minute part.  The cool part about the marathon is the marathon part.  If I wanted to equate the two, it would be akin to saying anything slower than a 2:30 marathon doesn't count.

Know thyself.

Walk-Jogger

. . . Watch out for the idiot who goes out the first 200 in 29 seconds (only to die hard after 400) and let him go . . . 

LOL - that was me, inexperienced and untrained for the track, running the 1500/1600/mile at the local summer series all-comers meets way back when I was in my early 30's and only a road-runner. I don't think I ever wised up those few times I ran the distance, and I remember it now with much amusement. Going out in the lead at a 72 first lap, and finishing on wobbly legs in a 90-something final lap. I did manage to get my mile time down to 5:09 best, but I could have easily run sub-5:00 back then had I trained and raced intelligently. My mile times back then age-grade to about 72%, and today I run the mile at around 82% age-graded, thanks to smarter training and racing.

I had no idea what I was doing back then, I just went all out from the gun. There was no internet back then to research and educate ones self on these matters, so for me it was all trial and error, and I was slow to pick up on the errors.

Retired &  Loving It

mikeymike

The Marathon is not equal to the mile

They teach you that at your fancy engineering college?

Runners run

DaBurger

They teach you that at your fancy engineering college?

That's all they taught me for $200k over 4 years

Know thyself.

mikeymike

26.2 > 1

Cha-ching!

Runners run

“Breaking four minutes for the 1600 means virtually nothing.”

Well, I guess.  I'd be pretty happy with it.

Seriously, though, as "weird" as 1600 meters is, I contend that it is still not nearly as weird as 1500 m.  Whoever came up with that had to be doing some serious opium.

having said that, at my son's school and many of the other High Schools, the indoor track is 150m. The 1500m and 3K races make more sense than running 1600/3200.   I think I'll suggest that to the coach for next year's invite.... I'm sure he'll jump all over this one... :-)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

But if neither of these guys are running, then I might just take a look at the field and race to win -- stalking some darkhorse through the last quarter until I blow up.

That can bring some surprises. Running in the intramural mile way back in college days, I thought there wasn't anyone else in the field that could even flirt with 5:15, so I wasn't that worried sitting in 4th at the quarter in 74. When I came through the 3/4 in 3:47 and was still sitting in 4th, I was worried. It took a gut busting 70 second last quarter to pull out the win.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

The great thing about the mile is that you are almost guaranteed a RACE – where you are neck and neck with someone in the last 200. This is a rarity in almost every road 5k and up I’ve run. And granted, I’ve only run 2 mile races, but they were both sweet, and the second one was unforgettable as a real competitive race.

I have no real advice, other than get out fast in the first lap, eat up ground in the second, pay attention in the third, and race like hell in the last.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                              DaBurger

26.2 > 1

Cha-ching!

And running a successful mile is defined in a vastly different way than running a successful marathon.

Know thyself.