Running in very hot weather (Read 541 times)

Am I doing this right?

When summer comes I start running before work in the mornings.  I find it much more tolerable, I seem to have more energy first thing (after my body wakes up around mile 1 or so), and I always seem to feel better the rest of the day after a morning run.  It really is a win-win for me.  YMMV.

No excuses....

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

If you have to run in heat, just make sure it's a dry heat...

If anyone wants to join me, Calico Racing's Running With the Devil is June 29th at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area - they have a 5k, 10k, HM, FM, and 50-mile distances available. It should be triple-digits by that time, can't wait for a fun race! Smile

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

ckerr1999

Thanks everyone for the advice. Manage to do 5 miles last night...little shorter then my planned 7. I find my muscles are a little sorer after running in the heat. Fortunately this heat wave will break by Sunday, and much cooler tempeartures are forcasted for next week. Night time temperatures should be around 55-65 F. Much better then the 95F last night.

P.S. The picture is of my King Charles Cavalier.. My wife and I have two Cavaliers. The one in the picture above and a black and tan.,,,

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

When summer comes I start running before work in the mornings.  I find it much more tolerable,

Ditto...when I can drag my butt out of bed. Wink  For long runs, I would carry multiple water bottles.  One to carry/drink and others to drop/hide along route for pick-up on return.  Worked well for 10-20 mile training runs in hot/humid weather.  I also had Gatorade or Powerade in car when I finished.

As someone else said, rehydration isn't everything.  If you become light headed, nausea, or stop sweating you're in trouble.  Best thing is to get someplace cool, e.g., shade, air conditioned car...whatever.  If you keep walking and your in heat stress or heat stroke it won't help.  Recognize the symptoms - here is link to an OSHA quick fact card: http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3154.pdf  It provides symptoms and recommendations on treatment etc.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

delicate flower

I have trained for October marathons each of the last two years.  I can only speak to my own newbie experience.

I have to do my training after work, so that's around 4:00 when the day is near it's hottest.  I just slow down the pace (whether I want to or not) for the shorter runs and I carry a handheld water bottle to keep my mouth moist.  For my long runs, I carry a fully loaded fuel belt with water, and a handheld with Perpetuem.  I also run routes that allow me to circle back past my house or my car so I can refill my bottles mid-run if needed.

I hate running in the summer heat but it doesn't stop me from doing my miles.  I consistently run about a minute slower per mile in the summer.  I don't worry too much about the pace.  If I am not overexerting myself, the heat is tolerable.  When the cooler weather hits, the same effort magically yields a much faster pace.

When it gets rediculously hot, I take to the treadmill.  I can bang out 15-18 miles on one without much a problem. 

<3

I am training for my first marathon in October. Right now I am wondering how I should handle the very hot weather. Its 6:30pm at night and the temperature is 31C and with the humidex its 36 C. Think that is close to 95F. I did my 6 miles last night, but was completely dripping at the end. Should I continue to complete my work outs, reduce my mileage from 6-7 miles to 3-4 miles, or skip it all together? Thanks

Completely dripping just means that you sweat well in hot weather.  Here's another discussion on the subject: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e49bb8b7534e4a2a816a9848c0e2d225/0

zonykel

But when it's humid, sweating profusely won't help as much. If the sweat can't evaporate because of the humidity, then the body can't cool down.

Completely dripping just means that you sweat well in hot weather.  

Which is why it's a good idea to check your temperature before and after running in hot weather.  Then you will know what temperatures your body can handle.

NHLA

Run at the hottest time of the day till it gets over 90, then run in the mornings.

Run around a lake or by a river. Run at a higher altitude if thats an option. Shade if you can find it.

Run with a partner and watch each other.  I had a heat stroke.  If I had not had someone with me to make me stop running I would have been in trouble.  Warning you will not know you are in trouble you will want to finish.

zonykel

Run at the hottest time of the day till it gets over 90, then run in the mornings.

OK...

I had a heat stroke.  

Hmm... I guess I won't follow your advice about running during the hottest part of the day.

NHLA

OK...

Hmm... I guess I won't follow your advice about running during the hottest part of the day.

LOL  Heat stroke was before I started running in the heat of the day.

zonykel

Oh, that makes it all better Smile

Hydration / hat or bandana / and getting used to it. Those are about the only things that will save you. It hit 100' here yesterday and it is barely June right?  In August we will probably be hitting 110' Just start to love the heat, all the people around you will be complaining, but it can be a secret weapon on those Summer races.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

Chris T

Wait a minute...you got heat stroke before you started running in the heat of the day?

carlos49er

If you have to run in hot weather, do it indoors on a treadmill. Or you can stage cold water supply every 3 miles. Easiest is to run loops past your house. I live in AZ and have run couple times in 110F during summer. I can't carry enough water to keep cool on a 13 mile run so my course goes past 3 gas stations out and back. I buy cold water/gatorade to resupply and shower. Maybe a pack mule, they're pretty sturdy animals.