Small victory-celebrating one year of running (Read 1292 times)

Jess Causley

Hi,

I am also proud of myself, even though I am nothing like the rest of you. I am still very slowSad

My victory is that I have been running for a whole year.

I have four kids under eight and four businesses, no baby sitters, a husband who always work and I haven't got a treadmill. So I have to run around my backyard many laps while the little kids sleep, which is in the middle of the day and it is 35 degrees and no shade. I haven't been able to run during December/January as it is too hot for a Swede in Australia. But now I am back at it and love it.

I am hoping to do a few fun runs this year, perhaps a half marathon and get my 10 km time under 55 minutes. My dream is to do two non backyard runs every week. Just need to get that husband of mine to realise how important running is so he can look after the two little ones when I run. The big girls can come with me on their bikes.

I started running to get rid of post natal depression. Running is the best cure, only took me a couple of weeks to get well again.

Does anyone have any good ideas how to fit running into a buzy family life? (Can't run in the evenings as we have no streetlights and too many kangaroos).

Jess

keeponrunning

Big grin  Congrats on hitting the one year mark!!!

No advice on the busy family life thing, but I have to say, to a Canadian the 'too many kangaroos' thing made me laugh!!!  I've heard of 'risk of moose, bear, or wolves', or 'too much ice' but the kangaroos thing is a new one on me. Wink Although I could see how if they are easily aggravated you may not want to run into one!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

you titled your post as a "small victory"    running for a year is no "small victory", it is a big victory! & then battling & winning against depression & then with your hectic life & circumstances it all adds up to a tremendous victory.   your accomplishment is very motivating!    

Jess Causley

thank you.

Haaha, the kangaroos are usually very nice. I have ran into a few at daytime, when I am so tired I look down on my feet. They don't seem to move when you come, so I think I'd rather not go running at night time.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've been running for almost 5 years and my 10k time is still not under 55 minutes (granted, it's been years since I ran one and the only one near us is always held when it's like a sauna).  I think you're doing fabulously...getting out there with 4 small kids is no small feat.  Give yourself a good pat on the back.

Kangaroos...wow, I think I will take our current 10" of snow over that!   I hear 'roos are mean! Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

Run by time.  Block out times when you can run and go do it.  Get it into your routine.  Make it what you do. Fit it into your day.

I am nothing like the rest of you. I am still very slowSad

And not to be critical but lose this attitude.

Not at it at all. 

Congrats on all your victories...1 year runniversary, overcoming depression, getting out there with all your other responsibilities, and kangaroos even!!!  You have a lot to be celebrating. 

Advice on fitting running in?  Just like MrPH said, block out time when you can and get into a routine...that said, sometimes life pops up and gets in the way of your "scheduled" run...don't get too frustrated, just try to fit it in later.  What about early morning runs?

Kangaroos...wow, I think I will take our current 10" of snow over that!   I hear 'roos are mean! Shocked

And plus those boxing gloves that they always wear can be a bit intimidating. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

One year is no small victory.  Congratulations

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations!  We are all very impressed!   And, get your husband on here - we'll give him a talking-to! Smile

MrH

It's the "boing" noise that they make every time they jump that scares me.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Especially the pink ones!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

too many kangaroos?  Do you live in Healsville Sanctuary?

Don't discount your running, there are plenty of people on here that can't run as far or fast as you, and wish they could brag that they had been running for a year.  Congratulations for juggling the family, health issues and work life, well done!

All I can say is that you have to be prepared to run at any time.  I work full time, but work from home twice a week and I dress in my running clothes.  If I have a gap between meetings, I go run.  I always take the opportunity, rather than assuming my usual time slot later in the day will work, because as you know kid/work issues arise.  It takes a while to be able to mentally run at any time, but I'm so used to it now that I could eat a big bowl of spaghetti meatballs and then run.

I have a treadmill in my garage and at times the TV is baby sitting my kids, but they're always within sound range.  Sometimes gyms offer amazing deals and many are now 24x7. 

It's the "boing" noise that they make every time they jump that scares me.

the best part about them is that they eat all of the crocodiles

(fellow Australian here)

Jess Causley

Thank you all, you are so kind! Really encouraged me to keep at it.

I have found I have to run every day. Even if I can only fit in 20 minutes, I can't make it an option not to run. I used to have a nap or read a book when the kids had their afternoon sleep, but that is now my running time. Lots of people think it is a strange thing to do and that I need my rest. But I am ful of energy after a run and can manage everything much better. The same people who believe in the afternoon nap instead of running can't believe all the things I get done either. And I wouldn't get half of my jobs done if I didn't run.