Purdey's training for a 24hr ultra.... (Read 772 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

"what sort of weekly mileage were you clocking in your build up to the 100 miler"... Well, I sort of used races to get to the hunnerd... here is a link to a graph of my weekly mileage from June, 2005 through the week of the big race (deleted cause it didn't work - view my log and do a graph of weekly mileage between 6/1/05 and 2/14/06)...I had a 100K in Sept 05 that I trained through the summer for, then just tried to use races to keep the mileage base up. No week over 80 miles, only about 6-7 weeks over 60 miles (mostly with races in those weeks)... Like I said in my earlier post, I use races to keep me going (although I don't have anything on the calendar currently. They can be a great motivator, and I only "raced" one 50K and the hunnerd. Look closely at the weeks building up to the 100K in September, then again in December...that was when all the training happened, the rest of the time was just gravy! Don't forget to keep us posted! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thanks - had a look at your log - some awesome races in there! What is next for you?

jdillon334

Great quote Lynn... Sounds like the mileage is steadily increasing. I'm interested to see how this goes for you. I'm currently training for my second marathon in Chicago (my log is far from up to date) and debating on what to do after I finish this one. Whether to keep training for a better marathon time or push the mileage up and complete an ultra. I would probably complete a 50 or so miler before looking at a 100 mile race.
        Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi guys, it's been a while since I updated this log. Well the trail marathon has been and gone. Didn't quite manage my goal of sub 4hrs... was going well at half way and was on course for 3hr 30! Still on course for around 3hr 30 at 16 miles when I had a bad fall! The course was between Winchester and Salisbury (England) and was almost exclusively on trails. Many of them were chalk and so the torrential rain made parts of it very slippery. I twisted my knee and ended up having to walk/jog most of the last 7 miles. Very disappointing but at least I finished (abeit in 4hr 20). Next plan is to do some more long runs with a view to running a marathon on the road next spring and building up to the ultra in Oct 07. (A friend has mentioned an ulra in the Swiss Alps next summer - watch this space!) Tom

Wingz

Professional Noob

Oh, no!!! Surprised Black eye Is your knee okay?

Roads were made for journeys...

You'll ruin your knees!

Very disappointing but at least I finished (abeit in 4hr 20).
              I was just thinking about you this morning! Sorry to hear you tweaked your knee, hoping it isn't going to hold you up too badly. The trails are going to require you to slow down from your street pace, 3:30 in a trail marathon is AWESOME and it sounds like you were practically home free until your spill. I am 95% decided to enter a 48 hr race in mid-Nov, and am sending my application for Western States Endurance Run today. I have been buried at work, but still training (not enough long runs, I'm afraid), but am coming out of the project looking for races to run. I would love to hear about your Swiss mountain ultra...I'm holding you accountable for posting more frequently to tell of your progress! Get with it, Mr Purdey, that is unless you are injured: then the order is Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation! Take care, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

Hi guys, it's been a while since I updated this log. Well the trail marathon has been and gone. Didn't quite manage my goal of sub 4hrs... was going well at half way and was on course for 3hr 30! Still on course for around 3hr 30 at 16 miles when I had a bad fall!
                Way to go, Tom! 3:30 is my dream pace ... on the *ROAD*. Can't believe you almost managed it on a trail. I'm obsessed with the idea of getting into ultras in the next few years, so I'm watching your progress with a lot of interest. Keep it up! And keep up with the reports! I'm really curious about what you'll think about a 24-hour ultra versus a 100-mile distance ultra (once you do both, of course!)
                I am 95% decided to enter a 48 hr race in mid-Nov, and am sending my application for Western States Endurance Run today.
                Dude, you're a god. I think I have a man crush on you. The Western States is my ultimate dream run. I cannot wait to hear all about your experience. Can you do me a favor - and start a thread like this one to keep track of your training, the application process, etc ... like Purdey here is doing? Do you have a crew ready to go? (And did you use one at the Rocky Raccoon?) Are you using a pacer? Sorry, man - I'm obsessed with the Western States. And I want to see a picture of that silver buckle after your run it!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

Dude, you're a god. I think I have a man crush on you. The Western States is my ultimate dream run. I cannot wait to hear all about your experience. Can you do me a favor - and start a thread like this one to keep track of your training, the application process, etc ... like Purdey here is doing? Do you have a crew ready to go? (And did you use one at the Rocky Raccoon?) Are you using a pacer? Sorry, man - I'm obsessed with the Western States. And I want to see a picture of that silver buckle after your run it!
                  OK, Jake, you're scaring me! First let me say there is only ONE GOD and I am not (but I know I AM! - see "names for God"). That said, I think I'll hold off on starting a thread on WSER until after the Lottery (Dec 2) to see if I even get in! I did qualify for entry, but there's still a lottery and chances of gaining entry are about 1 in 4 (in 2006, expect that to be much less in 2007). Given that, I have no crew lined up nor a pacer. I did not have a crew for RR100, but I did use a pacer. Here is my race report on that event... http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=45855d5c5bcf472582064c788d9d477a, there is a link for photos I took while there as well. I don't think a silver buckle is attainable for me at WSER, as the altitude and extreme terrain will make it quite a challenge just to finish. The finish rate this past June was only 52%, primarily due to the exteme heat. Here is a link from my experience this year pacing a runner at WSER... http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=3573a03ef7bf4c6f996defc412ffb673. This was quite serendipitous. Enjoy! Lynn B

Purdey

Self anointed title

Guys thanks very much for your support!!! My knee will be fine, I've had a day off and tested it today with a gentle 5 miles on the treadmill @ 9 min/mile pace. It was fine. Rest of the week will be recovery runs, primarily to get the toxins flushed away and the muscles feeling normal again! Good luck with getting into the WS. I've read Dean K's book Ultramarathon man - it sounds like a fantastic race. I still feel I'm on track for running competitively in the 24hr race - 12 months of training to go. In the meanitme I'm planning a sub 3:30 (if all goes to plan) marathon next spring (that's fall to my american running friends!), and (maybe) this jaunt to Switzerland to run in the Alps. Keep plodding!

JakeKnight

OK, Jake, you're scaring me! First let me say there is only ONE GOD and I am not (but I know I AM! - see "names for God"). That said, I think I'll hold off on starting a thread on WSER until after the Lottery (Dec 2) to see if I even get in! I did qualify for entry, but there's still a lottery and chances of gaining entry are about 1 in 4 (in 2006, expect that to be much less in 2007). Given that, I have no crew lined up nor a pacer. I did not have a crew for RR100, but I did use a pacer. Here is my race report on that event... http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=45855d5c5bcf472582064c788d9d477a, there is a link for photos I took while there as well. I don't think a silver buckle is attainable for me at WSER, as the altitude and extreme terrain will make it quite a challenge just to finish. The finish rate this past June was only 52%, primarily due to the exteme heat. Here is a link from my experience this year pacing a runner at WSER... http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=3573a03ef7bf4c6f996defc412ffb673. This was quite serendipitous. Enjoy! Lynn B
                      /temporary highjack on Lynn: just read both your threads. I'm awe-stricken. And now bursting with questions! But rather than completely high-jack Purdey's thread, I'm going to start another one - so look for it. By the way, you've got some skills as a writer. What do you do for a living? I'd bet a case of Milwaukee's Best that some sort of writing is either your work or your hobby. Am I right? If not - it ought to be. Both of those threads ought to be pinned to the top of the forum, in my seldom humble opinion. I may go bump them just to be ornery. Look for that other thread, if you don't mind. I plan to pick your brains. Now ... back to Purdey ... /highjack off

JakeKnight

Hey - Purdey: Is Sri Chinmoy (sp?) the same place they do that ridiculous ultra that's like 3,000 miles long? Or am I confused? Is it a mile loop?

You'll ruin your knees!

The 3,000 mile event is the same place (Queens, NY) in the guru's neighborhood (Sri Chimony is a guy, I think). Here's an info link...http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/3100/about3100