Furry Friends (Read 2755 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Greyhounds are so sweet! I always think it's a breed I'd like...so quiet, gentle.... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Greyhounds are so sweet! I always think it's a breed I'd like...so quiet, gentle.... k
      Yeah, they seem like the perfect dog for us. We're getting an adult dog -- 3-5 yrs old, so we don't have to deal with the crazyness that comes with puppies. James is excited to have a napping buddy, and I am excited to have a running buddy! I talked to the Greyhound rescue lady, and she said that although they are sprinters, they can be distance runners, as long as they train properly (ie., obv don't take them for a 5 mile run when they haven't done a mile with you before). We need to finish rehabbing our kitchen and bathroom, and then we're picking up the doggie!!
      2009: BQ?
        My husband and I are getting a greyhound (rescue) next month !!!!
        aw, greyhounds are the best. june was my first, and i still daydream about getting her back (lost her in an uncomfortable custody thing when her "dad" and i parted ways-- if i hadn't been in school at the time and had crazy hours, she'd be sprawled out beside me right now...). so gentle, so sweet and chill, so good-smelling, and such amiable playmates.
          Yeah, they seem like the perfect dog for us. We're I talked to the Greyhound rescue lady, and she said that although they are sprinters, they can be distance runners, as long as they train properly (ie., obv don't take them for a 5 mile run when they haven't done a mile with you before).
          first: i am so, so excited for you! best dogs! second: the greyhound rescue lady was right, they are sprinters but some can be distance runners if you condition them to distance... but you know how every person is not a runner, and every runner is not a distance runner? same w/ greyhounds. esp. w/ rescue, you don't know what you're going to get... so you may end up w/ a beautiful dog who is a joy and a love but who may not turn out to be the running companion you hope to have. i promise you you won't have any trouble loving him/her anyway, but please bear that in mind as you watch your grey run with you-- look for early signs of distress or fatigue. w/ greyhounds, when they crash, they crash FAST, and they're pretty tough dogs to pick up and carry home. in her prime, my own greyhound was great for runs up to 20 minutes if the weather was cool-- in heat, she'd collapse (literally! just collapse) after 10 minutes of solid trotting along.
            first: i am so, so excited for you! best dogs! second: the greyhound rescue lady was right, they are sprinters but some can be distance runners if you condition them to distance... but you know how every person is not a runner, and every runner is not a distance runner? same w/ greyhounds. esp. w/ rescue, you don't know what you're going to get... so you may end up w/ a beautiful dog who is a joy and a love but who may not turn out to be the running companion you hope to have. i promise you you won't have any trouble loving him/her anyway, but please bear that in mind as you watch your grey run with you-- look for early signs of distress or fatigue. w/ greyhounds, when they crash, they crash FAST, and they're pretty tough dogs to pick up and carry home. in her prime, my own greyhound was great for runs up to 20 minutes if the weather was cool-- in heat, she'd collapse (literally! just collapse) after 10 minutes of solid trotting along.
            Thanks for the advice! I will try running with him for short distances - near the house, so we can easily go home if need be. I'm not getting him solely for the running buddy, so if it works out, cool, if not, that's cool too.
              My husband and I are getting a greyhound (rescue) next month !!!!
              Congrats! I can pretty much count on one hand the five-star decisions I've made in life, and bringing my hound home is defiinitely one of them. Hardly a day goes by without my furry comedian making me laugh for some reason or other. I adopted from an all-breed shelter that wasn't particularly knowledgeable about the breed, so I was kind of on my own. I'd recommend reading "Adopting the Racing Greyhound" by Cynthia Branigan, it really helps you to understand the dog's perspective during the transition period. It's especially important if the hound is coming straight from the track rather than a foster home. It took a while for mine to figure out that I would come back to him after work, he was quite certain that every workday departure was the last time he would see me. Now as I wish him a nice day on the way out the door, he gives me the official "yeah, whatever" look and rolls over to go back to sleep. Smile There is a huge and very helpful greyhound community (or cult depending on your point of view) so you have tons of resources for support. You can check out www.greytalk.com, my alltime favorite thread was posted by a new owner titled "I think I adopted a houseplant, and I think it hates me to boot". Or feel free to email my RA username at yahoo.com if you want. P.S. You had one beautiful hound littlem, sorry to hear 'bout the loss of custody. I'm also a big Dobie fan, and Guinness is a real looker. Maybe someday when I'm rich and famous (ha!) I'll bring one home.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congrats! I can pretty much count on one hand the five-star decisions I've made in life, and bringing my hound home is defiinitely one of them. Hardly a day goes by without my furry comedian making me laugh for some reason or other. I adopted from an all-breed shelter that wasn't particularly knowledgeable about the breed, so I was kind of on my own. I'd recommend reading "Adopting the Racing Greyhound" by Cynthia Branigan, it really helps you to understand the dog's perspective during the transition period. It's especially important if the hound is coming straight from the track rather than a foster home. It took a while for mine to figure out that I would come back to him after work, he was quite certain that every workday departure was the last time he would see me. Now as I wish him a nice day on the way out the door, he gives me the official "yeah, whatever" look and rolls over to go back to sleep. Smile There is a huge and very helpful greyhound community (or cult depending on your point of view) so you have tons of resources for support. You can check out www.greytalk.com, my alltime favorite thread was posted by a new owner titled "I think I adopted a houseplant, and I think it hates me to boot". Or feel free to email my RA username at yahoo.com if you want. P.S. You had one beautiful hound littlem, sorry to hear 'bout the loss of custody. I'm also a big Dobie fan, and Guinness is a real looker. Maybe someday when I'm rich and famous (ha!) I'll bring one home.
                LOL at that thread. I will certainly check out greytalk.com. I bought and thumbed through Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies --- great stuff, also has information on the transition from track to home. We're not sure yet if our hound will come straight from teh track or will have been in a foster home for a bit. We're going through a rescue group in Maryland/ West VA. I am really exicted! .... the cats, not so sure Tongue
                  I'm also a big Dobie fan, and Guinness is a real looker. Maybe someday when I'm rich and famous (ha!) I'll bring one home.
                  well, fyi, guinness was a shelter find! we adopted her out of manhattan, where she'd been surrendered as a pet rather than as a stray. she'd been fixed, she was in good health and her shots were up to date! i think the adoption fee was $150 b/c she was a purebred (mutts = $125 or something)! you never know what treasures you'll find in your local shelter, i guess!
                    well, fyi, guinness was a shelter find! we adopted her out of manhattan, where she'd been surrendered as a pet rather than as a stray. she'd been fixed, she was in good health and her shots were up to date! i think the adoption fee was $150 b/c she was a purebred (mutts = $125 or something)! you never know what treasures you'll find in your local shelter, i guess!
                    If you want a purebred, you can also check out local rescue groups !
                      Once upon a time...my brother's study partner. Big grin

Michelle

We are cat people. I wanted to name all out cats for people in Lord of the Ring but he wife didn't like it too much. We did have Bilbo who lived to about 19 and Frodo whostaid outside and just didn't come back one evening! We have several snakes here all wild and lurking around outside. One of the Black Rat snakes is well over 9 feet. And no we didn't measure him, we just noticed that as he crossed the drive we lost sight of head and tail and the drive is about 9 ft wide there. We also have Corn Snakes. The young ones can scare you as they look just like babby Copperheads.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

This is my husband's cousin's dog, Sandy. Spunky little thing. She loves the game of having the beach ball thrown to her and she bounces it back to the person, over and over and over and over again...when you stop, she barks like crazy. It. Gets. Old. Fast. Big grin

Michelle

Okay, not furry, but it's cute. My daughter found this while we were in NY camping.

Michelle