Shoes (Read 921 times)

dhrun

Eric, What is the normal wear (mileage) I can get from a new pair of shoes? I am currently running in ASICS-GEL-NIMBUS-VII. Thank you
      Hey, I just asked the same question in the Running 101 forum. Check it out.
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

This is the post that Cage is talking about: http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=334570487c824119ac5a69e07c7d1d21 As a rule of thumb, a pair of shoes typically last for 300 to 500 miles.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

As a rule of thumb, a pair of shoes typically last for 300 to 500 miles.
          If you are lucky. Many go through their shoes in under 300, and the lighter the shoes, the shorter their life. My Saucony shoes are usually good for right about 300.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What sort of factors do make a person go through shoes quicker, in general? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

What sort of factors do make a person go through shoes quicker, in general?
              I heard a great lecture on shoes by an owner of a local running store (a respected one). He listed these factors (in no particular order, just what I can remember off the top of my head): 1) Age (obviously) 2) Exposure to environment (especiallly water: NEVER WASH YOUR SHOES!) 3) Shoe durability (generally, lighter shoes have less durable materials... not a bad trade-off though) 4) Runner's body weight 5) Runner's foot mechanics (shuffling, scraping, dragging, uneven wear) 6) Running surface (concrete is worse than grass, for your legs too) 7) How much you "pound" (some people just hit the ground harder than others!) None of these (except exposure to water) is something that you should really worry about so that you can maximize your shoe mileage... after all, a shoe is just a tool. I buy the Adidas Boston Classic every time (and hope to for a long time), even though they tend to wear out on me by 250 miles.... that get's a little expensive, but my goal isn't to save money on shoes, it's to run longer and faster (and I love how these shoes feel). Plus, captain validation says there are lots of sports with more expensive gear than this (cycling, skiing). Big grin
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I don't think my weight would be an issue, 135 or so isn't really at either end of the spectrum for my build and height--pretty average. I have only run in rain once (not sure how I managed that), no washing machine. But I do tend to shuffle a bit and have some heel wear. I also run almost entirely on concrete/asphalt and I don't think I'm particularly light on my feet (think cavewoman, as opposed to ballerina). I'm thinking I could probably get another 200-300 miles on them (I have around 100 or so, now). Will it be pretty obvious to me when I need new? Is it a good idea if I have a big race coming up to just plan to buy maybe 3-4 weeks beforehand to break them in? I think before I do that 10 miler in mid-Sept. that I might want new shoes, especially as I hope to have my mileage in the 20-25mi/week range by then (I'm currently at about 15/week). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay