Can you ever run too slow?? (Read 2735 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Just learning to pay more attention helped some. Mixing in barefoot running helped a lot.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      How did you address said form problems? Working on it, running more, or was it the barefooting that you think helped most?
      For me, about three different things: first, I started to pay attention to how I was running because of injuries, second, I started running more distance and more frequently, and third, some coaching kind of pulled things together. (from a sprint coach, not a distance coach, strangely enough)

Hawt and sexy

The answer is no, or 42. I think.

I'm touching your pants.

Just Be

I'm overtrained right now but I wanted to run today. My legs below my calves and both of my shins burn bad after about 1 mile of running and until about 4 miles. Today I ran at 50% to 60% max heart rate, which worked out to about a 9:30 to 15:00 per mile pace depending on the incline/decline. At one point I was running up a shallow hill and there were 3 walkers ahead of me. It took me a good 5 minutes to pass them after I noticed them and as I passed it was a bit awkward because it took at least another 2 minutes until I could no longer hear their conversation. Obviously, running this slow won't benefit me much in the long term, but it's probably better than totally taking the day off... the idea is that maybe it'll help speed up my muscle recovery so I can comfortably get back to my regular training paces.
            You always need days of rest and recovery, so I wouldn't cry about running too slow, there are other positive things like stretching or eating a good meal that can make the day worthwhile. The only negative is your not really running at some point and using the basic muscles of a normal run, that said, I am trying to run slower and train my body and mind to accept base training at HR's in the 120's where the form is there yet its much easier on the body. I even did a 30 minute EFX session today because I didn't want to pound the streets.
              Thanks Ed and Viich. I've seen form improvements just by running more also, but didn't know where else advantages might lie. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm smooth all the way down to a walk, but volume has definitely lowered the speed at which I go from smooth to bouncy.
              Brandon
                I think the inability to run comfortably at any pace down to zero is a symptom of form problems. Because I used to feel the same way -- some paces were just too slow to run smoothly and efficiently. But now that I really run smoothly and efficiently, I'm comfortable at any pace down to walking speed.
                Just for curiosity. Can you run normally (no feeling of awkwardness) at 20-30 min/mi for an hour on the flats (using uphills is cheating)? In the first part of your reply you refer to "any pace down to zero" then you say you're comfortable at "any pace down to walking speed". So I'm not sure if you're saying that you still have form problems in that you can't run really slowly (slower than walking speed) or whether you consider walking speed to be some sort of minimum speed at which to run? (I'm thinking in terms of Nobby's ski instructor story where perceptions of what is being said may differ substantially among people. That's what I'm trying to clarify. Some people race walk at 7 min/mi, and I'm nowhere near that fast even for a "sprint" running.)
                "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog